Gun Control in Gaza

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Hamas has tough road in disarming Gaza By SARAH EL DEEB, Associated Press Writer
Thu Jun 21, 4:20 PM ET

A metal door, a window frame and a faucet were the only items dropped off at a Hamas weapons collection point Thursday, a sign the Islamic militant group faces serious trouble in getting its hands on Gaza's estimated 400,000 firearms.

The three discarded items fell under the category of "looted government property" that Hamas also demanded be turned in along with weapons by Thursday. But it was arms the group really wanted.

Hamas leaders threatened harsh punishment for anyone caught with guns after the deadline.

But in chaotic Gaza, where defeated Fatah militants are hiding out and clan grudges can flare into open warfare at any moment, few believe Hamas will recover even a fraction of the territory's arsenal — enough to arm nearly one of every three people.

Some Fatah fighters said they hid their weapons away from their homes so Hamas gunmen would not find them in searches. Some buried their weapons, including one who said he put his gun under the family chicken coop.

Others said they threw their rifles into the sea rather than risk them falling into Hamas hands.

"I prefer to shoot myself rather than give them my gun. I don't trust them at all," said a 33-year-old Fatah-affiliated security officer, who gave his name only as Abu Subhi for fear of retaliation from Hamas.

The Islamic militants scored a major success last week by securing many of the weapons held by Gaza's security forces, most of whom were loyal to Fatah, analysts said. Hamas fighters captured the arms stored at security headquarters and used lists of officers to collect weapons at their homes.

"It looks to us that Hamas has succeeded in collecting the majority of the registered weapons that belong to the Palestinian security forces," said Hazem Abu Shanab, a Gaza-based political analyst.

Jamal al-Jarrah, commander of the Hamas militia known as the Executive Force, said Hamas had collected 90 percent of the security force weapons.

But the security forces had only 15,000 firearms — a number that pales against the 400,000 weapons estimated to be inside the Gaza Strip, analysts and former security officials said.

A measure of the difficulty of disarming the myriad private gangs came over the weekend in the southern city of Khan Younis, where Hamas forces and a clan known for drug-smuggling fought a five-hour battle with mortars and automatic weapons. Two people were killed, but Hamas came away with only a fifth of the family's arsenal, a Hamas official said.

As part of its weapons collection campaign, Hamas sent cars with loudspeakers into the streets and made announcements from mosques warning defeated security officers not to keep their weapons. It also phoned them at home demanding their weapons and asked tribal leaders to negotiate an arms handover.

The group set up seven sites around Gaza City for people to drop off their weapons, including the Shafei mosque in the eastern part of the city.

In the mosque's courtyard, young boys eagerly waited at a reception table with scrap paper, a pencil and a Quran, ready to collect and list guns or looted government property. All they got was the metal door, window frame and faucet. Someone also turned in a pocket knife.

Elsewhere, the group got back a small pickup truck that had been stolen from an intelligence security post.

Hamas said it wants only to gather weapons that might be used against it, and has no interest in firearms used for fighting Israel.

"Only those with clean hands should carry weapons. All the organizations that are using these guns to defend themselves against the occupation will be welcomed and supported," Mahmoud Zahar, a top Hamas official, told The Associated Press.

"But if people use guns to cause strife between families or to attack the official and unofficial institutions, they will be collected."

Hamas' mission has been made far more difficult by the rampant smuggling that brought arms into Gaza through tunnels under the Egyptian border — the source of much of Hamas' own arsenal.

The inflow of arms allowed many clans to build up their own militias with firepower and training rivaling the official security forces, a situation that was evident in Hamas' battle in Khan Younis last weekend.

Militants found themselves fighting a bitter battle in narrow alleys when they besieged the clan compound of the drug-smuggling clan, which was known for supporting Fatah.

Hamas stopped the fight after a clan leader agreed to hand over his fighters' weapons, said a clan security officer, who gave his name only as Abu Mohammed to keep his identity hidden from the militants.

