great reviews on this one

come out on netflix Jan 27. im signed up
January 16th, 2015  
namvet

Topic: American Sniper

from clint eastwood. based on a trued story of Iraq or afghan

January 17th, 2015  
Sara

Looks like a couple of excellent movies..
--
January 17th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by namvet
Interesting I picked up at least 1 Tiger_1 in the clip which speaks well for the film.
January 17th, 2015  
dadsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by namvet
great reviews on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xli7OTE_0

come out on netflix Jan 27. im signed up
Namvet, I'm clicking and clicking on this...wanna see this. Looks damn good! Sorry to say, it won't come up for me. I'll have to look it up on YouTube.
It'll most likely be for rent from my cable TV co..

Dadsgirl
January 17th, 2015  
namvet

wifes' after me to go see this

January 17th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Looks like a couple of excellent movies..
I haven't looked at the second clip yet but the first one looked ludicrous.

I am not sure where the directors, writers or producers developed the idea that German tanks and troops marched line abreast into battle nor can I understand at what point in WW2 German Tiger tanks decided that the best form of offense was to circle an American tank at a range of about 2 metres point its 88mm at it.

That scene I find the most bizarre given that the Tiger could have destroyed the US tank at 2000 metres and the US one could barely dent the German one at 500 metres.

If I was to be nice I would say it looks like a cross between an action cartoon meets the US war of independence and if I was to be honest I would say it looks like another Hollywood flag-fest that will be little more than an insult to everyone that fought in WW2 except the USA who's troops will come out looking 18 foot tall and capable of eating there way through the sides of German tanks.

I am sorry but I hate movies like that, I believe very strongly that if you genuinely want to honour those who served in these wars tell the truth because for the most part the truth is just as interesting, do not make these idiotic flag-fests which are little more than a bastardisation of history and an insult to the countless people who died during WW2 and my intelligence.

I will rate it along side "Inglorious Bastards and U-571" as movies to forget.
January 17th, 2015  
dadsgirl

I really liked Inglorious Bastards!
Fantasy, yeah, but I happen to enjoy Quentin Tarantino's work.

Dadsgirl
P.s. oh, and getting back at the evildoers, even if fantasy .... me likey.
January 17th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I haven't looked at the second clip yet but the first one looked ludicrous.

I am not sure where the directors, writers or producers developed the idea that German tanks and troops marched line abreast into battle nor can I understand at what point in WW2 German Tiger tanks decided that the best form of offense was to circle an American tank at a range of about 2 metres point its 88mm at it.

That scene I find the most bizarre given that the Tiger could have destroyed the US tank at 2000 metres and the US one could barely dent the German one at 500 metres.

If I was to be nice I would say it looks like a cross between an action cartoon meets the US war of independence and if I was to be honest I would say it looks like another Hollywood flag-fest that will be little more than an insult to everyone that fought in WW2 except the USA who's troops will come out looking 18 foot tall and capable of eating there way through the sides of German tanks.

I am sorry but I hate movies like that, I believe very strongly that if you genuinely want to honour those who served in these wars tell the truth because for the most part the truth is just as interesting, do not make these idiotic flag-fests which are little more than a bastardisation of history and an insult to the countless people who died during WW2 and my intelligence.

I will rate it along side "Inglorious Bastards and U-571" as movies to forget.
I didn't initially watch that clip (watched the main clip). The tank clip does show a Sherman and a Tiger_1 right next to each other about to engage. However it seems to show a group of 5 or 6 Sherman's advancing on a single Tiger_1 with several Sherman's taking hits from a distance before the Sherman in question was able to get right up on the Tiger. That may not have been so unrealistic (without seeing the movie).
Often to take out a Tiger 1 or 2 the Allies (and the Soviets) had to sacrifice (2 to 4) tanks to hopefully get one up close enough and along side the Tiger to destroy it. Maybe not as close as was show in the movie but that's Hollywood.
January 17th, 2015  
MontyB

What it boils down to is that I am tired of having my intelligence insulted by movies who persist on waving flags and portraying everything as 1950s cliches where German officers either shoot dissenters or send them to the Russian front and the really bad ones get shot and then sent to the Russian front, the entire Japanese dialogue for most movies is "Banzai" and "Die American imperialist Yankee dog", the British spend most of the war sounding posh and drinking tea and Aussies did nothing more than sound funny, steal and get into fights.

I am prepared to suspend reality for movies that are clearly fiction but I expect movies that try and recreate historical events to be as close to factual as possible.