If Hitler died early? Germany vs Allies

--

January 9th, 2005  
gladius

Topic: If Hitler died early? Germany vs Allies

This is a two part question.

What if Hitler died early, could the German generals (Manstien, Romel, ect.,) have induced a stalemate against the combined might of the Allies. The more I think about this the more unlikely this might have happened given the massive resources of the Allies. I'm asking this question barring the USA dropping the A-bomb on Berlin, let's assume they still drop it on Japan only.

1) Could Germany have forced a stalemate, say if Hilter died two months before D-Day?

At this point I'm guessing probably maybe, but they would have to get lucky somehow. Under normal circumstances it would have been very hard, if not near impossible.

2) Could Germany have forced a stalemate, say if Hilter died two months after D-Day?

At this point, I'm pretty sure the answer is no. The vice-like pressure from both East and West was just too much. I'm sure they could have delayed it, but still they would have lost.

Do most here have the same thoughts on this? I don't see any way Germany could have forced a stalemate especially on the second part. On the fist part there still is somewhat of a chance. The reason I'm asking is I'm still not entirely sure, could they have done it?
January 10th, 2005  
Darcia

If Hitler had died early then they would be to busy fighting over who would be the next leader to realy care about making a stalemate. another thing is they would have probably keept the war going claiming it was the will of the Late Fuhrer, you have to remember Hitler put himself as a god to the people at first.
January 10th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: what if?

If Hitler died earlier, would of USA joined world war? would of their been a world invasion huh
--
January 10th, 2005  
gladius

First of all the war is already well underway the US is already involved, (two montsh before D-day). I wasn't talking before the war, if that happened there would probably be no war.

Secondly, does anyone remember the failed plot to kill Hitler. This happened during WWII. They tried to assasinate him but it failed. They arrested all his cronies, they had already everthing set up of who was going to take over the government, so there would NOT have been an internal struggle, of them fighting with themsleves. There were also other plot besides this one but none ever came this close

This is the whole premise of the question, could the German high command effectively force a stalemate against the Allies, with Hitler's mismanagement out of the way? I could see them doing it against the Russians alone, but with the Western Allies as well it would be near impossible.
January 10th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
First of all the war is already well underway the US is already involved, (two montsh before D-day). I wasn't talking before the war, if that happened there would probably be no war.

Secondly, does anyone remember the failed plot to kill Hitler. This happened during WWII. They tried to assasinate him but it failed. They arrested all his cronies, they had already everthing set up of who was going to take over the government, so there would NOT have been an internal struggle, of them fighting with themsleves. There were also other plot besides this one but none ever came this close

This is the whole premise of the question, could the German high command effectively force a stalemate against the Allies, with Hitler's mismanagement out of the way? I could see them doing it against the Russians alone, but with the Western Allies as well it would be near impossible.
No. The war is already over for Germany by this time, whether or not the Western Allies are directly involved. From here on in the Red Army and the VVS (with critical Lend Lease support) can beat the Germans all by themselves. Germany's last chance to force any kind of stalemate was at Kursk in mid '43. After that battle had not brought about the expected victory it was only a matter of time before the Germans were defeated.

Stalin reputedly offered a stalemate to Hitler in early '43, after the recapture of Kharkov by Manstein. Hitler turned it down flat as he was still convinced that ultimate victory was achievable. Even if Kursk had been successful, decisive victory was no longer possible. A limited victory however, still would have been within reach.
January 11th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: help me??

Ok I don't wanna start any arguements, buit wasn't the usa only fully fledged into ww2 in 1941................i mean yeah i know they sent over willing pilots etc but it wasn't til 1941 that america joined like england had been from day 1?

I can remember history at school and watching tv documentry's (not by choice) on it.

But its just a question
January 11th, 2005  
rOk

If Hitler died early there would have been a surrender.
And there were several plots against Hitler if memory serves correct.
January 11th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: yep yep

Any one with a mind, right or mad would plot against hitler!!!!!!!!!!!
January 11th, 2005  
beardo

I think that if hitler die AFTER the war had started but BEFORE D-Day then the germans would have won. Why? because it was hitlers stubborn-ness and lack of military talent that held the germans up so much in russia....if he would have left it to his generals...the best in the world experience wise..they would have beaten russia..and had their entire army on the western front...that and unlimeted supplies coming from russia and germany
January 11th, 2005  
Earling

Hmmm... Il be honest I have never really been sold on the "blame everything on Hitlers mismanagement" theory as to why the eastern front eventually turned against the germans.

Unless someone really wants to point out how Hitler played a greater part in the german defeat than simple logistical failures and that without Hitler these same logistical failures could have been overcome I fail too see how Hitlers death at almost any stage would really have changed things for the better of the german war effort.