Iraq Pushes For Quicker Removal Of Blackwater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Boston Globe
October 18, 2007 Maliki said to seek withdrawal before 6-month deadline
By Steven R. Hurst, Associated Press
BAGHDAD - Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has pressed US Embassy officials in recent meetings to pull the Blackwater USA security firm out of Iraq even before the six-month deadline he initially set, a top aide to the Iraqi leader said yesterday.
The aide said the Americans responded that they cannot give Maliki an answer until the FBI finishes its inquiry into the event in which Iraqi officials say Blackwater personnel killed 17 Iraqis.
FBI agents on Saturday began questioning survivors and other witnesses to the Sept. 16 shooting by guards in four Blackwater gun trucks. Iraq's government says they opened fire without provocation; the company says the guards responded to an attack.
The State Department also has teams in Iraq looking into what happened. Patrick Kennedy, the department's top management official, is said to be studying whether the agency should continue using Blackwater to provide security.
Maliki's aide, who spoke on condition he not be identified because of the sensitivity of the matter, said an Australian-owned security firm whose employees mistakenly shot and killed two women Oct. 9 does not face eviction from Iraq because it quickly apologized, cooperated with authorities, and offered compensation for the deaths.
Iraq's government is demanding $8 million compensation for each of the 17 people reported killed in the Sept. 16 episode involving Blackwater.
The Maliki aide said the prime minister's office also is drafting legislation that would cancel Decree 17, a measure issued by the former US occupation government that put private security companies outside Iraqi law.
Also yesterday, a roadside bomb exploded near a police patrol and killed at least seven officers near Diwaniyah, in a Shi'ite area south of Baghdad that has seen fierce clashes between Shi'ite factions in recent months.
Violence in the area around Diwaniyah, 80 miles south of Baghdad, also has targeted the US-led coalition. Suspected Shi'ite militiamen fired mortars at two military bases and shot at a Polish helicopter Monday, prompting a battle that killed five civilians and wounded dozens, including two Polish soldiers.
Also yesterday, the military said a US soldier was killed Sunday by small-arms fire south of Baghdad.
In the north, a suicide bomber driving an explosives-laden truck struck a checkpoint manned by Kurdish troops in Diyala province, where US commanders have decided to begin the drawdown of American forces.
The attack killed at least one Kurdish soldier and wounded more than 10, said Jabbar Yawir, a spokesman for Kurdish forces.

Boston Globe
October 18, 2007 Maliki said to seek withdrawal before 6-month deadline
... $8 million compensation for each of the 17 people reported killed in the Sept. 16 episode involving Blackwater...

8 mil for each- cha cha - were they some scientists or smth??? looks like a joke to me. how many men did we lose trying to save their idiotic butts ???

8 mil for each- cha cha - were they some scientists or smth??? looks like a joke to me. how many men did we lose trying to save their idiotic butts ???

The men we lost were armed soldiers doing their duty, who were there because our collective Governments sent them. The civilians killed were unarmed citizens who were merely considered "colateral damage" by people who were acting outside the normally accepted bounds of reason.

The men we lost were armed soldiers doing their duty, who were there because our collective Governments sent them. The civilians killed were unarmed citizens who were merely considered "colateral damage" by people who were acting outside the normally accepted bounds of reason.

You got that right.
And, the way I see it, Blackwater needs to be removed not only from Iraq, but also from the United States of America, and I believe Bankrupting would seem to be the quickest way to accomplish that end, so, I'd say 8 Million each is too low, and should be bumped up to around 80 Million each.

I am with the Iraqi government on this one.

Remove Blackwater from ALL areas under American or Iraqi control, and send them packing (preferably somewhere other than other overseas areas).

The "bankruptcy" idea has merit ... America and our government can not afford these "loose cannons".

Blackwater

Ironic that I just posted a poll on this very topic.

I happen to be very familiar with this outfit and feel that a lot of what has been put forth in the media is incorrect (what's new?). They provide security and have yet to loose a customer in the wild, wild west. I would not be surprised to find a lot more come out of this enquiry by the FBI as to what sparked the shooting.

Do I believe in PMC's - I am truly undecided. I know this though, a lot of vets find work through them and that is more than can be said concerning any other private sector.

Vets can also find work in a lot of countries, killing people for a living, killing people for the highest bidder, doesnt make it right though, and, doesn't make them any less outlaws.

Point taken - however you mistake their mission for killing when its actually protecting. How many vehicles have been blown off the road in the Sunni Triangle as a result of approaching a convoy? The killing is sad after effect of the mission, but it's not what they are contracted to do... They are good at what they do - protection.
On a different tangent - should they be accountable, hell yes. Nobody should enjoy immunity when it comes to taking human life.

They are not Military, and operating under Arms in a Combat Zone.
I say the United States Military can do the job better, and should do the job, as long as the United States of America is in Iraq.

While I agree the military should be tasked w/ protection of DOD and diplomatic personel - however, they are currently OVER tasked w/ higher priority missions.
What is the alternative - another security firm? One lesser known run by foreign nationals?

While I agree the military should be tasked w/ protection of DOD and diplomatic personel - however, they are currently OVER tasked w/ higher priority missions.
What is the alternative - another security firm? One lesser known run by foreign nationals?

There is a mechanism in place for times when the Federal Government finds itself low on Troops, but high on Mission Requirements, that mechanism is called the Draft.

