IRAN-EU Talks.

--

September 11th, 2006  
EagleHammer

Topic: IRAN-EU Talks.

I have heard that this talk might be the last chance for Iran to avoid Sanctions.
And i Wonder Would EU dare something like that.?
September 11th, 2006  
Rabs

Quote:
I have heard that this talk might be the last chance for Iran to avoid Sanctions.
And i Wonder Would EU dare something like that.?
Dare something like weak insignificant sanctions, oh the humanity.

Probally not though it would be deemed to "provactive"
September 12th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
Dare something like weak insignificant sanctions, oh the humanity.

Probally not though it would be deemed to "provactive"
Do you mean provocative or pro-active? There is a world of difference.... talking before sanctioning can be called pro-active. Shutting them down economically and threatening them militaristicly without wanting to talk could be seen as provocative by some. But they hardly matter do they? (also a bit provocative )
--
September 12th, 2006  
Rabs

Quote:
Do you mean provocative or pro-active? There is a world of difference.... talking before sanctioning can be called pro-active. Shutting them down economically and threatening them militaristicly without wanting to talk could be seen as provocative by some. But they hardly matter do they? (also a bit provocative )
Ok, I ment provocative. ( Im in AP english to, doesnt the American school system make you proud) We've been talking for a long time, and nothing has happend for a long time, so I think its time for meaningful sanctions. Not a toilet paper sanction.
September 13th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
Ok, I ment provocative. ( Im in AP english to, doesnt the American school system make you proud) We've been talking for a long time, and nothing has happend for a long time, so I think its time for meaningful sanctions. Not a toilet paper sanction.
True enough.... It is known that negotiating with some "extra's" to level with make things a lot easier. So I actually do agree that if you want to negotiate, you must be willing to turn the screws tight (and have the means to do so of course). And yes, it is time that things are spelled out to Iran and see how they react to that. But by no means should you start to threaten them straight of the bat, this rarely works...
September 13th, 2006  
Rabs

Quote:
True enough.... It is known that negotiating with some "extra's" to level with make things a lot easier. So I actually do agree that if you want to negotiate, you must be willing to turn the screws tight (and have the means to do so of course). And yes, it is time that things are spelled out to Iran and see how they react to that. But by no means should you start to threaten them straight of the bat, this rarely works...
I agree threatning just makes it less likely they will comply, because theyd be seen as giving in to the big bad westerners. They also have to know that if they continue to develop a nuclear program and meddle in others affairs, the west does have the means and the will to do something about it, rather it be economical or further down the road military related. If not they can ignore us without worry. Sadly I think most european nations are not prepared to do anything about Iran. I realize were talking years here, but its been a year since this Iran program first came to light and not a lot of progress has been made. The Israelis claim that Iran is 6 months away from haveing the bomb. That is in all likelyhood an exageration ment to spur action, but everyday this drags on they get closer and the harder it gets to stop.
September 14th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
Sadly I think most european nations are not prepared to do anything about Iran. I realize were talking years here, but its been a year since this Iran program first came to light and not a lot of progress has been made. The Israelis claim that Iran is 6 months away from haveing the bomb.
Please bare in mind that Europe has seen the horrors of war too many times at first hand. The last time an American city was razed to the ground must have been the Civil War and doesn't even come close to the industrial destruction of complete cities during WW II. In short Europe is not a continent that goes to war easily...
Secondly; we also have our own estimates about the Iranian program and we listen badly to someone else's estimate. If Israel says 6 months..... we'll we need more that that claim to spur into action. I do realize what the consequences are when we are wrong. But sometiimes I doubt whether the US foreign office or the Mossaf realize what the consequences are when they are wrong.
September 14th, 2006  
Rabs

Quote:
Secondly; we also have our own estimates about the Iranian program and we listen badly to someone else's estimate. If Israel says 6 months..... we'll we need more that that claim to spur into action. I do realize what the consequences are when we are wrong. But sometiimes I doubt whether the US foreign office or the Mossaf realize what the consequences are when they are wrong
The cost of us being right and doing nothing are just way too high in this case. Like I said Israels 6 months are probally a bit exagerated ment to spur action.

War on civilians is a terrible thing, but so is Tel Aviv or NYC being vaporized by a Iranian supplied nuke. Or just haveing a nuclear power in the middle east that's leader may or may not be clincally insane.
September 16th, 2006  
MontyB

To be perfectly honest I dont think anything will come of the talks and I have very strong doubts as to whether sanctions will come about either as neither Russia nor China are likely to back them due to their own national interests.
September 16th, 2006  
sandy

http://memri.org/bin/opener.cgi?Page...es&ID=SP128206
Quote:
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: If America Wants Relations With Iran, It Must Wake Up From Its Dream of Returning the Iranian People 30 Years Backwards
Nothing go for europe,all goes as he hope?