French foreign legion, medical problem - Page 2

--

February 12th, 2015  
Kesse81

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix
Oky thank you. I am white but doubt that I look European. Would the racism still be there?
What I hear from ex-legionnaires is that officially Racism is prohibited but that many NCO´s tolerate it because they see it as part of the psychological training. Western Europeans look down on the East Europeans which in turn look down on Arabs and Africans.
If you are Afrikaans speaking you will surely; according to a legionary be seen as inferior by Western Europeans and the East Europeans will treat you as a Pseudo-African.

One thing you should take into consideration is that you can´t choose which job you end up with. They have the exclusive right to decide what they think you can do. So if you think you are entering to be paratrooper, you might end up with a surprise. Perhaps they want you in the infantry or as a medical orderly, a cook or in supplies. And you have signed up for five years, and all you are going to do is to cook or move around boxes in a warehouse for five years. How fun is that when you thought you were going to conquer the world?

Consider it carefully before taking the decision my friend.
Maybe it´s not worth it anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
During the early 50's my father came into contact with the Legion while stationed in north Africa. At that time the Legion was made up of largely ex Nazi's. They were brutal to say the least and had no hesitation of opening fire on a crowd to get a an Arab resistor. Not sure if this is on topic but those legionaries were racist.
I´m not surprised.
Once read a Danish legionary´s memories from the war in Indochina.
He told that there were former enemies together in a company. Men who had fought on opposite sides in WWII and now fought together. German and English legionnaires talked about World War II as if it had just been a football game.
February 12th, 2015  
I3BrigPvSk

The French Foreign Legion provides France with the opportunity to deploy military forces abroad without jeopardizing young French lives. The French government has never trusted the FFL due to the failed assassination attempt toward President De Gualle. Governments never forget and never forgive.

Today the FFL can be a headache for the French when they occasionally are rather rough toward civilians. Although, they are useful for Paris in the implementation of French foreign policy.
February 12th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
The French Foreign Legion provides France with the opportunity to deploy military forces abroad without jeopardizing young French lives. The French government has never trusted the FFL due to the failed assassination attempt toward President De Gualle. Governments never forget and never forgive.

Today the FFL can be a headache for the French when they occasionally are rather rough toward civilians. Although, they are useful for Paris in the implementation of French foreign policy.
They were expendable and ruthless was how my dad described them from the 1950's.
--