Gen. Schwarzkopf example of double standard

muscogeemike

Today a great American Soldier is buried.

Gen. Schwarzkopf deserves all the honors and accolades he receives.

Yet at the time of his greatest achievement, the First Gulf War, the Army was pursuing a double standard, of which the Gen. (along with others on his staff) was a visible example.

While the Gen. was obviously not in accordance with AR 600-9 (the Army Weight standard) other soldiers of lesser rank and position were, technically, denied any recognition (awards, promotions, etc.) due to being in the same conditions a the Gen. and others. No one questioned that they were fit enough to go to war yet some how could not be acknowledged for it.

I was Staff and Faculty at the US Army Sergeants Major Academy (USASMA) at the time (although alerted for deployment as part of a MAG if the conflict had continued). The Academy CSM, a highly regarded and decorated Ranger, was Psychotic. I mean this literally, while a great combat soldier, in my opinion he should have not held any administrative position.

No soldier at the Academy was allowed to receive, publicly, any awards or recognition (and since most at the Academy were students on TDY they were being recognized by their last units) if he/she was not deemed to meet AR 600-9. And the administrator of the program was to be the first CSM to command the new Army Physical Fitness Instructor School. I knew this CSM personally and he was a fine soldier, but his guidance for the program was extreme and, I think, violated the purpose of the Regulation.

Many, many, who had passed PT test, both from their last units (a requirement to attend the Academy) and at the Academy, which tested them again upon arrival, while deemed to meet the height and weight requirements by the last unit, fell into the category of unfit at the Academy.

I personally watched a SGM with a Silver Star, a Bronze Star w/V, and two Purple Hearts, forced to retire with no awards, not even a ceremony! Because he did not meet the Academy’s standard.

I briefed a CSM, on his way to command the 7th Army NCO Academy, on the Basic NCO Course curriculum. When it came to AR 600-9, he asked me if I had ever noticed that the “fat NCO’s” were always sly and smart? I though this was highly ironic since he was a black man.

To question the obvious double standard was to end your career. All of us, NCO’s and Officers, who stood by and just accepted this share the guilt.

Back