Gunships Unleashed - Page 4

--

August 5th, 2007  
A Can of Man

Phoenix needs some tranquilizers.
I don't think anyone would really deny that a lot of leftists do in fact seem to at least emotionally support the terrorists but by placing that sort of post right in the middle of InfernO's post makes it like you're suggesting he is one. He's already established that he's served and seems to even come from a family with some military tradition.
You can't call everyone who disagrees with you a leftist communist, America hating liberal.
Some of the people I respect most (some with a military background) are in fact against the war in Iraq. Their view towards that or other conflicts does not necessarily affect how I think of them. The same should apply to you.
August 5th, 2007  
senojekips

Phoenix, maybe your heart is in the right place, I don't know, but personally I think that you are trying too hard to appear as "somewhere to the right of Ghengis Khan". It has come to my attention that many of your articles here are often of a standard that could be viewed as nothing more than hard line propaganda. So much so as to lose credibility in my eyes, and it seems in the eyes of others.

It is a fact that the "truth" generally lies somewhere between the extremities of any debate such as these on this forum. IMO your views seem to be at the end of the scale and really it does you no favours.
August 5th, 2007  
Yossarian

I can't burn Phoenix 80, but, this conversation has many bends in it, and , this is , kinda getting further and further from the route source. And the fact that some of the more recent post in this thread, have NO relation to the Lockheed Martin AC 130 Specter , and or it's USAF crews. Or U.S. military operations or doctrine. And some how , some way, it turned into the scrutiny of Phoenix 80, the author of this thread. Cause for those who did say something, and I mean this in a calm, mature non offensive manner, I think that's we have a PM feature for.

I will admit I have comments in this thread that mislead the topic. And I rightly share the burn. But that has me pondering a question.

Does this happen often?
--
August 5th, 2007  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukio
I can't burn Phoenix 80, but, this conversation has many bends in it, and , this is , kinda getting further and further from the route source. And the fact that some of the more recent post in this thread, have NO relation to the Lockheed Martin AC 130 Specter , and or it's USAF crews. Or U.S. military operations or doctrine. And some how , some way, it turned into the scrutiny of Phoenix 80, the author of this thread. Cause for those who did say something, and I mean this in a calm, mature non offensive manner, I think that's we have a PM feature for.

I will admit I have comments in this thread that mislead the topic. And I rightly share the burn. But that has me pondering a question.

Does this happen often?
Sukio, I'm not PMing this to you as I feel that others have a right to read it also as with my previous post.

What you say is absolutely correct, and a very astute judgement for a young man of your age. I guess that it's just a part of human nature, some of us just don't suffer fools easily. No, I am not implying that P80 or anyone else, is a fool per se. What I am suggesting is,perhaps some persons should just ease up a bit.

Many of the worlds troubles (especially those discussed on this forum) are linked to fanaticism and they won't be solved by extremist views. Extremism is just fanaticism in a pretty wrapper. Problems are only caused by fanaticism, never solved.

Right, wrong or indifferent, at times I see P80's (and a few others) views here as extremist. I am not baiting him or flaming him, just pointing out that perhaps his presentation is doing his agenda no favours and that he would be given far greater credibility if he were to see some shades of grey. No debate is purely black and white.

Yes Sukio, your point was quite valid so this is the last I will say on the matter here unless I am asked.
August 5th, 2007  
bulldogg

Asked what?

August 6th, 2007  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukio
I can't burn Phoenix 80, but, this conversation has many bends in it, and , this is , kinda getting further and further from the root source. And the fact that some of the more recent post in this thread, have NO relation to the Lockheed Martin AC 130 Specter, and or it's USAF crews. Or U.S. military operations or doctrine. And some how, some way, it turned into the scrutiny of Phoenix 80, the author of this thread.

To correct you, Sukio, I am the author of this thread. And I posted it to provoke a discussion on the doctrine and use of the AC-130, in light of more recent operations and in hopes of producing comments from those members who have served in areas where this aircraft has been used in this role. I, as a moderator, have been monitoring this discussion off and on and 03USMC beat me to it, but I certainly agree with his assessment concerning the off-topic comments by some posters.

The topic of the thread is as stated : a discussion on the doctrine and use of the AC-130.

Now, again, let's stick to the subject and stop the name calling and baiting and flaming comments. You all know who I am referring to and I won't mind handing out infractions the next time this happens.
August 6th, 2007  
major liability

If my grandfather ran out of the Dresden firebombing, I'm sure they can get out of the way of a lone gunship.
August 6th, 2007  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Asked what?
Asked to explain my reasoning.
August 6th, 2007  
phoenix80

The discovery channel had a documentary on Spectre.

One of the guns used on this bird is actually from World War II era.... It is interesting, isnt it?

AC-130H Spectre - Military Aircraft

Factsheets : AC-130H/U Gunship : AC-130H/U Gunship

http://www.tankopoly.com/his/pic/ac130e.jpg

August 6th, 2007  
Infern0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80

One of the guns used on this bird is actually from World War II era.... It is interesting, isnt it?

i take it you're refering to the bofors 40mm gun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_...i-aircraft_gun

supreme example of an enduring design