IRAN-EU Talks.

EagleHammer

I have heard that this talk might be the last chance for Iran to avoid Sanctions.
And i Wonder Would EU dare something like that.?

I have heard that this talk might be the last chance for Iran to avoid Sanctions.
And i Wonder Would EU dare something like that.?

Dare something like weak insignificant sanctions, oh the humanity.

Probally not though it would be deemed to "provactive"

Dare something like weak insignificant sanctions, oh the humanity.

Probally not though it would be deemed to "provactive"

Do you mean provocative or pro-active? There is a world of difference.... talking before sanctioning can be called pro-active. Shutting them down economically and threatening them militaristicly without wanting to talk could be seen as provocative by some. But they hardly matter do they? (also a bit provocative :))

Do you mean provocative or pro-active? There is a world of difference.... talking before sanctioning can be called pro-active. Shutting them down economically and threatening them militaristicly without wanting to talk could be seen as provocative by some. But they hardly matter do they? (also a bit provocative :smile:)
Ok, I ment provocative. ( Im in AP english to, doesnt the American school system make you proud) We've been talking for a long time, and nothing has happend for a long time, so I think its time for meaningful sanctions. Not a toilet paper sanction.

Ok, I ment provocative. ( Im in AP english to, doesnt the American school system make you proud) We've been talking for a long time, and nothing has happend for a long time, so I think its time for meaningful sanctions. Not a toilet paper sanction.

True enough.... It is known that negotiating with some "extra's" to level with make things a lot easier. So I actually do agree that if you want to negotiate, you must be willing to turn the screws tight (and have the means to do so of course). And yes, it is time that things are spelled out to Iran and see how they react to that. But by no means should you start to threaten them straight of the bat, this rarely works...

True enough.... It is known that negotiating with some "extra's" to level with make things a lot easier. So I actually do agree that if you want to negotiate, you must be willing to turn the screws tight (and have the means to do so of course). And yes, it is time that things are spelled out to Iran and see how they react to that. But by no means should you start to threaten them straight of the bat, this rarely works...
I agree threatning just makes it less likely they will comply, because theyd be seen as giving in to the big bad westerners. They also have to know that if they continue to develop a nuclear program and meddle in others affairs, the west does have the means and the will to do something about it, rather it be economical or further down the road military related. If not they can ignore us without worry. Sadly I think most european nations are not prepared to do anything about Iran. I realize were talking years here, but its been a year since this Iran program first came to light and not a lot of progress has been made. The Israelis claim that Iran is 6 months away from haveing the bomb. That is in all likelyhood an exageration ment to spur action, but everyday this drags on they get closer and the harder it gets to stop.

Last edited:
Rabs said:
Sadly I think most european nations are not prepared to do anything about Iran. I realize were talking years here, but its been a year since this Iran program first came to light and not a lot of progress has been made. The Israelis claim that Iran is 6 months away from haveing the bomb.

Please bare in mind that Europe has seen the horrors of war too many times at first hand. The last time an American city was razed to the ground must have been the Civil War and doesn't even come close to the industrial destruction of complete cities during WW II. In short Europe is not a continent that goes to war easily...
Secondly; we also have our own estimates about the Iranian program and we listen badly to someone else's estimate. If Israel says 6 months..... we'll we need more that that claim to spur into action. I do realize what the consequences are when we are wrong. But sometiimes I doubt whether the US foreign office or the Mossaf realize what the consequences are when they are wrong.

Secondly; we also have our own estimates about the Iranian program and we listen badly to someone else's estimate. If Israel says 6 months..... we'll we need more that that claim to spur into action. I do realize what the consequences are when we are wrong. But sometiimes I doubt whether the US foreign office or the Mossaf realize what the consequences are when they are wrong

The cost of us being right and doing nothing are just way too high in this case. Like I said Israels 6 months are probally a bit exagerated ment to spur action.

War on civilians is a terrible thing, but so is Tel Aviv or NYC being vaporized by a Iranian supplied nuke. Or just haveing a nuclear power in the middle east that's leader may or may not be clincally insane.

To be perfectly honest I dont think anything will come of the talks and I have very strong doubts as to whether sanctions will come about either as neither Russia nor China are likely to back them due to their own national interests.

Talks with a rogue regime is useless and wouldnt take us anywhere.

Doesn't that depend of the size of gun they are holding to your head? It is also quite useless to pound Teheran into dust and then find out there was no threat.... People tend to remember that kind of poopoo. Some might even get upset and start hating the ones who dunnit... It is called a vicious circle. Communicating helps breaking such a circle.

As long as people talk to each other, there is less chance of war. the EU does not need to sanction Iran, as long as there is no proof that the country is doing anything wrong! Other countries - no names mentioned - keep breaking international laws without any reaction coming from the so-called civilised nations. It is once more as case of money talking louder than words.
Please do not keep quoting Churchill, Roosevelt called him a drunken Bum, today we could refer to many other politicians in the same way, without insulting them. Commander in chief or not.

These EU3 talks with the mullahs will create another North Korea in the heart of the middle-east.

The key to this issue is to help change the regime in Tehran and put a democratic and responsible gov't in place for good

The key to this issue is to help change the regime in Tehran and put a democratic and responsible gov't in place for good
Hate to tell you this, but the government in Iran is a democratically elected government.

Last edited:
It is a pseudo-democratic govt, more like a perversion of democracy. There are elected and unelected institutions (split roughly half and half), with the overall majority of power going to the unelected side, in the form of a Supreme Leader (or Absolute Leader). He has direct authority over the president, armed forces, judiciary system, expediency council, and guardian council (who conveniently confirm all the elected positions).

The only check on the supreme leader is the Assembly of Experts (86 mullahs), which are elected positions, who must be vetted by the guardian council, who is under the control of the supreme leader.

Is that democracy?

(Source: one of my foreign govt texts.)

Iran-EU talks... this was done before in 1938 I believe, Chamberlain and Hitler with the Munich Agreement. Europe's governments are suffering from short term memory loss or a lack of balls.

Back