The Man Who Could Topple Jack Murtha - Page 2

--
The Man Who Could Topple Jack Murtha

July 29th, 2008  
WNxRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiRooster
Many of those people had mixed feelings on the outcome of the war, President Lincoln was not well liked by many Confederates who were mostly democrat BTW.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Democratic party of that time almost the polar opposite of what it is today? They believed in a weaker central government, much like the Republicans of today.
July 29th, 2008  
AikiRooster

The main reason they wanted the weaker Feds was because they wanted the states to be able to choose whether or not to ban slavery in their individual state. So, as usual, just like today, the dems were in silly season.
July 29th, 2008  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxRogue
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Democratic party of that time almost the polar opposite of what it is today? They believed in a weaker central government, much like the Republicans of today.
Exactly Correct.

Its absurd to compare the Democrats of 1860 to the Democrats of today.
The reason is because of a rash of population migrations that took place at the turn of the 20th century. The California Gold Rush, the Industrial Revolution, etc...

Lincoln political views were more in step of todays democrats than of the Republicans.
--
July 29th, 2008  
A Can of Man

The President is not over the constitution, period.
If the ends justified the means back then, fine, but it better not become a habit.
July 29th, 2008  
major liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
If the ends justified the means back then, fine, but it better not become a habit.
That's basically what I was trying to say.
July 29th, 2008  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
--------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunatly the problem with that is that EVERY leader out there thinks he knows better than the law. George Bush still thinks he was right to spy on Americans without warrents was justified even though it violated the law.

Unfortunately for him, most Americans disagreed as did Congress.

Thats why the law is the law no ifs, ands, buts, or exceptions. If you are a country leader and you dont like a particular law, then change the law. But never break it.

If a president decides to ignore the law what kind of message does that send to the public?
July 30th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Not a very good one I suppose.
July 30th, 2008  
AikiRooster

President Bush did what what he thought was needed to protect Americans, I say he's a damned good man for that and deserves an award. At least he had the almonds to do what was right at the time to accomplish the mission. If he didn't do it, all the little whiners that claimed he was wrong might not have been alive to belly ache about it.
July 30th, 2008  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiRooster
President Bush did what what he thought was needed to protect Americans, I say he's a damned good man for that and deserves an award. At least he had the almonds to do what was right at the time to accomplish the mission. If he didn't do it, all the little whiners that claimed he was wrong might not have been alive to belly ache about it.
I guess you would consider the Founding Fathers to be whiners then...

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".

Benjamin Franklin 1759..
July 30th, 2008  
AikiRooster

Not a chance, I would assume the founding fathers smart enough to adjust with the times as President Bush did.

Funny how people like you want to throw this up bet yet when it comes to firearms for the citizens they wanna question the authenticity of what the founding fathers meant.