How did your country get its name ? - Page 4

February 20th, 2005  
Australia means land to the south.
Proper meaning is "unknown southern land", taken from Terra Australis. Shortened to Australia for convinience, or "Straya" as we tend to pronounce it.
February 20th, 2005  
Originally Posted by TBA_PAKI
And 'PAK' means 'PURE' in english!
English ?.Sounds like an urdu word to me.
March 1st, 2005  

Topic: Origin of "Japan", "Nippon", "Nihon

I found the subject definitions at this link:

So, basically, all three originated in Chinese.

September 6th, 2010  
Originally Posted by Bootboy82
I did a little research on wikipedia and this is what i found:

• Denmark: This name has something to do with "Danevirke" (Dane's work) which is a earthen defense structure.
This is an old thread I know, but itís not entirely accurate.

Denmark is called Danmark in Danish.

The prefix "Dan-" refers to Danir or King Dan
In Old Norse language the people in genitive majority was called "danir" which could mean something like "flat rural residents."

The suffix "Mark" was in Old High German and Anglo-Saxon language used in the sense of "borderland". So Danmark means "flat rural residents borderlands" Denmarkís borderland to the to the south is Germany.

Danmark (Denamearc), is already mentioned around the year 890 by the Norwegian Ottar in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle Orosius.
September 6th, 2010  
Jilly interesting thread.
September 7th, 2010  
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
Zealand is a region of the Netherlands.
Indeed and New Zealand was originally named Staten Landt by the Dutch navigator Abel Tasman who first charted the country, New Zealand is an anglicised version of the name given to us by Dutch map makers who were working with Tasmans charts.
September 8th, 2010  
I think Pakistan is the only country whose name is made up from an anachronym. 'P'unjab, 'A'fghania,'K'hyber pakhtunkhia, balochis'TAN'.
September 8th, 2010  
US was already done so here is France.

A big clue comes from modern-day German. In German France is called Frankland its original name after the fall of the Roman Empire. (It was previously known as Gaul). Frankland means "Land of the Franks".

The Franks were a Germanic tribe from the lower Rhine which by the 3rd Century AD had begun occupying large areas of Gaul by both immigration and raiding westward. But rather than simply conqueror these former Roman provinces the Franks assimilated themselves into them. This is why much of French culture has a decided Latin flavor to it rather than a Germanic one. By the 9th century AD the Frankish Empire had occupied much of modern day France and it was at this time that the term Frank was stopped being to denote a ethnic tribe but rather a nationality. As is so often with many languages, Evolution to ancient languages changed the word "Frank" to "French".
September 8th, 2010  
Now that the thread's officially resurrected...

Originally Posted by Bootboy82
The English (derived from Latin Germania) and the German (Deutschland)name refers to a tribe called Teutons (literally Teuton's land) whereas the Italian and French for example refer to the tribe of the Alemanni.
Actually, the terms 'deutsch' and 'Deutschland' have nothing to do with the 'Teutons'. They are derived from the Old High German word 'diutisc', which roughly means 'of the people' or 'speaking the language of the people' and was used to describe a number of Germanic tribes speaking a common language, in contrast to 'walhisk' used for Celtics and (Gallo-)Romans.
The words for 'German' in many languages are derived from this 'diutisc': Danish and Norwegian 'tysk' as well as the Swedish 'tyska', Spanish 'tudesco', Italian 'tedesco', Dutch 'duits' (and the term 'Dutch' itself)...

And mmarsh: it's 'Frankreich'.
September 8th, 2010  
The name "Turkiye" has been used for about a thousand years. Other civilizations called the places that Turks live Turkiye (Turkhia). In the 4th century A.D, Byzantine called the whole Middle Asia "Turkhia" means "Land of the Turks".

After the 1071 Manzikert War, the Turks conquered the Anatolia. And from that time Anatolia is called Turkiye ( Turcia ). Marco Polo named Anatolia as Turcia Minor, and he named Middle Asia, Turcia Major .