Lessons Learned from Ranger School

jackehammond

Folks,

This is from what Major John Whyte wrote on his experiences from a yong Lt to a Major in the US Army while serving in Iraq. The writtings were for the AUSA magazine ARMY "Company Command" column and was printed in the December 2005 issue. Unfortunately after braving the dangers of Iraq Major Whyte died as a result of an accident when he was struck while standing on the side of the road while stationed in Kansas. The following is from "Lessons from Ranger School".

Jack E. Hammond

Can someone honestly tell me that they learned true leadership skills while in Ranger school? Yes. Yes. Good. God yes! Of course!

Here are the first 20 lessons that come to mind:

1. I learned that you run off a drop zone -- and make the correction when soldiers are straggling.

2. I learned ot pull out my map even when I'm in the back of the truck on a long ride.

3. I learned the value of tie-downs and sensitive items checks.

4. I learned that hygiene is more important and what's not, and to make sure Soldiers are staying healthy.

5. I learned how to live out of a rusksack and that Soldiers carry weight they don't need.

6. I learned that snivel gear is for when you stop moving and Soldiers sneak snivel gear will become heat casualties in the winter.

7. I learned to make subordinate leaders brief you back.

8. I learned that you brief backwhat you've been told to do, even if your leader doesn't ask you to do.

9. I learned that you get out of the bag in the middle of the night to check on your soldiers.

10. I learned that staying positive and staying motivated regardless of the circumstances is a combat multiplier and that there's no such thing as negative leadership.

11. I learned how to supervise.

12. I learned that standards even if you are cold, tired, hungry or all of the above.

13. I learned how it involve subordinates in a plan without letting it be a democracy.

14. I learned how to lead and operate under pressure.

15. I learned that even if you lead squad leader is a great navigator, you still keep track of where you are.

16. I learned that you don't "finger drill" pre-combat inspections.

17. I learned to ask privates questions to make sure the plan got down to the lowest level.

18. I learned that I can lead hurt, and how to recognize when a soldier is hurt or just "wimping out."

19. I learned that you can count on a Ranger.

20. Most of all, I learned that the Ranger Creed is easy; living it is harder.

NOTE> Ok, what is meant by "snivel" gear?

All good common sense ideas. Something all infanteers etc should take note of.
Anyone here been through Ranger school?
Thoughts opinions.......

Back