Interesting email I wanted to share. - Page 2

--
Boots

June 22nd, 2008  
Insomniac

it killed two cities worth of CIVILIANS!

and that's not terrorism?
June 22nd, 2008  
03USMC

No. Those civilians were put in that position by their leaders. Leaders who had refused to accept or acknowledge the fact that Japan had lost the war. Leaders that would in the case of invasion persude (by force if necessary) the civilian population to resist any invasion. Leaders that had already forced civilians on Saipan, Guam and Okinawa to take their own lives when it was clear they had lost the battle. Leaders who cared more about their saving face than the fate of their own people.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were military targets, the Japanese considered them "Army Cities". But by this point in the war the industry was pretty much back yard factories and even if the industry hadn't been crippled the Japanese had a strange habit of putting industry in neighborhoods anyway.

For what it's worth the fire bombing of Tokyo caused more civilian deaths than the A-bombs combined. And the Japanese leadership didn't get the message then, that was their wake up call and they slept thru it.

So no it was a military measure to save allied lives.
June 22nd, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I'll take exception to this part of your list. This was not a terrorist act. This was an act of war. This was an act that was used against a nation under declaration of war. This was also an act that saved at the very least one half million American, British, Aussie, Kiwi and Dutch troops that would have had to invade the home islands of Japan if the two A-bombs had not been dropped.
I agree as posted in other threads I think the use of the A-Bomb in WW2 was necessary.

Unfortunately that list isn't mine it was one I found (as indicated at the start of the post) but felt it better to post it in full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
it killed two cities worth of CIVILIANS!

and that's not terrorism?
Just as many civilians died in the firebombing of Dresden and Hamburg (some say Dresden alone) but I rarely see that described as terrorism, the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki while "possibly" unnecessary did bring a war that had cost millions of lives to an end and as has been stated saved countless allied lives by removing the need to invade.
--
Boots
June 22nd, 2008  
Insomniac

meh, i see myself fighting a losing battle here.

but to be honest, i see bombing civilians in any situation, war or otherwise, as wrong. It's dragging innocent people into something they don't want to be part of. otherwise they wouldn't be civilians.
June 22nd, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
meh, i see myself fighting a losing battle here.

but to be honest, i see bombing civilians in any situation, war or otherwise, as wrong. It's dragging innocent people into something they don't want to be part of. otherwise they wouldn't be civilians.
Then you have to question all sides in WW2 especially RAF Bomber Command and the Luftwaffe as the bombing of civilian targets was their primary mandate.

I would agree that in todays world the bombing of civilian targets is unnecessary because we have overcome the inaccuracies of bombing, why send a thousand aircraft when you can hit the target with precision from 2000 miles. But during WW2 that accuracy wasn't available and it was easier to hit the civilians who built bombs, tanks, aircraft and ships than it was to hit the factories themselves.

But I think the question you have to ask yourself is how many enemy civilians would you sacrifice to save your own people?
June 23rd, 2008  
A Can of Man

Civilians, as people like to separate them from war, are a large part of any war effort. Though spraying them with machine gun fire intentionally isn't exactly desirable, if you live close enough to munitions factories, you're asking for it.