The clan eventually turned over five rifles and a handgun. When asked if that was the family's whole arsenal, Abu Mohammed only smiled.

"It looks to us that Hamas has succeeded in collecting the majority of the registered weapons that belong to the Palestinian security forces," said Hazem Abu Shanab, a Gaza-based political analyst.

Hmmm.... Registration is what all of you anti-gunners keep talking about. That firearms should be licensed and registered. You all say that by doing so you keep people safe.

Well, explain how the frak you're going to keep that information from falling into the wrong hands. You all say that something like that cannot happen in the USA. Well, for frakking wrong. Folks said Hitler couldn't get into officer. Folks said 50 years ago that we'd never be on the damn moon. 110 years ago folks said man would never make a airplane.

THAT IS WHY I'M AGAINST REGISTRATION. BECAUSE IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS **** CAN CHANGE REAL QUICK AND THE UN OR THE DAMN BATFE OR SOME OTHER GROUP OF NOBODIES CAN COME KNOCKING ON MY DOOR AND DEMANDING THAT I DISARM MYSELF. WELL FRAK THEM AND YOU THAT WANT ME TO REGISTER MY DAMN FIREARMS.

Hamas, a damn terrorist group is collecting the guns of those that wish to fight them and keep them from seeking power. By supporting weapon registration, you frakking support them.

Dude you are a riot.

I suggest packing up that traveling NRA road show of yours head to Gaza I am sure there is a street corner you could assemble the soapbox and start handing out guns, after all I think we are all in agreement that what the middle east needs almost as much as the US needs more lawyers is more guns.

Maybe you create flyer's you know the sort of thing picture of sad dejected 12 year old standing amongst the rubble of his home with the caption "poor little Abdul all he wanted to do was grow and shoot at Israeli's like his brothers but no Hamas had to take away his right to maim at will and now he has no AK47 to call home (which is Ironic as he has no home either now)"

Last edited:
Registration is merely the first step in disarming the population. Just ask Australian shooters.

We've been down this road before, but it's a warning that's never wasted.

The situation is different. USA is a country that is able to enforce the regulations and has functioning government whereas the Gaza Strip does not.

Last edited:
guncontrol.jpg

Gun control is only an American issue... wtf. Australia, UK, Russia... perhaps you would care to clarify or at least tell us what you're smoking.

Gun control is only an American issue... wtf. Australia, UK, Russia... perhaps you would care to clarify or at least tell us what you're smoking.
I will refrain from that statement. Australia, Brazil, Canada, and others are also involved in Gun politics, but "Gun Politics" does not exist or has never existed in the Gaza Strip. The Fatah and Hamas are too busy fighting one another to discuss how to deal with gun ownership for ordinary citizens.

If you're using this current crisis as a basis in supporting the ideas of the firearms advocacy groups or to "catapult" the propaganda for the NRA, it doesn't make any sense. The Second Admendment of the US Constitution or any of the rule of law in dealing with gun ownership does not apply in the Gaza Strip therefore the NRA should keep the discussion on the domestic side.

So nothing can be learned about gun control from the experiences of other countries?
Is the conditions and circumstances of the Gaza Strip is similar to that of the US?

If the Republican party and democrat party decided to take up arms, then many Americans can learn a lot how to provide security for themselves. However I doubt that will ever happen.

Last edited:
The guns in the Gaza Strip will never be taken away in large or even meaningful quantities. Its like disarming Somalia, it will never happen. It has nothing to do with gun control, its just a simple fact.

So nothing can be learned about gun control from the experiences of other countries?

Why yes, look at Brazil. It has no gun control laws and it has one of the highest murder rates in the world. In 2002 the murder rate was 4x higher that those of the U.S.

And anybody who believed that Gaza needs more guns is nuts. Thats like saying Iraq needs more guns.

Last edited:
Back