Ignorant Foreigner Attempts to Bash MY County

LCPLSMITH

Recently I put a video on youtube I made comparing the movie 300 to modern day U.S. Marines. I got one response from a Greek citizen I thought you'd all like to read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc-IQ1DOtTI

HIS COMMENT:
"I really dont try to underestimate the ability of your armed forces. It's obvious that you are a military superpower. But there is no relationship between you and us. We will be proud if someone who is fighting for his/her freedom try to use our name.
But you? What are you fighting for? For freedom? Who you?
Secondly what you have to understand is that for people in Greece the last years "mania" of Americans about Sparta and rest of ancient Greece in the beginning it was just humorous but by the time and the increasing interested of your people about our history had begun insulting also.
The reason for that is that is obvious that you keep what you like from us (military discipline etc.) by trying to "cover" it with your behaviors and acts and trying to equalize our heroes with what you call fight against terrorism.
Your behavior to the humanity is disgusting I will really feel ashamed if the future historians have the same view for both of us.
Before starting making comments about Greece try at least to know us through reality for our past and for our present not by Hollywood movies which are showing us like a group of cartoon heroes, or by novels like Hotgates.

To be equal with a Spartan begins from stopping screaming like a barbarian (OORAH!!!)

You don't have an idea who we were and who we are."

MY RESPONSE:
"haha really, a wannabe spartan? Actually, I'm quite happy as an American Marine Infantryman. You should eat your own words son, because if you refuse to take what I have told you from first hand experience (seeing as how I've been to Iraq, I guarentee I know more than you do about its people, the persian culture, and the state of affairs as they now stand), to heart, than you refuse yourself TRUTH and VIRTUE, and that my friend, should be a crime. Now since you seem to be so worthy, as to call yourself a Spartan, lets here why.. What have you done to better this world? What have you done to fight for freedom? Ill bet you do nothing but talk. You preach all day and all night, and yet you never act. I acted on what I believed and still believe to be an honorable course of action, freeing the people of Iraq from tyranny, and supplying the world with oil (seeing as how we get little of our oil from Iraq, and Greece gets more than 4 times the amount from their sand than we do). You sit on your computer and use improper grammar to offend a people you know nothing of (though you think you know much). Why don't you spend more time worrying about yourself an d doing things (physically, not verbally), to make your own country great and advance its democracy and freedoms, than spend time trying to belittle others. That is my challenge for you friend. Accept it if you have the grit. If not, coward away like a rat. Wide is the gate and easy is the path that leads to destruction; however, narrow is the gate and difficult is the path that leads to glory."

HIS COMMENT:

You compare yourself to an honorable pure spartan, and yet you kill innocent people and rape 14 year old girls. youre nothing but a payed mercenary. a bUNCH of barbarians.

MY RESPONSE:

Actually yes I would. Seeing as how I am a U.S. Marine Infantryman whose been to Iraq, I can pretty well guarantee I know more about whats going on over there than you do, so I'd be more than happy to fill you in. First of all, U.S. Marines are not mercenaries, they're professional warriors; however, you are correct in that we are barbarians. Second, there have been few, if any cases where a U.S. Marine rapes a 14 year old girl in the middle east, and if there has been a case, than one incident cannot define a group. If you honestly believe that than give me your ethnicity, nationality, race, sex, whatever, and ill find you ten examples where your people have done worse. Next, the incident at Abu Gharib was isolated and it has not happened since then, not to mention no one was tortured to death. I'm not sure where you got the idea that thousands of poor, "innocent" people were humiliated, except those who chose to fight us "barbarians" as they were defeated quite handily and quickly.. And finally, we have plenty of our own oil in the United States and latin America, not to mention oil from Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Syria, and Chad. I would appreciate it if you kept your ignorant comments to yourself since, seeing as how you've not been to Iraq to see for yourself, you know very little.
P.S. Those pure spartan warriors really aren't so pure.. Read a history book. Don't believe everything you hear on the t.v. news kid. If thats the case, well, can you honestly tell me you believe in the Men in Black?

If you have any more questions, let me know! I'd be glad to help!

SEMPER FI US MARINES! OORAH!

Last edited:
HIS COMMENT:

Beyond the rest you just prove me how unworthy you are to call yourself Spartan the time that you delete my comment.
Spartans don't afraid of free speech. They don't afraid because they are looking for virtue in any sector of their lives. And free speech could lead to TRUTH and VIRTUE.

You are just an other wannabe Spartan.

