Leave it to Chirac...

Well, they have modern optics, modern fire controls, they are the besy aircraft akers in europe, they have a nice little missile industry....they have lots to sell.

France's foreign policy is a bit misguided in that they always seem to be competing against other nations, where if they worked with other nations then they would be seen better in the international community, France has a history of giving potentially hostile countries weapons and equipment (Iraq + Nuclear reactor).

SHERMAN said:
Well, they have modern optics, modern fire controls, they are the besy aircraft akers in europe, they have a nice little missile industry....they have lots to sell.

Except love. No love from da franks :(

China-Germany relation can be said the best, even much better than the France relation.

Germany and France are the 2 most important nations in Europe, and they are both anti-Iraq war.

china_germany.jpg

xinsrc_012100110000289029441.jpg

Really their aim seems to be nothing other than "We can stand up to the USA, regardless of the consequences."
it's really stupid. Not to mention, ridiculously childish.

Yes, but its the only way to make sense out of French foreign policy withing recent years. Opposing whatever the USA is doing is the general rule. Of course its childish, but that's politics for you.

godofthunder9010 said:
I think that would be taking it too far Redneck, though that IS the way the wind is blowing these days. France seems mostly interested in the appearance of their own power, their total independence from outside influence, etc. They are more of a diplomatic Wild Card - you never really know what they are going to do. The are currently on a longstanding diplomatic attack on the United States foreign policy, but they are still probably someone we can count on to help repell an enemy invasion of Europe.

Ever since their pride was shattered, not once, but twice by Germany they have struggled to get rid of this enormous monkey on their shoulder. They ARE trying to prove to the world, and more to themselves, that they ARE still a world power and a force to be reckoned with. It can almost be called childish in some respects.

Jacques Chirac is a man that I can understand, but a man that I have little value for. He is most concerned above all with making sure that he looks good and that he is remembered as a proud and strong French leader worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as De Gaulle and even Napoleon. In another time he'd be a dictator.

Chirac is French, of course he works for the French interests.

Look, he just signed about 5 billion USD contracts with Chinese companies including high-speed trains and airbuses, win-win, good deal.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-10/09/content_2070508.htm
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-10/09/content_2070440.htm

France's Alstom, China ink $1.3b contracts
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-10/10/content_2071813.htm

Economy is good, politics is nonsense:
Mainland's forex reserves reach $470b:
China's foreign exchange reserve grows rapidly.
By the end of June, China gained more than 470 billion US dollars in foreign currency reserves. The State Administration of Foreign Exchange reports the total reserves increased by about 67 billion US dollars from last year's total.

Fine that Chirac is friendly with China. That's a positive side. But its not China that France seems to have something to prove with. It's the United States. It gets to the point that the United States could probably take up a cause that the French advocated first, and it would become unpopular because it involved the USA. Its all rather tiresome. As far as fostering friendlier relations with the United States, they have absolutely nothing to lose but their French pride in anti-Americanism.

I can understand French pride very well.
Compared to USA France is a much older and advanced civilization, their language is great too.
France as an advanced modern country, no reason cannot have her own foreign policy.
USA helped France some 60 years ago in WW2, but it is already so long ago, if the older generation of French should say thank to Americans, that's ok, but the new generation of France has nothing to do with some war 60 years ago.

I don't like the attitude that USA helped France some 60 years ago, therefore French should always be thankfull to USA and listen to USA even after 1000 years.

I think France is doing the right thing for France now.

FlyingFrog said:
I can understand French pride very well.
Compared to USA France is a much older and advanced civilization, their language is great too.
France as an advanced modern country, no reason cannot have her own foreign policy.
USA helped France some 60 years ago in WW2, but it is already so long ago, if the older generation of French should say thank to Americans, that's ok, but the new generation of France has nothing to do with some war 60 years ago.

I don't like the attitude that USA helped France some 60 years ago, therefore French should always be thankfull to USA and listen to USA even after 1000 years.

I think France is doing the right thing for France now.

FF i understand that you like French because they are friendly to China , but think it from the other view.

FF i understand that you like French because they are friendly to China , but think it from the other view.

Why should I like or dislike French?

I only know France is doing for her own interests, and nothing wrong with this.

Flying Frog, there are such things as alliances and being loyal to your teammates.
If one just goes off and ruins the whole thing just to show it can stand up to the big player it ruins it for everyone. This is why WE dislike France for what it keeps doing.

the_13th_redneck said:
Flying Frog, there are such things as alliances and being loyal to your teammates.
If one just goes off and ruins the whole thing just to show it can stand up to the big player it ruins it for everyone. This is why WE dislike France for what it keeps doing.

That's your problem. Why should France treat China as enemy?
Or why should Korea treat China as enemy?
It makes no sense.

Back