How Close are we to a US Draft? - Page 3

--

October 17th, 2005  
uncle charlie

[
Yeah, awsome plan. We'll have to feed, cloth, train, and shelter a multi-million man army and with our leftover money we might have just enough to put an M-16 on a donkey cart and call it our nation's only tank.[/quote]

Well, get rid of welfare, and all this money we're giving in aid to countries that can't fix their own problems, like most of africa, and it would'nt be a problem.
October 17th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
What is so different? We, the US of A, are still in Iraq & Afganistan, recruiting is still falling short of goals. It seems to me that the case for the draft is getting closer to reality than you would like to admit.
In June attacks where up and we'd just recieved word that the Iraqi units where much less able than previously thought.

Now, we've seen multiple very successful operations in Iraq, one of which marked the first time there where more Iraqi troops in the operation than American troops!

We've just had the ellection that was marked as one of the most bloodless days in the last few months.

I think the situation has changed significantly in the last 4 months, that's my opinion. I don't think a draft is even within consideration now. My opinion on what should have happened in 2003? We needed about twice as many men.
October 17th, 2005  
bulldogg

I think the political reality of the situation is such that no draft will be called for by a president with a 39% approval rating. His party would run him through as it would guarantee a landslide for the opposition. If they are going to do it it will happen after the next big election barring a national emergency like opening another front in like say Korea or Iran or an insurgency on American soil.
--
October 17th, 2005  
Whispering Death

^ Yeah, that's another one too. There wasn't a Katrina nor Rita back in mid-June and Bush was much more popular 4 months ago.

Amazing how the world can change in 4 months?
October 17th, 2005  
therise21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
^ Yeah, that's another one too. There wasn't a Katrina nor Rita back in mid-June and Bush was much more popular 4 months ago.

Amazing how the world can change in 4 months?

it is amazing how much it can change but i dont see why we would open another thread about present draft conditions. just consider it an update.
October 19th, 2005  
JAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
doubt it will happen!
Yep ..thats what i said
November 3rd, 2005  
FULLMETALJACKET

unless a major war starts i doubt it.
November 4th, 2005  
EagleZtrike

naw we don't need a draft. I don't think a draft wil happen. If it does the citizens will be outraged.
November 7th, 2005  
CIkari17

The way I see it,

In this day and age the only way a draft would occur is if our country REALLY needs to go that route, in which case you can sign me up!
November 8th, 2005  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleZtrike
naw we don't need a draft. I don't think a draft wil happen. If it does the citizens will be outraged.
The citizens will be outraged if we lose in Iraq. Our current forces cannot stand this level of attrition forever (some in the Pentagon say as early as mid-2006). At somepoint they are going to have to exit Iraq or the Government is going to have to get new troops (not recycled ones) from somewhere.

Basically its lose-lose for the White House.