India & USA military relationship

--

October 28th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Topic: India & USA military relationship

This bothers me a bit:
India as a democratic country, USA also a democratic country.
It seems to me that India is not buying much weapons from USA, why?

Only because of the embargo imposed on India after the nuke thing?
Or USA actually does not sell top-notch weapons to India at all?

What's the current military relationship btw India and USA? Cool or Hot?
What's the status of the embargo if there is such a embargo?

India & USA relationship good or bad? How come that?

Above a lot of questions, you can pick anyone if you like.

Thanks.
October 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Economically, the relationship couldn't be much rosier. I think that US diplomacy need to focus more on India. There is no reason for the USA and India to NOT be much closer. The USA keeps its distance partly to keep clear of the India/Pakistan messes I suppose. Also, the USA tries to remain friendly to both sides and has had a very good relationship with Pakistan in the past. If you had to pick one or the other for an ally for completely selfish reasons, its pretty obvious that you'd want India over Pakistan.

India buys arms from where they are cheaper. USA may arguably have the best gear, but its also very expensive. To the best of my knowledge, the USA doesn't currently sell arms to India because India shops elsewhere.

I'm not aware of there being any embargo currently. Can you post a link to bring me up to speed?
October 28th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

That's very good of you mentioning Pakistan. View taken ( I just forgot Pakistan).

I don't know either if USA is having an embargo on India now or not, I did hear there was one after India tested Nukes years ago.

I was trying to Google "American arms embargo on India" But Google gave me back this one "EU to Maintain Arms Embargo on China -- 10/12/2004", I think I am pretty much pissed off now.
--
October 28th, 2004  
ravensword227

The alliance with Pakistan has always been a mutually beneficial one. They let us base spy planes that we used to find out what the Soviets were up to, and they helped us with diplomatic relations with China. In recent years, they have been a big ally in the war against terrorism. We help them out in return by selling them weapons and giving them our best interest in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
EU to Maintain Arms Embargo on China -- 10/12/2004", I think I am pretty much pissed off now.
Man do you guys need help in that area... I bought a Norinco Mak-90 before the import ban, and I had numerous problems with it. The workmanship was shoddy and it had burs all in the action. OF course AKs have loose tolerances so it didnít really effect functionality, but you could hit the broadside of a barn with it. Also, the receivers arenít properly heat treated and they have a tendency to split after several thousand rounds.
October 28th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

I wonder what is the major weapons buy of India from USA, cannot think out too much, while Pakistan bought some F-16's.
October 28th, 2004  
ravensword227

I know we sold block two Patriot missile systems to India because ours were cheaper and supposedly more effective than anything Russia had.
October 28th, 2004  
SHERMAN

the USA dosent sell top notch to any but its prime allise... The indians right now mainly update existing systems. they are buying alot of improvement packs from Israel, and put tem on their British and Russian made weapons.
October 29th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

It's true Israel supplies many top-notch stuff to India, including the AWACS and avionics.
October 29th, 2004  
Xion

USA imposed some sanctions on India after the 1998 nuclear tests carried out in Pokhran, India.But still these days we here in India hear a lot about top notch US military officials visiting India and that the sanctions are to be removed soon.I think the co-operation is pretty good cos I think the US knows that even though India performed nuclear tests it has signed the nuclear non-profileration and the no first use treaty and is a responsible state.
Here's some recent news links:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...how/881424.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...how/895422.cms

(btw frog did the chinese media post anything about china supporting India's candidature for UN Security Council ? , was a pleasant shock to us indians lol )
October 29th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
(btw frog did the chinese media post anything about china supporting India's candidature for UN Security Council ? , was a pleasant shock to us indians lol )
Haven't seen you for a while, nice to see you back mate.

First thanks for the Links.

Yes, China supports India to be in UNSC, and Chinese media reported this in all headlines. And most of Chinese people support you too. Me too

Btw, it is only a question of time for India since India will be on Top 3 Nations in near future, I bet in 2040, so just be patient like we do