Fiji claims NZ spying on govt

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Hehe just to prove that the Mugabe's of this world are not confined to Africa we have our own version of the nutjob in the Pacific.

Fiji is a nation that really brings a meaning to the term "Banana Republic" and if left to its own devices it will be a match for Zimbabwe within a couple of years.

By MICHAEL FIELD - Fairfax Media | Tuesday, 23 December 2008
Fiji claims NZ spying on govt

Fiji's military regime has used warlike-talk to condemn New Zealand and Australia in a continuing stand-off over sanctions on the South Pacific coup prone nation.
Military appointed Attorney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum is claiming today that the New Zealand High Commission in Suva has used their Fiji staff to spy on Fiji nationals.
A spokesman for Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully today refused to comment on the allegations.
"These local staff should be ashamed of themselves for betraying and spying on their fellow country men and women," Sayed-Khaiyum said in a lengthy statement released today.
He claims – without citing evidence – that Canberra and Wellington are tapping Fiji's phones.
Bizarrely he also claims New Zealand and Australia are now insulting Fiji's World War Two soldiers.
The statement follows a Fiji back-down over a threat to expel acting New Zealand High Commissioner Caroline McDonald, 18 months after the expulsion of High Commissioner Michael Green.
The McDonald threat came after family members of key officials in the regime were denied student visas to study in New Zealand.
Australia and New Zealand imposed sanctions on Fiji after military chief Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama overthrew a democratic government in December 2006. He has since backed off promised elections.
Sayed-Khaiyum's back down came a day after Bainimarama left Fiji to spend Christmas with Fiji soldiers in the Middle East.
Sayed-Khaiyum said New Zealand was abusing diplomacy by "actively engaging with those who are opposed to the government.
"They have been engaged in local politics, they are engaged in creating disquiet within the population. This is why Michael Green was sent back."
Local high commission staff were spying.
"This lack of diplomacy would not be tolerated in any other country," Sayed-Khaiyum said.
He accused New Zealand of neo-colonialism.
"They do not treat us with dignity and respect."
On Remembrance Day, November 11, heads of diplomatic missions turned up for wreath laying but Australia, Britain and New Zealand sent junior staff.
"They have not even spared the dead in their political posturing. It is an insult to the brave men and women who died not only serving Fiji but the allies which included Australia and New Zealand."
He said Bainimarama had met the Australian Foreign Minister Steven Smith and it was put to him that Canberra was tapping phones in Fiji.
"He did not deny it. Ladies and gentlemen the tapping of phones in Fiji is illegal."
Sayed-Khaiyum said Wellington claims the current military regime is illegal.
"This is factually incorrect."
He said a recent Fiji High Court ruling had declared the Bainimarama regime was legal.
He did not say, however, that New Zealand and Australia do not currently accept that the Fiji High Court itself is legal as the military removed its chief justice in the wake of the 2006 coup.
Sayed-Khaiym said Wellington was being inconsistent over its demand for democracy in Fiji.
"They actively engage with China, with Tonga, with Thailand and with numerous other countries which have different rules for governance, representation, or have had governments removed," he said.
"One is then left with the only conclusion that the Governments of Australia and New Zealand are simply bullying the Pacific, believe they can engage with Fiji and the Pacific in whichever form they want and we in the Pacific are expected to just sit back like children and accept it."
Australia and New Zealand were the richest and most powerful in this part of the Pacific and "they believe that their way is the only way even if they have been inconsistent, even if what we want is right and good on a universal basis and for us".
Fiji would not be bullied and wanted instead to engage with Australia and New Zealand on equal and fair terms.
He said Bainimarama would announce a special team to "engender better relations with New Zealand.
"We must as a nation and indeed as people of the Pacific stand up to such bullying tactics, we must be proud of our country and not be intimidated."

Last edited:
These guys crack me up. Unfortunately there are quite a few people like that over here. They're usually Communists. "We must stand up against the oppressive aggressor America! We must be proud of our glorious history!" Both points are lies but it seems to attract a lot of people.

These guys crack me up. Unfortunately there are quite a few people like that over here. They're usually Communists. "We must stand up against the oppressive aggressor America! We must be proud of our glorious history!" Both points are lies but it seems to attract a lot of people.

Yeah his whole approach is very Mugabe-esque, first you find yourself someone that doesnt give enough of a rats arse about you to take the time to shut you up and then you spend you days blaming them for all the problems you are having while your country falls appart around you.

I have always seen Fiji as a bit of a banana republic given they that they have about 20 coups in the last 20 years but up until recently they have all been fairly benign, more comic relief than enything else but all of the Fijians I work with rate this current guy as extremely dangerous so it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

I am not sure there is anything to spy on in Fiji given that you could fly over it in hang glider and it still isnt big enough to use up a whole role of film.

"The Great Coconut Conspiracy".

Hey back off you Aussies are in on this as well.

PS. We have almost completed the invasion surfboards I hope you have the armoured beach cricket sets ready by D-Day.

Last edited:
Hey back off you Aussies are in on this as well.

PS. We have almost completed the invasion surfboards I hope you have the armoured beach cricket sets ready by D-Day.
Damn it Monty, isn't anything a secret any more, you realise of course that Bananarama prolly reads this thread, don't you.

Ahhh well,... I guess that they aren't too upset, they haven't started refusing our money yet.

There's not too many other countries that are so destitute they value Aussie Dollars :-D

I think this Fiji is fit for regime change.
Then we'll turn it into an Ibiza in the middle of the Pacific and earn lots and lots of cash on tourism.
The War for Discos and Cheap Motels has begun.

Damn it Monty, isn't anything a secret any more, you realise of course that Bananarama prolly reads this thread, don't you.

Ahhh well,... I guess that they aren't too upset, they haven't started refusing our money yet.

There's not too many other countries that are so destitute they value Aussie Dollars :-D

Yes well that is one of the things that cracks me up as well, they do all this posturing, rattling of sabres and pointing the finger at how they wont be dictated to meanwhile close to 80% of their economy is generated from the two countries they are targeting.

I think this Fiji is fit for regime change.
Then we'll turn it into an Ibiza in the middle of the Pacific and earn lots and lots of cash on tourism.
The War for Discos and Cheap Motels has begun.

Hey the plan isn't called "Operation Vacation Freedom" for nothing.

Back