Land Mines

--

January 21st, 2005  
Charge 7

Topic: Land Mines

Okay, this may be opening a HUGE can of worms but here goes. I'm interested in hearing what folks from other countries have to say about land mines. Particularly those from countries that have to deal with them. In the US and UK and I'm sure quite a few other places this issue has been much in the news. The US has recently banned a group of mines but not all. You can read about that here:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/05/landmines.ap/

Currently, the only mines the US reserves the right to use at any time are delayed action mines that self destruct over a period of time. There is one exception - the border of North and South Korea. To my mind, that one can't be faulted given the current state of affairs. What are your thoughts on this issue? Please hold the uproar to a minimum and discuss rather than denigrate.
January 21st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Keep 'em. Bad guys are going to use it anyways.
I hate them but it's reality.
January 21st, 2005  
Chinaman

um.. the invading forces would love to have some soviet penal batallions to clear the mines
--
January 21st, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

There is a poll on if the US should ban the use of landmines if you care to vote.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...pic.php?t=6749

Since this thread is along differnt lines, I will allow it

I will give my thoughts over the weekend. It has been a long week and I still have friday to get through.
January 21st, 2005  
Sexybeast

i think most of mines end up kiling civilians....right?

armies know there are mines and they won't step on them..
but those innocent ppl dont know...

we really got to ban mines.
January 21st, 2005  
Charge 7

Thanks, Doody. I did a search btw before creating this topic and your poll didn't come up. I wonder why?
January 21st, 2005  
Whispering Death

I think delayed action mines are a very good solution.
January 21st, 2005  
A Can of Man

It's better than nothing but you know they'll fail and still maim people... the problem is usually when armies of warlords etc plant them they don't really keep a good track of where they were buried.
Most up to scratch professional armies mark them on a map and digging them up after they're done isn't a problem. Then you have those airdropped bastards...
January 21st, 2005  
Sexybeast

sigh.....

the problem i think is that ppl now developed those powerful mines...like exploding spikes stuff....very inhumane.
January 21st, 2005  
Chinaman

the worst is chain-reaction mines, one mine denoated will blow up hundreds nearby