In the long term china VS US in outer space arms race

--

October 25th, 2004  
zbsilb

Topic: In the long term china VS US in outer space arms race

just debate it
October 25th, 2004  
texasrebel211

From the way things are going right now, China is going to win it no doubt unless the US gets its a** in gear. We are kinda just dragging ourselves along and we aren't even launching the shuttles anymore. However, the Chineese are growing (their space program) at a very fast rate. A lot of this is due to the Russians and them selling anything to the Chineese. This is also how the Chineese have been able to have such a big military build up.
October 25th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Well catchups tend to be faster than inventing things that was never done before.
--
October 25th, 2004  
Redneck

Topic: Re: In the long term china VS US in outer space arms race

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbsilb
just debate it
When you start a thread, post your own position on the subject in question, it helps stimulate discussion.
October 25th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Has China even made it to space? Did I miss something? Did they land on the moon or what?
October 25th, 2004  
battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobo_Blitzer
Has China even made it to space? Did I miss something? Did they land on the moon or what?
No, they haven't landed on the moon. Yes they've been to space though.

I doubt China will ever surpass the U.S. in space exploration. Unless they land a man on the moon this year, and land a man on mars in the next 4 years. (Yes Nasa plans to land a man on mars in 2008)

I can't provide any sources for the mars landing (sorry). You'll just have to take my word for it... It was quoted on Modern Marvels two days ago (I believe)
October 25th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

If things going well, in some 30 years Chinese space mission will be on pal with USA and Russia, I believe.

China's first manned spacecraft, the Shenzhou-5
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/space/index.htm

Chinese Space Activities
http://www.fas.org/spp/guide/china/

China is going to build its own Space Station too.

China's first astronaut crowned "Space Hero"
October 25th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Ah, well interesting.

But uh, once China makes it to that big rock in the sky, then we'll talk about competing in space.

Yeah that was like 36 years ago or somethen?
October 25th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Ah, well interesting.

But uh, once China makes it to that big rock in the sky, then we'll talk about competing in space.

Past is all past, 30 years ago you landed (well, many people including scientists doubt if you really landed on moon ), does not mean you ARE able to land on moon now, see where is your space schuttle now? You never thought you will be dependent on Russians today to send your men to space right?
October 25th, 2004  
texasrebel211

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Quote:
Ah, well interesting.

Past is all past, 30 years ago you landed (well, many people including scientists doubt if you really landed on moon ), does not mean you ARE able to land on moon now, see where is your space schuttle now? You never thought you will be dependent on Russians today to send your men to space right?
Forgot to amke the point on the Russians. The only way we can get astronauts up to the Internation Space Station is by the Russians isnce your shuttle flee t is grounded.