Making Friends Online - Page 3




 
--
Boots
 
February 6th, 2007  
Team Infidel
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
You bastard!
I really hope that comment was meant in fun.. because if it was not, then we have a little problem.
February 6th, 2007  
Donkey
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
I am however saddened a bit that right wing radicals seem to be given in my opinion more latitude to play fast and lose with the rules, but, seeing how it is not my Website, I view that as just the way things are, and the way things will be, and in the end deal with it.
Hmmm perhaps it is all in the delivery
February 6th, 2007  
Missileer
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
I really hope that comment was meant in fun.. because if it was not, then we have a little problem.
Fun or not, that type of language is against the rules. We try to head of flame wars with the inappropriate language rule and more infractions are given for language than any other. This thread is near to being closed.
--
Boots
February 6th, 2007  
Gator
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
I really hope that comment was meant in fun.. because if it was not, then we have a little problem.
My apologies, Major, I should have put that in a South Park context, but no matter. I will not joke around with you any further, Sir, and afford you nothing but the respect that your Rank in the United States Army demands, at all times.

And Missileer, understood.
February 6th, 2007  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Gator, we try not to bear down too heavy on anyone to keep things interesting. I guarantee you that the Mods and Admin get together on these things and no one gets more of a break than anyone else.

Missileer

I disagree it has become abundantly clear that threats and insults are perfectly acceptable at both a personal and national level, it is seen as acceptable to ridicule France (or European nation), North Korea, China, Cuba, Iran and there leaders and nothing will be done I can guarantee that if I extend that to the USA or George Bush I will have moderators on my arse so fast my modem will crash.

As I recall the forum rules do still state:
4. Flaming, Name Calling, Country Bashing, Spamming, Hate or Racism related posts are not accepted!

perhaps a change to reflect actual practice may be in order, I suggest:
4. Flaming, Name Calling, Country Bashing, Spamming, Hate or Racism related posts are not acceptable toward the USA all others are fair game.
February 6th, 2007  
Donkey
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I disagree it has become abundantly clear that threats and insults are perfectly acceptable at both a personal and national level, it is seen as acceptable to ridicule France (or European nation), North Korea, China, Cuba, Iran and there leaders and nothing will be done I can guarantee that if I extend that to the USA or George Bush I will have moderators on my arse so fast my modem will crash.

As I recall the forum rules do still state:
4. Flaming, Name Calling, Country Bashing, Spamming, Hate or Racism related posts are not accepted!

perhaps a change to reflect actual practice may be in order, I suggest:
4. Flaming, Name Calling, Country Bashing, Spamming, Hate or Racism related posts are not acceptable toward the USA all others are fair game.
That's a pretty bold statement.... Especially since the owner of the forum isnt even from the USA...

I would think maybe it is more your attitude and like I said before it is all in the delivery
February 6th, 2007  
Gator
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I disagree it has become abundantly clear that threats and insults are perfectly acceptable at both a personal and national level, it is seen as acceptable to ridicule France (or European nation), North Korea, China, Cuba, Iran and there leaders and nothing will be done I can guarantee that if I extend that to the USA or George Bush I will have moderators on my arse so fast my modem will crash.

As I recall the forum rules do still state:
4. Flaming, Name Calling, Country Bashing, Spamming, Hate or Racism related posts are not accepted!

perhaps a change to reflect actual practice may be in order, I suggest:
4. Flaming, Name Calling, Country Bashing, Spamming, Hate or Racism related posts are not acceptable toward the USA all others are fair game.
True, I was called a Coward in open Forum, Fleeing One Bomb, Iraqi Shoppers Die In Blast Of Another yet I just sucked it up, did not complain, and moved on.

I do not know if I would be granted the same latitude if I were to call another Poster such, but one lives and learns.

As far as the hate, well, I would hate to be from France on this Fourm.
February 6th, 2007  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey
That's a pretty bold statement.... Especially since the owner of the forum isnt even from the USA...

I would think maybe it is more your attitude and like I said before it is all in the delivery
No but the bulk of his moderators are.

As far as delivery goes on an international forum it is secondary to clarity as many of the people on it do not have English as a first language, hell its hard enough getting people to read and comprehend a post before they jump to a conclusion without having to work on delivery as well.
February 6th, 2007  
Donkey
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
No but the bulk of his moderators are.

As far as delivery goes on an international forum it is secondary to clarity as many of the people on it do not have English as a first language, hell its hard enough getting people to read and comprehend a post before they jump to a conclusion without having to work on delivery as well.
Everything in life is about delivery!

In some of my design classes we called things like that "soft skills"
February 6th, 2007  
Gator
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
No but the bulk of his moderators are.

As far as delivery goes on an international forum it is secondary to clarity as many of the people on it do not have English as a first language, hell its hard enough getting people to read and comprehend a post before they jump to a conclusion without having to work on delivery as well.
It has been my opinion that being here and treatment has much to do with what group one finds oneself in, as is human nature.
I accept that, and accept that, to not have this Site as nothing but a High-5 Fest, those of different views have to be allowed just to make or keep things interesting.

I choose not to change my personal views on matters just to make friends online, and freely accept the consequences for such.
 


Similar Topics
Massachusetts Friends
Friends Vs. Italian Friends
Sometimes, Making Peace Means Making War
making friends
New Tools Making Online Work Easier (AP)