Guns of WWII - Page 2

--

March 9th, 2004  
Redneck

Actually, for all the great things you hear about the M1 Garand, one of my professors is a Korean War vet, and he told me he absolutely hated it. Said it was easily fouled by debris and jammed often.
March 9th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Not to mention the difficulty of reloading before the bandolier was empty.
March 9th, 2004  
Popeye

Bah... M1 was a great rifle, thats why it was the standard weapon. Yes, it does have its downfalls but every gun does. For it's time 60 years ago it was a great gun.
--
March 9th, 2004  
Redneck

You got any experience to back that up? I'm inclined to believe a man who actually used one in combat.
March 9th, 2004  
Popeye

Haha, you got me there... no real-combat experience, only documents.

But hey, that's just ONE guy who hated it that much, I think you would have saw a lot more soldiers with '03's if they hated the Garand that much... because they still had an option(most soldiers)
March 9th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: Generations gap..

By korea the M1 was getting old...In WWII it was considerd good, apart from the loading diffeculties. I guss that by the 50's, it was getting outdated...
March 10th, 2004  
diplomatic_means

There was a browning rifle that was also used in WW2 that I saw talked about on mail call the other night, it sounded better than the M1.
March 10th, 2004  
Redneck

You're not referring to the M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), are you?
March 10th, 2004  
diplomatic_means

I don't remember what it was called though I think the military bought a little over 1,000 of them in 1941 and pretty much just gave it to special forces though I am not quite sure.
March 10th, 2004  
Redneck

Any more specific information? What caliber, was it automatic or semi, bolt action or self-loading, what it generally looks like, etc.?