Fury - Page 3

--

January 19th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
movies are like novels, the purpose is to entertain. Even if they are claiming to be based on true stories, they are altered to be entertaining.

If we want to know the facts about certain events, there are other sources to use, written by credible scientists.
This was true when people had the ability to think however I no longer believe that to be the case as I think the internet has dumbed down the population to an incredible level.

In fact I would surprised if Google was not the majority of peoples only method of studying a topic and that would rarely get past the first page of the query.
January 19th, 2015  
Sara

I watched "American Sniper" yesterday and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to see a very good movie. It doesn't go overboard and it's not glorifying war in any way. Clint Eastwood did a wonderful job and Bradley Cooper's character .. wow.. this man deserves an Oscar...as does the movie.. I believe he was nominated. I've never seen a more powerful view of war's effect on a man's life. It isn't about every nation's involvement in war. It shows an American who loves his country and the effects of wanting so desperately to defend it and what he gives of himself ..If you want to see something like this, then you should definitely see it.

I can't remember such an emotional and sometimes hard to watch movie on screen, when it ended the theatre was completely silent.
January 19th, 2015  
namvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
I watched "American Sniper" yesterday and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to see a very good movie. It doesn't go overboard and it's not glorifying war in any way. Clint Eastwood did a wonderful job and Bradley Cooper's character .. wow.. this man deserves an Oscar...as does the movie.. I believe he was nominated. I've never seen a more powerful view of war's effect on a man's life. It isn't about every nation's involvement in war. It shows an American who loves his country and the effects of wanting so desperately to defend it and what he gives of himself ..If you want to see something like this, then you should definitely see it.

I can't remember such an emotional and sometimes hard to watch movie on screen, when it ended the theatre was completely silent.
only other movie i saw where the theatre was completely silent was Schindler's list. you could hear a pin drop when we walked out
--
January 21st, 2015  
Yossarian

I think slowly but surely the movie industry is somewhat, yet not by leaps and bounds to begining to show armed conflict as not a win lose sporting event with cut dry winners and heroes, as in decades past.

But to better convey to those who are unknowing of the difficulties troops face in more modern based films, or the realities of life during conflicts past.

Although obviously the entertainment margin will reign supreme, the movie has to persuade people to pay to watch it.

I feel that it's maybe a sound departure from past glory stories. Maybe, and I know I may sound crazy, and this maybe slim at most...

Maybe one such film could plant the seeds in it's viewers to be a little bit more conscience when the President has to say in the state of the union. To think a little more deeply on the prospect of putting our country at war, and maybe will think of the consequences of putting our armed forces into danger needlessly, lest moreover as a last resort.

Sounds like a long shot I know, however I still feel just like our armed forces holds the duty of protecting their country selflessly, a involved citizenry could also due their part as well, show support volunteer, and maybe think about this when at the voting ballet to influence their Congressmen to protect them here at home.

I don't know I am rambling.
January 21st, 2015  
JOC

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie from what I've heard both on and off the forum.
Question do they show any other German AFV's, such as Panther's, Panzer IV, Stugs, etc. to name a few of the more common AFV's still used by Germany in the later portion of the war? These AFV were produced in much larger quantities than were Tiger_1's.
January 21st, 2015  
namvet

Behind the Scenes, a Tank Expert Kept ‘Fury’ Authentic

Former British Army soldier David Rae got to play a German commander, too

story
January 21st, 2015  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie from what I've heard both on and off the forum.
Question do they show any other German AFV's, such as Panther's, Panzer IV, Stugs, etc. to name a few of the more common AFV's still used by Germany in the later portion of the war? These AFV were produced in much larger quantities than were Tiger_1's.

The movie takes place late in the war. You will mostly see AT guns, panzerfaust armed infantry, (conscripted kids, old men, and fanatical SS) and burnt out tanks, both German and American.

Although the final scene is pretty "Hollywood", the rest of the movie is pretty effective of displaying the war in all its gritty details. I thought the the movie did an exceptional job of showing the how soldiers interact with one another. I also think they did a very good job of how seasoned vets treat replacements too. It is visceral and doesn't pull any punches when showing the not only the brutality of combat, but the also the grey area that encompasses every battlefield.
January 21st, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:

Odd the Washington post described it as "mediocre".

Quote:
American Sniper might not have been nominated for a raft of Academy Awards or cleaned up at the box office on its first weekend had the film been more liberal or more conservative. But a willingness to engage with Chris Kyle as he was almost certainly would have made American Sniper a much better movie

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=11390240
January 22nd, 2015  
Sara

They should've asked me.. I would've told them the truth.
January 22nd, 2015  
brinktk

Quote:

I like Clint Eastwood, but I don't like Chris Kyle. I have a feeling that the real Kyle doesn't come through in the movie...otherwise I'm not sure it would have done so well at the Box office.

I'll have to see for myself this weekend.