Isreal attacks targets in Lebanon

--

July 13th, 2006  
mmarsh

Topic: Isreal attacks targets in Lebanon

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ast/index.html

Ok here's what I dont get. Everybody knows I am not a big fan of the Isreali Government, however in this case I can perfect understand Isreals right to defend itself. What I don't understand is why Isreal is attacking Lebanon and not attacking Syria.

Hezbollah started this mess, and everybody knows they take orders from Syria not Lebanon. They operate independant from the Lebanese government and dont take any orders from them. The Lebanonese HATE the Syrians.

If Isreali really wants its soldiers back it should be turning up the pressure on Syria.
July 13th, 2006  
DefiantCdr

I disagree. The people who kidnapped the latest group of Israelis were acting out of Lebanon, which is the reason Israel is putting the pressure on Lebanon and not Syria. The Hezbollah don't take orders from anyone but themselves, they're a terrorist group, and Irael is just doing what they feel they have to in order to get their people back.
July 13th, 2006  
boris116

Hezbollah in Lebanon plays now approximately the same role as HAMAS in the Palestine. It doesn't have the overwhelming majority like HAMAS, but is very powerful.
And yes, it's backed up by Syria!
--
July 14th, 2006  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Ok here's what I dont get. Everybody knows I am not a big fan of the Isreali Government, however in this case I can perfect understand Isreals right to defend itself. What I don't understand is why Isreal is attacking Lebanon and not attacking Syria.

Hezbollah started this mess, and everybody knows they take orders from Syria not Lebanon. They operate independant from the Lebanese government and dont take any orders from them. The Lebanonese HATE the Syrians. If Isreali really wants its soldiers back it should be turning up the pressure on Syria.
Put in simple terms Hizbollah is classified as a liberation organization (classified so in 1990 or 1991), and is a part (or some sort of) of the Lebanese gouvernment. The initial attacks were launched from the Lebanese side of the border, not from Syria - attacking Lebanon is due to crack down the Hizbollah strongholds in the country and secure the borders.

Want to get rid of the rats? Pull them out of their nests...
July 14th, 2006  
The Cooler King

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris116
And yes, it's backed up by Syria!
And Iran.
July 14th, 2006  
DefiantCdr

Okay, anyone who is working against Israel is backed by 90% of Governments in that area.
July 16th, 2006  
Dark_Mark

Problem is, this overt head-on military assault isn't going to rescue the Israeli soldiers or destroy Hezbollah, just kill innocent Lebonese (which could coincidently strengthen Hezbollah). And what about the some 9000+ Arabs of many nationalities that Israel has abducted? Looks like everyone is at fault.
July 16th, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Mark
Problem is, this overt head-on military assault isn't going to rescue the Israeli soldiers or destroy Hezbollah, just kill innocent Lebonese (which could coincidently strengthen Hezbollah). And what about the some 9000+ Arabs of many nationalities that Israel has abducted? Looks like everyone is at fault.
Sure. What is the percentage of the blame on each side?
What could destroy Hezbollah in your opinion?
July 16th, 2006  
Dark_Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris116
Sure. What is the percentage of the blame on each side?
What could destroy Hezbollah in your opinion?
Hezbollah is just going to retreat to Syria or go underground, whether you bomb the boarder roads or not. I don't really feel massive military action like this is capable of destroying Hezbollah.
July 17th, 2006  
mmarsh

DefiantCmd

Your mistaken, Syria just announced yesterday that they do have some control over Hezbollah. Hezbollah gets weapons and equipment from Iran, but it has to travel to Syria as Iran and Lebanon dont share a border. The Lebanese Government has no control as they dont even have much of a military, southern Lebanon is totally out of control of Beruit. Lebanon would love to get rid of Hezbollah, they arn't like Hamas which is popluar based). Much of Hezbollah isnt even Lebonese their origins are in Syria. But these attacks against Lebonese civilians will only make them less likely to aid Isreal.

If I were Isreal I would do presicely the opposite. Instead I would arm, train, and equip the National Lebanese Army like they did in 1982 with the Christian Militias. They I would order a 2 prong attack against southern Lebanon (the lebanon from the North Isreal from the south).

Sunbi!

I understand the bombing in southern Lebanon (although I doubt their effectiveness). What I dont understand is the bombing in Beruit such as the Airport, powerstations, bridges etc. All its doing is putting hardship on Lebanese civilians, bombing these targets has little effect on Hezbollah. It seems as if Isreal is attacking Lebanonese civilians.

I just dont get it.