If a War is worth doing, then it is worth doing right.

Point taken - however you mistake their mission for killing when its actually protecting.

My point exactly - post 9.

Gator - sorry to repeat the question, but would you prefer a draft of un battle-tried young guys at risk or the strain being taken by professional experienced vets ?

Point taken - however you mistake their mission for killing when its actually protecting.

My point exactly - post 9.

Gator - sorry to repeat the question, but would you prefer a draft of un battle-tried young guys at risk or the strain being taken by professional experienced vets ?

As I have pointed out many times here on this Forum, in World War II, the United States Military used Draftees, many Draftees.
Now, you may view the people who (in my own opinion) saved the entire Earth, the American Soldier, Sailor, and Marine from World War II as a lesser individual than a modern day Blackwater Employee, but, I say Draftees can do the job just as well as the "Professional" Military, a "Professional" Military which can't seem to get the job done in Iraq, and Afghanistan strangely enough.
I do not know how it is done in your Nation, nor do I care, but in times of trouble the United States Government has Drafted Americans to Fight for this Nation, and, we have done well so far, seeing how we are on top of the World.

I kind of figured the draft card was going to be pulled from the deck!
:shoothea:

Think about it - what other resource do we tap? Here is my two cents on the draft... NO WAY, NO HOW, NOT NOW! I don't want to serve w/ some schlep that does not want to be there, has their mind on something other than the mission on hand and has no understanding of duty, courage and discipline.

Given the alternative, that is if the draft is considered the alternative, I will take Blackwater backfilling the private security for a bunch of overpaid windbags!

I kind of figured the draft card was going to be pulled from the deck!
:shoothea:

Think about it - what other resource do we tap? Here is my two cents on the draft... NO WAY, NO HOW, NOT NOW! I don't want to serve w/ some schlep that does not want to be there, has their mind on something other than the mission on hand and has no understanding of duty, courage and discipline.

Given the alternative, that is if the draft is considered the alternative, I will take Blackwater backfilling the private security for a bunch of overpaid windbags!

I have never heard such "schlep" about those millions of draftees that have served this country in time of peace and in time of war. It accounts for far more than just the "Greatest Generation" (those who gave so much during WWII). As far as "duty, courage and discipline" you can add "honor" and "country", if they aren't the poster children for these traits, would you care to tell me who is? They were mostly draftees.

Don't ever underestimate the result of a "war draft" ... Americans will ALWAYS rise to the occasion - it is what spurred the original Minutemen to fight the tyranny of their mother country, and caused so many young men (and women), to march off to war with the 'evil axis' and then brought many young people to consider a career with the military.

The genesis of the modern military owes more to the 'draft', than just a footnote of history. It has created a military who's very soul was created out of the blood and suffering of those who were drafted, who gave so much of themselves to ensure the survival of the United States and the freedoms guaranteed by our Constitution.

Many of those same draftees (or future draftees), you denigrate with your comments, are the same ones who died in Vietnam and other 'firefights' that have occured since ... who would rise to the occasion during future wars and combat.

When someone pulls the draft card from the deck, remember what we owe to those who answered the draft.

Do I believe in PMC's - I am truly undecided. I know this though, a lot of vets find work through them and that is more than can be said concerning any other private sector.

We have covered this matter in several other threads, but I feel that due to the fact we have a new member it would be wise to reinforce this matter.

Tsunami, our first consideration in this debate is be to be honest and get the terminology correct, otherwise we are all just missing the major point. The very term "PMCs", is nothing more than sweet tasting euphemism for Mercenaries. This has previously been debated and shown to be the case. The very fact that the euphemism is used instead of the correct term is a good indicator that something stinks about it all.

Until this is accepted we may as well just p!ss into the wind, as the whole debate is based on incorrect assumption.

Last edited:
You can spout the history of warfare till your blue in the face - the truth is, you need only go back to the late 60's, early 70's. General Wesley Kanne Clark noted in his last book what the draft had done to the Army - the moral was shot and discipline was a joke. Now I can't speak for the Minutemen (a bit b/f my time) nor the soldiers that stepped forward from what is considered the "Greatest Generation," but I can say that I have no interest what-so-ever in seeing My Army deginerate into what was... Maybe its a bit different onboard ship?
--
Concerning PMC's and whatever you want to label them - they are necessary. Speaking to Blackwater in particular - they serve their purpose and they employ honorable men and woman. To spout any diffent is speaking in ignorance. Take a look at their site and see if you have the minimum quals, many of us do not. I have no problem with a soldier serving his time and going to a firm such as Blackwater and earning $100k plus a year, the alternative is another unemployed vet - no thanks.
:read:

'Now, you may view the people who (in my own opinion) saved the entire Earth, the American Soldier, Sailor, and Marine from World War II as a lesser individual than a modern day Blackwater Employee.

I do not know how it is done in your Nation, nor do I care.' quote.

Hey WINDBAG - Don't ever put your crumby sentiments into my mouth. I reckon I have a great deal more respect for those boys than you could drum up in a million years. You are very quick to want to send them out again I see, rather than have professional volunteers try to do the job.

As for your comment re. 'my nation ' - On the 1st day of The Somme we took 60,000 casualties and came back for more. As far as what you think, read my
lips .................. !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back