Ft. Campbell live fire rules eased

Duty Honor Country

A year ago, if you wanted to go shoot your M-4, you had to follow strict rules for being at a range. Soldiers had to pick up ammo from the ammo point, get rodded on the range, walk with your weapon pointed down range, place your weapon on the ground, and wait to for orders to pick up, load and shoot your rifle.

Now things have changed. Instead of following the range nazi, things are basically left up to the platoon or company leadership. While we were training for the shoot house, we did reflex fires. Reflex fires are conducted while standing, walking side to side or walking forward. When you are told to shoot, you go from the ready to the firing position and engage the target. While we were doing this, I was reminded of how the Germans practiced in WWII. They drew buttloads of ammo and hit the range. For now, that is what Ft. Campbell is up to.

Ft Campbell Range Rules

Yes, I noticed as I was showing my sons around the post earlier in the week. The almost constant sound of weapons being fired on the ranges as we drove past was a welcome change.

Stay Safe 101st!

Doody said:
A year ago, if you wanted to go shoot your M-4, you had to follow strict rules for being at a range. Soldiers had to pick up ammo from the ammo point, get rodded on the range, walk with your weapon pointed down range, place your weapon on the ground, and wait to for orders to pick up, load and shoot your rifle.

Now things have changed. Instead of following the range nazi, things are basically left up to the platoon or company leadership. While we were training for the shoot house, we did reflex fires. Reflex fires are conducted while standing, walking side to side or walking forward. When you are told to shoot, you go from the ready to the firing position and engage the target. While we were doing this, I was reminded of how the Germans practiced in WWII. They drew buttloads of ammo and hit the range. For now, that is what Ft. Campbell is up to.

Have there been any safety issues?

Strongbow said:
Doody said:

If you understood your weapons training and lectures there should be no safty issues.

My old XO in 96 and 01 signed out Scania truckloads of 7.62 ball and tracers, fire at will in 15 minutes intervals at the range - no rate of fire limitations. We were supervised by the officers alright but we learned the safty regulations by heart and nature and never experienced any accidents.

MI Blues said:
Yes, I noticed as I was showing my sons around the post earlier in the week. The almost constant sound of weapons being fired on the ranges as we drove past was a welcome change.

Stay Safe 101st!

I am not deploying to Iraq, but my wife is. Thanks for the words of encouragement MI Blues.

Strongbow said:

A soldier died a few weeks ago doing convoy live fires. Convoy live fires are more strict then ranges since you are involved with getting on and off trucks while you have rounds chambered. A number of things can go wrong on that scenario.

I remember the commanding general talking about live fires. I guess the chief complaint was that the procedures used on a range are nothing like those in combat. The Army like to use the train as you fight idealogy in training for war. I see a lot of benefit from those changes as long as there are responsible people on the ground to keep things safe.

At Fort Bragg, instead of being held across your chest up and down range, we carry them at the ready.

Back