MY RESPONSE:

Alright, I honor your words friend, and I take heed of how strongly you feel about your country, but first of all, you are not an American fighting man. You think you understand our people, but you do not. Our country breeds a man to honor his father and mother. We teach our children that it is every American's duty to serve their country, however that may be (whether it be militarily, politically, economically, by advancing ourselves through education). But what no one understands, not even the American civilian, is that the American fighting man does not fight for his flag, or for glory, but for the man next to him. I know this because I have seen combat. I have faught and killed my enemies, not because I have a particular disdain for he or she, but because he or she endangers my brothers in arms. This directly relates to the spartan phalanx, the use of a shield to defend not yourself, but the man next to you. You have little experience in your life, though I respect your opinion as a fellow patriot. My parents emigrated from Italy, right across the way from Greece, so I understand more of that region's culture than what you may think. You said that, and I quote, "to be equal with a Spartan begins from stopping screaming like a barbarian (OORAH!!!)". This is clearly incorrect, as many scholars will agree, if you research your own people, that the Spartans used scare tactics like loud screaming to intimidate their enemies and to inspire courage. I am proud of my actions in Iraq. Several hundred Iraqi's approached me in particular with tears in their eyes, thanking me for ridding them of the Saddam regime. They cry uncontrollably as they were allowed to vote for real, and this time, it counted. I built many schools and many homes. I defended families from vicious attacks by Iraqi's previously imprisoned as murderers. So do not pretend to understand my people. You understand only what you have been told, or what you see on one-sided biased news stations like CNN, BBC, MSNBC, Fox News, or other American and european news organizations.

Lcpl

You really dont want to be like Spartans. They were bunch of crazy jihadists of their time.

You are correct. I do not want to be a Spartan, as I outlined in my responses to this ignorant young man. I'm proud of being a grunt.

LcplSmith,

I am about as pro US as you will find, however this whole argy bargy falls into a category that I have difficulty dealing with.

You must understand that there are people in this world that do not take it kindly to be associated with American culture. This is especially so with persons who are very proud of their own culture and see little comparison with the US. I admire the US, however I would not like to see our Australian culture associated with your own, we do have our own separate and distinct way of life. Not all of your culture suits our country or lifestyle and I can sympathise with your Greek counterpart.

Your title is typical of what is perceived by others as typical American arrogance. Because a foreigner is patriotic does NOT make him ignorant.

Last edited:
It is not his patriotism that maks him ignorant. If you notice, I even told him that I admired his patriotic attitude. Its his comments to me, clearly ment to insult. Its the lies he spoke about killing and humiliating thousands of people, and its the way he called me a and my fellow Marines payed mercenaries and barbarians. That, my friend, is what makes him ignorant. I respect your opinion though, and I can see where you are coming from.

I think that you are wearing your heart on your sleeve. We are all ignorant to one degree or another, there will always be people with other points of view, and they are not all completely wrong, and they are entitled to their own points of view. We may not necessarily agree with them, but that's democracy. (another Greek export)

haha yes brother I agree! He is entitled to his opinion and, as you can see, I even mentioned that I valued his opinion. Im not perfect, nor is my country.

No, we all just do our jobs, and on that point I must leave, but before I go I would like to say "Thanks for doing a great job". It ain't easy, and not everyone understands.

You had some good facts in there, and he just had bullsh*t. the killing and raping innocents. Where did he dream up that?? maybe it happens once or twice, but it is delt with and is very rare. And he cant possibly try to play off that the Spartans never did that either.

Very true! The Spartans used to practice killing by going out and murdering drifters that wandered through Sparta and other parts of Greece. I wonder sometimes if this is what foreign countries tell their people about us. I talked to a Belgian citizen whose a med school student in turkey, and she said she read a book all about how American soldiers and Marines kill innocent people and rape civilians. Its this kind of propaganda that influences people who can't think for themselves. This happens all the time in the U.S. too. Our liberal media is terrible, only to be countered by the conservative media. There is no neutral news anywhere that I know of. I'm not sure the human psyche can eliminate subconsciously skewing their articles one direction or another.

One way that you can help stop these false ideas, is to disassociate yourselves with such things as a lot of the stupid clips that are being shown on sites like YouTube, where you can see and hear idiots cheering and whooping as they force an Iraqi driver of the road, rolling his vehicle, throwing flashbangs among a shepherds flock, and shouting abuse at the locals. I know that these are isolated cases, but there are ten clips like that, for every one showing humanitarian acts.

Every time this type of thing is seen by others, all coalition troops lose credibility in the eyes of the world. Where possible I flag this material as inappropriate wherever I see it. It's just one more piece of propaganda for the opposition to throw in our faces.

Senojekips makes a very good point! He's absolutely right, I reprimanded many young devil dogs for doing inappropriate things while in country.

GREEKS COMMENT:

First of all don't make democracy lessons on a Greek. Since you dont accept the right of the others to express their opinions which dont fit on your fake world and you delete comments don't make democracy lessons.Especially since you come from a country that the courts decide the results of elections. Even the word democracy is Greek.

