Is Japan capable of defending against North Korea?

SAINT

Can Japan survive under a surprise N Korea attack?

The military power of Japan seems smaller than N Korea.

But in a real conflict, will Japan be able to withstand a full scale military attack from N Korea without help from the US?

:visor:

Japan has one of the most technologically advanced military forces in the world.
Also, North Korea's ability to launch a surprise attack against Japan is minimal to the point of non existent. First off, they do not have control of either the skies or the sea and even if they did, they do not have the sufficient logistical capacity to put any force of significant size onto Japanese soil.
They would also have to somehow get past South Korean and American defense networks and also the Japanese defense network which is again, one of the world's most formidable defense nets.
The only thing the Japanese have to worry about is running out of ammunition.

As was said above, the Japanese have a vast technological advantage over the North Koreans, as well as Air and Naval superiority. They would be able to prevent any invasion of the Japanese home islands for a very long time. In short, neither of them would be able to attack the other on their home grounds.

On a side note, I hope Japan recreates its military. It would be a vast help not only in the east, but im sure with the war on terror.

As was said above, the Japanese have a vast technological advantage over the North Koreans, as well as Air and Naval superiority. They would be able to prevent any invasion of the Japanese home islands for a very long time. In short, neither of them would be able to attack the other on their home grounds.

north korea's ONLY advantages are the size of their army, and their fledgling long range missile program

as 13th has said, they'd have to get past a joint south korean/US defense.

On a side note, I hope Japan recreates its military. It would be a vast help not only in the east, but im sure with the war on terror.

i think you'll be waiting a while.

there will be (rightfully) a lot of resistance from nations that were occupied by japan in WWII. especially since japan seems reluctant to apologise for war crimes....

Japan is actually flexing its military muscle now. They've been using their forces to get close to the disputed islands of Dokdo (called Takeshima by the Japanese) and not to mention they've got their thing with China as well.
Japan's involvement in the war on terror is simply a live fire exercise for the Japanese. They want as much combat or deployment experience for their personnel for the day their Self Defense Force can become the Defense Force legally.
A rearmed Japan will not be good news. Right now Japan is obedient towards the west because it fears American power. Once that is gone, you will have your old adversarial Japan. If there is any hope of alliance with them, it's probably in a cold war against China to contain the Chinese.

Of course the question was, "Can Japan go it alone?" so to really answer that we would want to envision a Southeast Asia with no US military presence ... any closer than the Philipines I imagine. And the USA can't jump in and help, if we answering the right question.

Yes, Japan could repel them. North Korea isn't setup to do much more than blustering and saber rattling ... at least when i comes to Japan. Likely that Japan might struggle with missile launches by NK ... not sure how well they are setup to stop balistic missiles.

Can SAM-2s on AEGIS cruisers take down ballistic missiles?
But either way, yes, other than the missiles, North Korea's not much of a threat to Japan. The missiles it seem are the only thing going for North Korea at this time.

War in Korea would mean total destruction of South korean economy.
So,someday North korean regime will end but no one hope that situation.
I think,Hungry north korean people is already powerful deterrent of kim.

Last edited:
Even a peaceful reunification of the two Koreas would destroy the South Korean economy.

It needs to be a gradual process, which is idealistic thinking at best.

As for the OP question, yes, Japan could definitely repel a NK attack. They don't spend billions of dollars on top notch American weapons for nothing.

It is going to be difficult for Japan to shoot down ballistic missiles..

Japan has all the best conventional weapons but they may not have anti-ballistic missile capability.

Or do they have already..?

Back