French Foreign Legion, anyone?




 
--
 
September 6th, 2014  
Hallvard
 
 

Topic: French Foreign Legion, anyone?


Hey all,
I'm a 17 old guy turning 18 next year. I've always wanted to become a soldier, but my country of residence doesn't appeal to me at all, and I'm planning to severe all connections I have with it ASAP.
So, I've been reading about FFL. I talked to people with previous experiences, I learned as much as I can, but there's still questions in my mind.
I'm not physically fit to join the Legion right now, but I have a whole year I'll be spending getting fit and disciplined, adapting the military life (having a daily routine, being punctual etc.) and so on.
Both physically and mentally, I'm sure the training will challenge me to the point of breaking down, but I'm ready for it. I need to toughen up, and I don't see any other way it happening.
My main reasons for joining are getting that military training, having the mindset and discipline, and of course a fresh start.
I don't want to get all personal, so all I'm going to say is that I want to get away from my current life as far as possible. No, I'm not wanted, and I don't have any criminal records.

Any advice or information is welcome.
I need as many as I can.

Thanks in advance.
September 6th, 2014  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallvard
Hey all,
I'm a 17 old guy turning 18 next year. I've always wanted to become a soldier, but my country of residence doesn't appeal to me at all, and I'm planning to severe all connections I have with it ASAP.
So, I've been reading about FFL. I talked to people with previous experiences, I learned as much as I can, but there's still questions in my mind.
I'm not physically fit to join the Legion right now, but I have a whole year I'll be spending getting fit and disciplined, adapting the military life (having a daily routine, being punctual etc.) and so on.
Both physically and mentally, I'm sure the training will challenge me to the point of breaking down, but I'm ready for it. I need to toughen up, and I don't see any other way it happening.
My main reasons for joining are getting that military training, having the mindset and discipline, and of course a fresh start.
I don't want to get all personal, so all I'm going to say is that I want to get away from my current life as far as possible. No, I'm not wanted, and I don't have any criminal records.

Any advice or information is welcome.
I need as many as I can.

Thanks in advance.
Do you speak French? It might be a good idea to learn French if you don't speak it yet
September 6th, 2014  
Kesse81
 
Sorry to be the one stepping on your sand castle

Here's what I know from second hand on the FFL

If you are under 23, chances are about 100% sure they donít want you because you have no
life experience. Today there are so many with military background and combat experience that the FFl almost exclusively are recruiting them. Also, the French military is in the process of saving money on the military budget and that also affects the FFL.

Unfortunately I think your chances are not very good.
--
September 7th, 2014  
Hallvard
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Do you speak French? It might be a good idea to learn French if you don't speak it yet
I don't, and I'll try to learn some too. Wouldn't be too wise to depend on the education they give there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesse81
Sorry to be the one stepping on your sand castle

Here's what I know from second hand on the FFL

If you are under 23, chances are about 100% sure they donít want you because you have no
life experience. Today there are so many with military background and combat experience that the FFl almost exclusively are recruiting them. Also, the French military is in the process of saving money on the military budget and that also affects the FFL.

Unfortunately I think your chances are not very good.
Well that's troubling news, although all I've heard so far say quite the opposite. I know how to shoot, and by the time I enlist I'll probably be capable of doing their physical tests twice, and I am of good background. I don't see why they wouldn't accept me.
Besides, wouldn't it be wiser to accept younger recruits? I mean, they'd be much easier to train than someone of military background. I've heard FFL is very different from the standard military.
September 7th, 2014  
Bimcnorth
 
 
There are things that count in your favour if you try to enlist, like former military service for instance.
Physical fitness is nice but not an absolute need if you got say technical skills in some areas.
A guy I knew basically just drove a jeep with a radio guy during his stay in L.E

But why not just ask the recruitment office?
September 7th, 2014  
Kesse81
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallvard
I don't, and I'll try to learn some too. Wouldn't be too wise to depend on the education they give there.



Well that's troubling news, although all I've heard so far say quite the opposite. I know how to shoot, and by the time I enlist I'll probably be capable of doing their physical tests twice, and I am of good background. I don't see why they wouldn't accept me.
Besides, wouldn't it be wiser to accept younger recruits? I mean, they'd be much easier to train than someone of military background. I've heard FFL is very different from the standard military.
I can only answer you from what I've been told by a friend that was rejected by the FFL about 6 months ago. This guy had no work experience but had completed compulsory military service in Denmark. He was 21 at the time and was told that life experience counts - without it, no chance.

There are many myths about FFL. The truth is that they are a regiment in the French Army and their training is not so very different from other elite units in the French Army.
September 7th, 2014  
Hallvard
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimcnorth
There are things that count in your favour if you try to enlist, like former military service for instance.
Physical fitness is nice but not an absolute need if you got say technical skills in some areas.
A guy I knew basically just drove a jeep with a radio guy during his stay in L.E

But why not just ask the recruitment office?
Due to my age I have no former military service, so I wouldn't know even if I had any skills I could use in army. I'd like to learn as much as I can before I enlist, hence why I'm still asking around.
I think my age can be used for good, though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesse81
I can only answer you from what I've been told by a friend that was rejected by the FFL about 6 months ago. This guy had no work experience but had completed compulsory military service in Denmark. He was 21 at the time and was told that life experience counts - without it, no chance.

There are many myths about FFL. The truth is that they are a regiment in the French Army and their training is not so very different from other elite units in the French Army.
That's interesting, because I've also read somewhere that they prefer "new blood" because their training is apparently different than the average army, making the adaptation of former foreign soldiers really hard.
Of course, there are indeed many myths about FFL. I wish I could get in contact with someone who has served there.
September 7th, 2014  
brinktk
 
 
Camelman is a member of this forum who has served in the legion for some time. He hasn't been active in a while but if you send him a pm he might answer. I would urge you to read all his posts before sending the pm though...
 


Similar Topics
French Foreign Legion regiment assignation
FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION RECRUITMENT - QUERIES
Why would someone join the French Foreign Legion?
French Foreign Legion and Misdemeanor Charges