U of B and B Alumnus
Ex-Rep. Ney gets 30-months in jail, $6000 fine

Violation of public trust leads to harsher than recommended sentence

BREAKING NEWS
By Joel Seidman
Producer
NBC News
Updated: 3 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Former Ohio Republican Representative Bob Ney, the only member of Congress to be criminally charged in the Jack Abramoff-lobbying scandal, was sentenced today to 30 months in prison and fined $6,000 by U.S. District Judge Ellen S. Huvelle.
The Justice Department had asked for a term of 27 months in prison. The sentence was harsher than recommended by prosecutors or Ney's lawyers, Huvelle said, because Ney had violated the trust place on him as a public official. "Both your constituents and the public trusted you to represent them honestly," she said.
Ney apologized in the courtroom to his family, friends and constituents and said, "I will continue to take full responsibility, accept the consequences and battle the demons of addiction that are within me." He said, "I hope and pray that with time and love, our family can recover from the damage I have done."

Another powerful Member of Congress down, so many more to go.
This is really starting to get good, I for one hope there are dozens more to follow.

Had I been in charge, I would have charged him with Treason, as we are a Nation at War, and US Tax Dollars pay Government Contractors for Military Equipment, I would have tasked the bean counters to come up with a report that a Bullet needed in Battle could not or did not get bought because of Ney's actions, and I would have had Nay put to death.

Sure, bad for Ney, but it would casue people who are Elected to Office to think twice before breaking the Law.

Last edited:
Back