Japan cautious and angered of the submarine situation

November 13th, 2004  

Topic: Japan cautious and angered of the submarine situation

In Japan, 24 hours of news coverage of a Un-identified (for now) was spotted off the reef of Okinawa.

Japan protests to China over sub

The submarine was tracked by the Japanese navy
Japan has summoned a senior Chinese diplomat to issue a formal protest over a submarine spotted inside its waters earlier this week.
Japan earlier said it was sure the submarine was Chinese because of its type and apparent direction.

Japan's navy was put on alert for the first time in five years to chase it.

The incident is likely to further raise tensions between Japan and China, already locked in disputes about contested islands and gas fields.

"We made a strong protest and demanded an apology," Japanese Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura said after meeting Chinese embassy official Cheng Yonghua. China's ambassador to Japan was reportedly out of Tokyo.

Mr Machimura asked for an explanation and asked China to ensure a similar incident did not happen again.

Mr Cheng replied that he would first report to Beijing, Mr Machimura said.

The Chinese foreign ministry is reported to have convened an emergency meeting to discuss the issue.

Japan's cabinet spokesman Hiroyuki Hosoda said Japan's reaction depended on the Chinese government's response.

"We have to take into consideration many things, such as how China responds and Japan's public opinion" he said. "The question is how we deal with this issue in the big picture."

Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has called the incident "regrettable".

Although the sub did not surface, Japanese media said it had been identified by its cruising sound.

Sensitive area

The vessel was first spotted near the Sakishima islands, which lie about 120km (75 miles) south of the disputed Senkaku islands - known as the Diaoyu in Chinese.

The incident comes at a time of heightened tensions between the two countries, which are likely to become increasingly competitive in their hunt for natural resources to power their economies.

The two sides held inconclusive talks last month on gas exploration projects in the East China Sea.

China has also reportedly been angered by a Japanese defence ministry paper which speculated on reasons China might attack. It cited disputes over natural resources and territory, as well as a wider conflict involving Taiwan.

The last time Japan ordered such a high maritime alert was in 1999, when two suspected North Korean ships entered its waters.

In December 2001, a suspected North Korean spy ship sank off Japan after a shoot-out with Japan's coast guard.

Source: BBC News

November 13th, 2004  
This isn't the first time this has happened, Japan is in a consten state of worry over the fact China has been Illgaly breaking into the water bounderies and doing things such as sonar test to see how deep it is.
November 13th, 2004  
Are you assuming that they are just mapping sonar depth? Quite likely.
Another thing is that there is a dramatic increase of PLAN vessels near the border examining U.S.-Japanese Naval excersises. They are mapping sonar depth, probably for laying mines to form a blockade around Taiwan and stall U.S. Naval intervention.

I heard several other people speculate that PLAN is also gathering intellegence on reaction time and methods used by the Japanese Navy once a Sub have been detected. Risky, but might prove useful to PLAN's future.
November 13th, 2004  
From what I understood China was mapping the sea out so they would know what type of submarine to build for an Invasion of Japan one day, However China does thing that are Illegal in the worlds eyes hourly so it isn't a big IF anymore it would be more of a when.
November 13th, 2004  
And you are assuming that they are building a Sub to invade Japan one day? Very interesting. I thought they're mapping to analyze how to invade Taiwan. But the Japan was something I didn't anticipate. It's just that the massive military buildup in the PRC alarmed Japan, after leaked defense papers of to prepare the Self Defense force of Invasion from China.

Most Japanese citizens are angered by this and see China as an enemy.

Also, please note that I believe this event is no different than the American P-3 Spyplane that illegally entered Chinese Aerospace, collided along with a Chinese Intercepter Jet and later forced to land.
November 13th, 2004  
seems all the ppl forget that the island belongs to China
The Diao Yu island is China's and Japan is occupaying it ,

i really want to say some bad things about Japanese's mother but since it is violating the rules, i won't do it

but i will still protest here, that island is ours and we can do wutever we want near it
November 13th, 2004  
This is really sad, Japan wants a little piece of island even though historically it belonged to china and always did until the 19th century when japan ruthelly occupied it, same goes for the oil fields and disputed areas, ( theres a internationally rule that coasta waters up to some hundreds of miles belong to the nation coasted, therefore those waters belong to china even though japan was overly crying about and making no sense)

A french propanganda once described the war in the pacific as : confucious once said " Little man greedy and eat big, but eventually big man eat little man"

---->> japanes gonna get owned
November 13th, 2004  
<<--- because the chinese are very nationlstic( most) and if u visite one of those chinese chat forum about that incident and most people responded with: **** those japs, ********** they shoudl be nuked, lets have a tokyo masscre.... all thsoe stuff reponded hwo the chinese would react if japan took agression
November 13th, 2004  
Japanese r the most F**K bunch of AS*HO*ES I ever know. Their military act in WW II caused 600 Billions US dollers to China and yet they wanted to remain so stubbornly. This island belongs to CHina. How can it belongs to Japan?

If we notice the map details ly, u may discover that Japan claimed this as their territory was very stupid, just be coz they have some smal islands located in a tiny line and came near Diaoyu Island they claimed that this was theirs, as China's mainland were there near that island.

Boycott Japan. I hate them. Last time in WW II they did so much bad things to South East Asians. Now they shut off the Asians leaders mouth by giving economics aid. And in their homeland they said they were Heroes who tried to help us made the Imperialist out in WW II. To hell to them!
November 13th, 2004  
THe main reason being that many old world war II commanders are still in office and power of japan today, some who parcipitated in the nanjing massacre.....

People people.... ever wonder why the so called ( honoorable invincible ******** japanese army) was never able to defeat the chinese peopel??? it is because in every chinese there is the belief that they can never be defeated by foreign power save themselves...

Go to google and type in nanjing masscre and look at some site's pictures... i say look at the butchering and stuff closely, then u'll know how i feel about the japanese...

out of my uncontroled mind i say japan should be seriously nuked over ad over and over and over and over and over..............................

but in my true thinking, id say that japan should be limited its military power forever, or if that doesnt wor-______________>> bring it on japs, and as my chinese friends say: **** those japs