Greatest Secretary of State?

--

July 14th, 2008  
Del Boy

Topic: Greatest Secretary of State?

Just to damp things down a little, can I ask who is considered to have been the greatest US Secretary of State?
July 14th, 2008  
tomtom22

Marshall?
July 14th, 2008  
Del Boy

I have a suggested candidate, but as i am not American I thought it would be good idea to throw it open and learn a little from guys who know the subject well. I will wait and see what transpires before putting my guy forward.

So far we have a good candidate from Tomtom - Marshall.
--
July 14th, 2008  
Gunner13

1. George Marshall

2. Henry Kissinger

3. William Seward - you try to buy Alaska and see how much it costs you!

Too soon to tell where Colin Powell and Condi Rice will rank (far above Madelin Albright, I do believe )
July 15th, 2008  
AikiRooster

Agreed Gunner13 on #3 1/2. (Albright looks like the old man in the Munster's, it and Janet Reno probably had to shave twice a day to keep the facial hair from showing).
I was going to say either Powell, Rice or maybe hard charger George Shultz (former marine).
James Baker wasn't bad either.
July 15th, 2008  
Del Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner13
1. George Marshall

2. Henry Kissinger

3. William Seward - you try to buy Alaska and see how much it costs you!

Too soon to tell where Colin Powell and Condi Rice will rank (far above Madelin Albright, I do believe )

Gunner13 - great shooting! You got my candidate first time. The man put forward to me as probably the greatest is indeed William Seward.

Whaddya think folks?
July 15th, 2008  
AikiRooster

Honestly, I had no friggin idea who he was so wiki'd him and found him. He served under Lincoln so I know he was good as Lincoln was one of our best President's.
July 15th, 2008  
Del Boy

I also knew nothing of him, which is precisely why I stuck the proposition up here in front of you guys to garner informed opinion. My interest was caught by a story about him which I will put forward later if it does not figure .
July 16th, 2008  
mmarsh

William Steward or Marshall would be my choice.

I'd give an honorable mention to George Baker too, he was actually more respected than his boss was.
July 16th, 2008  
Damien435

Marshall, Seward, Monroe... that's my top three, probably in that order too, but it's pretty hard to rank them. The Marshall Plan, Alaskan Purchase and Louisiana Purchase, all great investments, sure the Marshall Plan maybe have cost about 100 times as much as the other two combined, but I think it was worth it.