General Military Help

--

August 6th, 2004  
Stafford911

Topic: General Military Help

I wasn't sure where this belongs exactly but this seemed to be the closest thing. I am not in the millitatry but im thinking about it. Right now i am writting a movie about the millitary and i want to make it the most accurate i can. in this thread i will post many questions as i come up with them. If you could provide any help please it would be appreciated.

1. What are the designations for a battle group mean such 101st/82nd Airborne mean.
2. What are the designations for Air Cavalry, Infantry, and Armored Army divisons
3. How many to a platoon
4. What does SOCOM stand for
5. Which branch of the millitary responds first in a declaration of war
6. Is the M16A2 still standard millitary hardware or is there a new Assault Rifle
7. Can a drum clip fit onto an m16 or are banna clips standard
8. What is the standard Marine/Army sniper rifle
9. Can you switch branches once you are enlisted to join a Special Forces group such as S.E.A.L.s or Delta
10. Are the Green Berets still active
11. Are Commandoes considered SF
August 6th, 2004  
Stafford911

Thought of some more.
(*) any branch
*What is the breakdown of Squad, Platoon, Company, etc
*What are the United States and our Allies special forces(ex. Russian Germany, Britan, France)
*What is the standard troop transport helicopter
*what is the standard hunship helicopter
*what is standand attack helicopter
What do Force Recon troops actually do(dumb question but just for authenticity)
*What is in a standard combat pack
August 6th, 2004  
Airborne Eagle

First: The Mods will ask you to merge your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford911
1. What are the designations for a battle group mean such 101st/82nd Airborne mean.
2. What are the designations for Air Cavalry, Infantry, and Armored Army divisons
Not sure what you mean. Designations?
Quote:
3. How many to a platoon
Depends on the type of unit. If you are talking US Army, this may help. Specifically, try this.
Quote:
4. What does SOCOM stand for
Special Operations COMmand
Quote:
5. Which branch of the millitary responds first in a declaration of war
None, in particular. The US military likes to use an Airland Battle Doctrine (unless that's changed).
Quote:
6. Is the M16A2 still standard millitary hardware or is there a new Assault Rifle
7. Can a drum clip fit onto an m16 or are banna clips standard
I'll let an active duty member help here. When I was in, they discouraged the banana clip. The springs would wear out. This meant the bullet wouldn't be properly positioned and the bolt would jam. 20 round clips (with 18, not 20 bullets, per because they said filling it to capacity would also frustrate the spring).
Quote:
9. Can you switch branches once you are enlisted to join a Special Forces group such as S.E.A.L.s or Delta
Yes.
Quote:
10. Are the Green Berets still active
Special Forces are. They wear green berets.
Quote:
11. Are Commandoes considered SF
The US military, to my knowledge, does not have a unit, skill, or whatever called "Commando." That's a hollywood/PX warrior thing.
Quote:
*What is the breakdown of Squad, Platoon, Company, etc
See above.
Quote:
*What are the United States and our Allies special forces(ex. Russian Germany, Britan, France)
I'll let other field this, but you can always Google for the info.
Quote:
*What is the standard troop transport helicopter
CH-47, UH-1 mainly. Depends on the mission/troop size.
Quote:
*what is the standard hunship helicopter
Depends on the mission. UH-1, UH-60.
Quote:
*what is standand attack helicopter
AH-64. Helpful guide. If the nomenclature is "UH" it means Utility Helicopter. "AH" Attack Helicopter. "CH" Cargo Helicopter. There are variations of each frame, making them more suited for transport or gunship.
Quote:
What do Force Recon troops actually do(dumb question but just for authenticity)
Ask a Marine.
Quote:
*What is in a standard combat pack
Depends on your role in the unit, how long you're in the field, what other supplies are available, etc.
--
August 6th, 2004  
Pogue

I'll take up that M16 question:

As of right now, the M16A2 is the standard rifle, for the Army at least, although the XM-8 is due to replace it. This of course, does not include M249 SAWs or M240 B/G (b if you're in the army, G if you're a marine).

The US does not use drums on the M16. The standard magazine (NOT CLIP!) is the 30 round magazine, although most people you meet, including myself, HIGHLY advise against putting 30 rounds into the magazine. It'll kink the spring, and failure to strip is a common problem. I recommend 25.

edit: as for Delta, you don't join the D-boys. They come to you.
August 6th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue
The US does not use drums on the M16. The standard magazine (NOT CLIP!) is the 30 round magazine, although most people you meet, including myself, HIGHLY advise against putting 30 rounds into the magazine. It'll kink the spring, and failure to strip is a common problem. I recommend 25.
you are definately right about that. In Iraq, I had 26 rounds per magazine. Anything over 28 will increase the failure of the spring. Durring a different deployment, we put 30 rounds in 1 mag. After 2 weeks, the spring failed. It is also good to take out all the rounds and lightly oil the spring once a month
August 6th, 2004  
Stafford911

What i meant by designations i mean what does the 101 mean. Does it mean there have been 100 versions previous or that is the universal designation for that particular type of Ranger.
August 6th, 2004  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Eagle
First: The Mods will ask you to merge your posts.
Not always..
But we will if it happens several times...

This thread can help you out with your SOF and SF questions:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...opic.php?t=891

It's important to distinguish between SOF and SF....
August 6th, 2004  
Airborne Eagle

Quote:
What i meant by designations i mean what does the 101 mean. Does it mean there have been 100 versions previous or that is the universal designation for that particular type of Ranger.
There are deactivated divisions. The number when originally used, in my opinion, had no special significance.
August 6th, 2004  
Pogue

Quote:
the 101st is a unit stationed in Fort Campbell, Kentucky. They are what you call Air Assault trooper. The 82nd Airborne Division, as well as the XVIII Airborne Corps, 173rd Airborne division, are paratroopers. Also, they are not Rangers. Some can be Ranger qualified, but Rangers are from the 75th Ranger Regiment. Think of the Army as the MLB. Everyone who plays professionally in the MLB, but then the MLB is broken down into teams. The 101, 82nd, etc, are like "teams". Hope that makes sense.
August 6th, 2004  
Mark Conley

i really hope the movie turns out guy...