Second you don't know what Im doing in life so you cant judje me.
One think Im not doing for sure: Killing people and paid for that.

Third what you are saying that you are fighting for? Freedom? From what? You are a freedom fighter? Did Iraq attack you? NO. Did you find any relation between 9/11 terrorists attacks and Iraqi government? NO. Then for what freedom you are fighting for?

Fourth, you judge me on the use of your language (improper grammar). At least I can communicate with you in your language. You cant in mine. How can someone who doesnt know my language judge me about the use of his language? Only if he is American I guess.

Fifth, you are the one who offended my people by trying to equalize your barbarian soldiers(including you) with my ancestors. Action-reaction. I react to your insulting behavior.`

Just try to study Spartans a little more. Scare tactics and psychological war was based on Cryptea (ΚΡΥΠΤΕΙΑ) (intelligence services), on their uniforms and most of all on the Paeanes (ΠΑΙΑΝΕΣ)(war songs) that they were singing before they reach the enemy lines. As for the loud screaming that you mention they didnt scream. The spoke loudly saying EL-EV, EL-EV (ЕΛΕΥΕΛΕΥ)which means the light comes (in ancient dialect).
The differnce between the barbarians and the Greeks was exactly that, that the barbarians were just screaming (OOORAAAHHH, YUUUUPI, OOOLLEEE etc.) the Greeks were never scream they were SPEAK. It is different to speak loud from screaming.
LOGIC=SPEAK, INSTINCT=SCREAM. Even the animals can scream.
For more lessons about my people just send a message.

MY RESPONSE:

First of all, you do not need to offend me. I am trying to have a reasonable, gentlemanly debate (but I guess as a barbarian that's hard for me to do). You need to learn to speak with tact. Than, perhaps, I'll take what you are saying to heart. Answer me this friend. The spartans were taught to kill innocent drifters passing through sparta and other parts of Greece to hone their fighting skills for battle. Is this a pure thing to do? Iraq harbored terrorists and there is much proof of this. Al Queda had occupied many towns in Iraq, including the town I was in, Al Quim, and Fallujah well before the attacks on 9/11. We told the war, if you harbor terrorists, you will pay, and so Iraq payed in full. We fought for the freedom of the Iraqi people. Something you wouldnt understand considering how lucky you've been to live in a place with such "perfect democracy" as Greece does (seeing as how you invented the concept and seem to know all about it). Have you ever gone 10 days without food for speaking your mind? Have you ever lost a family member because you refused to vote in an election with one candidate, Saddam Hussein? I truely doubt that you have. The courageous and honorable people of Iraq endured many atrocities, including genocide, so don't begin to lecture me on what you THINK you know about what we fight for. Until you've been there, and seen the tears in their eyes, and received the "thank you's" I received, do not for one second lecture me on what I fought for. I lost many friends in Iraq, brothers, and I do not take well to being lectured by some child who thinks he understands the world around him. Perhaps you've heard this before. It originated from your people, "If you want peace, prepare for war"! Getting payed to kill people who prey on the weak and helpless is fine by me and at the end of the day, at least my conscience is clean.

You are right, I do not speak greek, but is Greek the international language? If it was, than I can assure you I would have learned it in school. Plus, is it my fault my school only offered Spanish, French, German, Russian, Japanese, and Chinese (Mandurin)? I am fluent in French and would love to speak with you in that language, seeing as how apparently you're a language expert. If your country was attacked, and answer me honestly, would you sit back and do nothing? Until it is your country that gets attacked with the severity and viciousness that was 9/11, than don't presume to understand what I fight for. If you didn't do at least what I have done for your country, had it been in our situation, I would call you a coward, friend.

Personally, I would just walk away from him and leave him to his ideas. Your heart and mind is in the right place, and that is what counts. You do not have to prove yourself, or your ideas.

Yes sir, I certainly should walk away, but I want to hear if he has any more words of wisdom. Perhaps I am wrong, and I am a barbarian who is totally blinded by all of the American propoganda! I really want this young man to set me free, and show me where I've gone wrong in my cognitive processes! (The moment he convinces me that I'm wrong...)

Deep down though, I know you are right senojekips! That is the right thing to do.

Yes sir, I certainly should walk away, but I want to hear if he has any more words of wisdom. Perhaps I am wrong, and I am a barbarian who is totally blinded by all of the American propoganda! I really want this young man to set me free, and show me where I've gone wrong in my cognitive processes! (The moment he convinces me that I'm wrong...)

Deep down though, I know you are right senojekips! That is the right thing to do.
You say that like he had many to begin with...

Back