M-16: my first time. Please help. - Page 2

--

March 10th, 2005  
thegrinch073

There would most definitly be a M249 involved. Same caliber as the M16 and normally part of the 4 man fire team. It's not crew served either, so that is what probally opened up, along with M16's.
March 10th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrinch073
There would most definitly be a M249 involved. Same caliber as the M16 and normally part of the 4 man fire team. It's not crew served either, so that is what probally opened up, along with M16's.
And a good SAW Gunner can really ruin your weekend.
March 10th, 2005  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrinch073
And a good SAW Gunner can really ruin your weekend.
Could it be that 1/2 a box in a few seconds mode? 100 rounds of anything can ruin your weekend.

Anyway, to the question, unloading 2 magazines in 10-15 seconds even with 3 round burst is possible, but the amount of 5.56 rounds going down range was probably more from the 249 than the 16's or 4's.
--
March 10th, 2005  
Rotty261

Has anyone seen anything official on the amount of rounds fired during the incident? This is a pretty sensitive subject in my mind and to many people start speculating what could have or did happen and someone will eventually get pissed off.
March 10th, 2005  
Pete031

Yeah the saw could definitely do that even without the gas setting on adverse.... are the M 4's semi and auto? or do they have the 3 round burst aswell. Our variants are semi and auto, both the regular version and carbine.
March 10th, 2005  
thegrinch073

I think M4's are both semi and full auto capable, no 3 round burst.
March 10th, 2005  
c/Commander

Depends on the M4 model.
March 10th, 2005  
Vitaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Did you read what I said?

Can you explain the difference between "a greater ability to stay on target" and "for higher probability of hit"? Obviously there is none.
I thought that there is a difference. I figured that with say the An-94 there is a high probability of hit due to the fact that with the high ROF there are two bullets going down range before the felt recoil affects sight alignment. Which results in more rounds where you aimed your first shot. For a greater ability to stay on target, it could mean that there is so little felt recoil that the sight alignment remains centered regardless of the amount of rounds that go throught it. For example if you use a conversion kit on an m-16 to the .22lr caliber. You could empty clips without the sights becoming un-aligned. That is something that is more difficult to do with a higher caliber weapon so the fact that the An-94 does have a higher probability of hit (since there are more bullets being shot without the shooter shifting the sight picture) but since the recoil is felt afterward anyway, it doesn't help in reaquiring the target which would mean nothing in the greater ability to keep the sights on target for more follow-up shots.
March 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

As 03USMC made more clear for me,

"Greater ability to stay on target gives the shooter a higher probabilty of hitting the target. Thats what Charge 7 was saying. Sustained fire in auto with the A1 caused muzzle rise which caused all but the first few rounds to go high."

You're comparing it to single shot mode. I was replying to 13th Redneck's belief that full auto had been done away with to conserve ammo. It wasn't, it was to keep the rate of fire from causing drift. You're coming at this from the complete opposite end of the discussion.
March 11th, 2005  
Vitaly

Thank you, that is what I was trying to clarify.