Landmines and the Geneva convention (from the MOS thread)

I love how only the bad guys are going to have these weapons, and everyone else is going to have to deal with them.. Its only creating a lot more problems than it will solve. When the US lays mines they always go back later and pick them up. The minefield in the DMZ along the Korean border is the only thing keeping the NKs from invading the south.

Since we are also discussing the Geneva Convention, what does the convention say about the use of: booby traps, Chemical Weapons, and hollowpoint rounds? I know that BIO warfare is outlawed, not sure about chemical though. I have also heard that hollowpoints are outlawed as well because they are seen as "unhumane", whatever that means.

JaegerWolf08 said:
I love how only the bad guys are going to have these weapons, and everyone else is going to have to deal with them.. Its only creating a lot more problems than it will solve. When the US lays mines they always go back later and pick them up. The minefield in the DMZ along the Korean border is the only thing keeping the NKs from invading the south.

Was just some overall facts ;)
Now something that should be banned is cluster bombs, they cause to much after blasts when people think they contain food (look exactly like the food containers droped from the air).

CLuster bombs are an effective anti-personnell and anti-equipment munition. They are entirely too effective to be taken off of the battlefield. Collateral damage is an inherent part of war, it should be avioded at all costs but, cannot be avoided completely. If its not nukes, its land mines, if its not land mines, its cluster bombs. Where do we draw the line?

First off there is no good guy it depens from where you look at it...2nd if the "bad guys" i asume your talking about country that arent in the NATO uhmm they use em because they are the "bad guys" the "good guys" dont use em because they have moral jugement and if you have a half a brain you will know that mines will kill more civilians then the actualy enemy.

Who they kill depends on where they are used, chief. We use them along the DMZ, around Gitmo, and for various other BASE SECURITY purposes in well defined and posted minefields. If someone is dumb enough to walk past (in fact, climb over fences and concertina wire obstacles and THEN walk past) a sign saying there is a minefield ahead and gets blown to hell, then it probably improved the gene pool anyway.

And "bad guys" are those people who use these weapons in such a way as to pose a significant threat to the civilian population of an area.

redneck, as i said our armies only use mines when they are command operated, so walking throgh a mine field is not particularly dangerous, (unless you have the remote of course)

Anti-tank mines are still allowed, and used.
And they can also be dangerous to humans on foot.

Doesn't USA use anti-personell mines too?

Yes we do, for base security (like at Guantanamo Bay) and along the DMZ in Korea.

Not understanding what your point is there, Ben.

I think The main reasons why anti personnel landmines are outlawed are
1. they dont kill, they injure
2. if the plans of the mine fields get lost or dont even exist, you have work for the next 50years to defuse them (like in kambodia)
3. "kids love em"

the US uses anti-personnel mines in the case of the Claymore in the offensive capacity, but buried mines are only used for defensive purposes.

I thought that Claymores are considered AP, only that they are command detonated. I know there are still AP mines all through the DMZ.

JaegerWolf08 said:
I thought that Claymores are considered AP, only that they are command detonated. I know there are still AP mines all through the DMZ.

"We [the US] have not used AP mines since the Gulf War in 1991."

They aren't used until they've been implemented and triggered for the purpose they were created.

And I'm told using them to dispatch a flock of seagulls does not count as used. :D

I was wondering something the other day. Will an animal(something that might wander into the area, like a dog or something) be heavy enough to set off a mine? Some animals undoubtably would be (but I don't think there are many elephants in Korea). How many pounds of pressure does it take to set off an anti-personel mine?

Will a seagull really detonate a mine?

My brother took a trip to the DMZ yesterday and took pictures. He told me about the famous 1 hole golf course thats surrounded on three sides by land mines. Talk about sand traps :twisted:

FutureRANGER said:
How many pounds of pressure does it take to set off an anti-personel mine?

From nothing to very much... :lol:
Some mines have motion sensors, some accustic sensors, trip-wire etc.., but I guess you are talking about dug down mines that you have to step on.

They can need from a couple of kg's and up..
AT mines normally needs from 100-200, depending on the type, so a human could actually set off one of those as well.

And one more thing, a remote detonated Claymore is NOT considered a mine...
It's a weapon system, since you control when it's going to detonate.. ;)

And one more thing, a remote detonated Claymore is NOT considered a mine...
It's a weapon system, since you control when it's going to detonate

Incorrect, claymores are classified as directional AP mines.

How many pounds of pressure does it take to set off an anti-personel mine?

Depends on the mine. A dog could very well set off many types.

Will a seagull really detonate a mine?

Possibly, but we called the shots on their fate that day.

RnderSafe said:
Incorrect, claymores are classified as directional AP mines.

I think this may be a language/country thing..
Claymores with tripwires are classified as AP mines, but I was talking about remote detonated claymores.
We (Norway) don't have any AP mines any more (Geneva convention), all tripwires etc. has been removed from them and remote detonators has been added to the claymore variants we had.
In Norway we call this a remote detonated sector charge (trans. from Norwegian..), and it is classified as a weapon system.
We have both AP and AT charges (M19 and M100), but we the only mines we have are different types of AT.

In Norway we call this a remote detonated sector charge (trans. from Norwegian..), and it is classified as a weapon system.

:lol: Change the classification to get around the rules? Have to love semantics, we've done that with a few things due to the human rights groups. (Still AP, but we won't tell anyone) :lol:

Back