Itallians... - Page 2




 
--
Itallians...
 
February 22nd, 2012  
BritinBritain
 
 
Itallians...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I thought all Poms had Italian ancestry after all what are the English but Romans that forgot to go home.
No Eyetye in my lineage. My great granddad was French (although I hate to admit it), my granddad was a Paddy, my mum was a taffy, my granny on one side was a Jock and my dad is English.

Weren't kiwi's originally escaped convicts from Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2007
I have question here- why do the Aussies call the British "Poms"? I have heard of this when I was watching the movie "The Lighthorsemen"- hell of an intersting movie about Aussie troops in WW1.
I was told it stood for "Prisoner of Mother England." However, I don't know if that is correct.
February 22nd, 2012  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
No Eyetye in my lineage. My great granddad was French (although I hate to admit it), my granddad was a Paddy, my mum was a taffy, my granny on one side was a Jock and my dad is English.

Weren't kiwi's originally escaped convicts from Australia?
While I wont deny a criminal nature to my nation I would like to point out that unlike the Australians we never got caught.





Quote:
I was told it stood for "Prisoner of Mother England." However, I don't know if that is correct.
There are lots of stories about how Poms became known as Poms but the easiest answer is that we call Poms Poms because we can and it pisses them off so we keep doing it.
February 22nd, 2012  
viper2007
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
While I wont deny a criminal nature to my nation I would like to point out that unlike the Australians we never got caught.



It just goes to show that Aussies are tougher to catch, thats all!


There are lots of stories about how Poms became known as Poms but the easiest answer is that we call Poms Poms because we can and it pisses them off so we keep doing it.
I see... Geez, lucky thing I am out their scope!
--
Itallians...
February 22nd, 2012  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2007
You have Italian blood, bro?

Thats interesting...
My parents came over in the early fifties and liked so much they stayed!
I still get called a bloody foriegner, so does my wife and she's as English as you can get!
At work one day someone saw my name on my badge and asked:
"Are you Italian?"
"My parents are" I answered.
"Oh, do you go home often?" he enquired.
"Yes, at the end of every shift!"
February 22nd, 2012  
viper2007
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
My parents came over in the early fifties and liked so much they stayed!
I still get called a bloody foriegner, so does my wife and she's as English as you can get!
At work one day someone saw my name on my badge and asked:
"Are you Italian?"
"My parents are" I answered.
"Oh, do you go home often?" he enquired.
"Yes, at the end of every shift!"
Thats a good one. Reminds me of a doctor we had when I was working in a hospital, in the Accident & Emergency Department. This doctor's name is Jesus D. Villamoor (a Phillipine guy). Whenever he is on duty, the nurses will always tell the patient after triage- You will be with Jesus in a short while!... You should see the look on the patient- priceless!
February 22nd, 2012  
42RM
 
My dad is from Shetland and his family has roots in Iceland and Norway.
My mom is from Jersey and her family comes from Spain.
I was born in Essex.
February 22nd, 2012  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
I was born in Essex.
I know a help line for that!

I have put up with being called eytie, wop, spic, dago, spaghetti eater, bloody foreigner, all my life.
Water off a duck's back.
I do get upset, however, when my wife and son get called it.
February 22nd, 2012  
Der Alte
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I thought all Poms had Italian ancestry after all what are the English but Romans that forgot to go home.

Or German ancestry

Typically, that every time the Italians give up - the Germans must enter and clean up the mess.

No insult intended!
February 22nd, 2012  
BritinBritain
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
While I wont deny a criminal nature to my nation I would like to point out that unlike the Australians we never got caught.



There are lots of stories about how Poms became known as Poms but the easiest answer is that we call Poms Poms because we can and it pisses them off so we keep doing it.
LOL The thing is, it don't piss us off as much as you think. In actual fact the real POMs are the Aussies and the Kiwi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
My dad is from Shetland and his family has roots in Iceland and Norway.
My mom is from Jersey and her family comes from Spain.
I was born in Essex.
Where in Essex 42RM? Both of my kids were born in St Johns Chelmsford. We use to live in East Tilbury, then moved to South Woodham Ferrers.

When I came back from Singapore I did have a very dark sun tan as well as (or did) dark almost black hair and dark brown eyes. I walked into a pub not far from home and i immediately became the center of attention as follows:-

Drinker. "Bloody immigrants coming in our pubs!"

I take off my wrist watch to show the skin underneath

Drinker "You been on holiday mate, that's one hell of a sun tan?"

Me "You could say that, two and half years in the Far East."

Drinker "Two and a half years holiday. You rich or summat???"

Me "I'm in the RAF I just did a tour there."

Drinker "Your in the RAF? What you doing in the RAF?"

Me "Getting drunk as often as I can when I can at her majesties pleasure and annoying everyone I come across in far off lands."

Drinker "Blimey have a pint on me mate."

Strangely enough I staggered out of the pub and it didn't cost me a penny (we had pennies in those days.)
February 22nd, 2012  
42RM
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
I know a help line for that!
No joy mate.
There was only one thing to do to escape the misery join the Marines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte
Or German ancestry

Typically, that every time the Italians give up - the Germans must enter and clean up the mess.


No insult intended!
And the existing British Celtic-speaking population was displaced by the Anglo-Saxons - A ruling elite who imposed their culture on the local population. Basically a German trade mark.