This is getting out of hand. - Page 2

--
This is getting out of hand.

April 8th, 2012  
Yossarian

That's what I am seeing as well, media coverage and attention seems to be a major influence on the over bloating of stastics or misuse of them.

I think a clearler picture of what violent outburst like these should be mandated and provided to the public.

So that all citizens can have an idea of what these times are going through.

However let us not confuse all crime and violent shooting sprees which are on hand here as necessarly the same exact thing.

Crime may be decreasing on the whole, but that does not mean that violent massacre style homicides are as well.
April 8th, 2012  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
Perception. Almost every crime gets the media, this gives the perception that violence is growing while in fact it is decreasing.

Violent crime rates in the United states per 100,000 population beginning in 1960. Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics.
Many States have gone to easier issue of CCW since the early '90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayManKiller3
I was going to suggest that it is because everything has media attached to it now, so it seems to be increasing. I still think crime is too high for acceptance though. I believe Detroit gets one homicide or more a day.
Awhile back statisticly Americans were less likely to be killed in Baghdad than in Washington, D.C.
Gun free school zones give people a green light to attack knowing there's no one armed to defend themselves, except a single cop that some schools have. Seem to recall reading that Palistinians often attacked schools untill Israel passed a Law that all school personell could carry & all adults on field trips must carry, attacks ended @ that point. I guess it's the lack of decent moral upbringing, but youngsters don't seem to care about human life much. Many Cities have a problem with youth violence.
April 8th, 2012  
headwards

I dont think its a lack of discipline so much as a sense of entitlement which breeds a feeling of 'unfairness'
--
April 8th, 2012  
RayManKiller3

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Awhile back statisticly Americans were less likely to be killed in Baghdad than in Washington, D.C.
Gun free school zones give people a green light to attack knowing there's no one armed to defend themselves, except a single cop that some schools have. Seem to recall reading that Palistinians often attacked schools untill Israel passed a Law that all school personell could carry & all adults on field trips must carry, attacks ended @ that point. I guess it's the lack of decent moral upbringing, but youngsters don't seem to care about human life much. Many Cities have a problem with youth violence.
lol, don't compare the Israeli situation to U.S's. They are completely different. While I don't give a crap about gun rights and all (as I will just stay away from violent cities and neighborhoods), I do not really believe more guns in the hands of civilians will reduce crime. If someone is going to kill someone, they will do it regardless of the threat of being caught or killed. Guns make it way easier to kill not just one person, but many others at the same time. You can't successfully go on a public mass killing spree without a firearm.

First reason why your Israeli comparison is off is because they have a common enemy (terrorists) and a higher morale standard than the average American (going by what I witness). Also U.S is way more diverse, so comparing us to homologous countries is also incorrect.
April 8th, 2012  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
I dont think its a lack of discipline so much as a sense of entitlement which breeds a feeling of 'unfairness'

You mean how it's in our very nature to pull the victimisation card?

How we are all victims in this world and how we delegate all accountablility and responsibility somewhere else as soon as poissible these days?.

Scary part is most people seem to do this subconsciously.
April 8th, 2012  
George

Quote:
Lack of proper upbringing, sence of unearned entitlement from being coddled, The "don't hurt their self-esteem" instead of pushing achevment. A recent Medie article lamented that the older folks are richer than youths, well no **** they're just starting out, but it's an example of class envy/warfare that's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayManKiller3
lol, don't compare the Israeli situation to U.S's. They are completely different. While I don't give a crap about gun rights and all (as I will just stay away from violent cities and neighborhoods), I do not really believe more guns in the hands of civilians will reduce crime. If someone is going to kill someone, they will do it regardless of the threat of being caught or killed. Guns make it way easier to kill not just one person, but many others at the same time. You can't successfully go on a public mass killing spree without a firearm.

First reason why your Israeli comparison is off is because they have a common enemy (terrorists) and a higher morale standard than the average American (going by what I witness). Also U.S is way more diverse, so comparing us to homologous countries is also incorrect.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions! The point of the Israeli school thing is...if the school personnel being armed discourages attacks from at least partialy trained, if not fully trained, Terrorists, it should have a simular effect here, vs the shooting fish in a barrel that the current "gun free school zone law" has created.
April 9th, 2012  
headwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
You mean how it's in our very nature to pull the victimisation card?

How we are all victims in this world and how we delegate all accountablility and responsibility somewhere else as soon as poissible these days?.

Scary part is most people seem to do this subconsciously.
Like how at school in sport the kids dont pick teams now because it creates a hierarchy of worth, how scores in tests arent posted with names- rather numbers creating anonyminity. How there arent allowed to be winners and losers.
Then one day the child faces a tough reality that cruising along hasnt got him where he wants to be but society has failed to teach him to take/be able to cope with that and he casts around and blames the group.
April 9th, 2012  
Yossarian

Quote:
Like how at school in sport the kids dont pick teams now because it creates a hierarchy of worth, how scores in tests arent posted with names- rather numbers creating anonyminity. How there arent allowed to be winners and losers.
Then one day the child faces a tough reality that cruising along hasnt got him where he wants to be but society has failed to teach him to take/be able to cope with that and he casts around and blames the group.

These conditions can be defiently a syptom of some of these "loner" instances of the violent sprees.
April 9th, 2012  
headwards

Isnt that what you are talking about? I dont watch a lot of American media but school shootings are all that come to mind with motiveless killings.
April 9th, 2012  
Yossarian

Yes many of these instance seem to lack a clear cut criminal motive as you would expect.

Things like this I believe seperate these shooting from domestic terrorist attacks on the grounds that the killers either want attention drawn to themselves, or simply are ailing from societal pressues that push the to such a point, along with mental issues.