A few gaffs by Prince Phillip - Page 2

--
A few gaffs by Prince Phillip

May 22nd, 2012  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Actually he is the only royal I do like outside Andrew primarily because he says what he thinks---snip---
I gained my admiration for Princess Anne the day she was at the Royal Horse show at Windsor, where although she was surrounded by several young staff who were presumably looking after the kids. She told them to stop running about, and when the eldest didn't, she never admonished the staff, but got out of her chair and without further ado caught caught him, and gave him a good hard open handed slap across the back of the legs and after wagging her finger whilst saying something we couldn't hear, she sat back down.

The kids settled down and watched the show after that.

How I wish we had recorded it. I reckon she'd make a bloody good King
May 22nd, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
I gained my admiration for Princess Anne the day she was at the Royal Horse show at Windsor, where although she was surrounded by several young staff who were presumably looking after the kids. She told them to stop running about, and when the eldest didn't, she never admonished the staff, but got out of her chair and without further ado caught caught him, and gave him a good hard open handed slap across the back of the legs and after wagging her finger whilst saying something we couldn't hear, she sat back down.

The kids settled down and watched the show after that.

How I wish we had recorded it. I reckon she'd make a bloody good King
Prince Phillip said of Princess Anne, "If it doesn't eat hay and farts, she's not interested."

A few more gaffs:-

To his wife, the Queen, after her coronation
“Where did you get the hat?”

When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union
“The bastards murdered half my family”

After the Dunblane shooting
“If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?”

To a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea
“You managed not to get eaten, then?”

To Elton John after hearing Elton had sold his Gold Aston Martin
“Oh, it’s you that owns that ghastly car – we often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.”

On key problems facing Brazil
“Brazilians live there”

After accepting a conservation award in Thailand in 1991:
“Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species.”

At a project to protect turtle doves in Anguilla in 1965, he said:
“Cats kill far more birds than men. Why don’t you have a slogan: ‘Kill a cat and save a bird?’”

On the Duke of York’s house, 1986:
“It looks like a tart’s bedroom.”

At party in 2004:
“Bugger the table plan, give me my dinner!”

On Tom Jones, 1969:
“It’s difficult to see how it’s possible to become immensely valuable by singing what are the most hideous songs.”

To Cayman Islanders:
“Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?”

At a WF meeting in 1986:
“If it has four legs and it’s not a chair, if it’s got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane and if it swims and it’s not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.”

When offered wine in Rome in 2000, he snapped:
“I don’t care what kind it is, just get me a beer!”

At a Bangladeshi youth club in 2002:
“So who’s on drugs here?... HE looks as if he’s on drugs.”

To black politician Lord Taylor of Warwick, 1999:
“And what exotic part of the world do you come from?”
May 22nd, 2012  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Prince Phillip said of Princess Anne, "If it doesn't eat hay and farts, she's not interested."
Yep,... that sounds great, most Kings are highly over rated anyway.
--
May 22nd, 2012  
viper2007

Quote:
I don't think Charlie boy will become king, I think William will take HRH's place. Charlie blotted his copy book with the British people over his treatment of Diana and the royal family attitude which what was seen as total disregard over her death.

Just my opinion.
I actually would like to agree very much with you, Opa Brit...

Can never picture Charlie as King... oh no... if that happens, you will have the Rotweiller as Queen- yucks!
May 22nd, 2012  
Trooper1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Actually he is the only royal I do like outside Andrew primarily because he says what he thinks but once QE 2 keels over I am hoping New Zealand will become a Republic and kick the Monarchy for touch as I do not want to have Chuck III in charge.
I agree about Prince Andrew.
He showed his worth during the Falklands conflict, flying close in to rescue people after the Sir Gallahad was hit.
A lot of people especially the press forget that when they're giving him a hard time.
May 23rd, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2007
I actually would like to agree very much with you, Opa Brit...

Can never picture Charlie as King... oh no... if that happens, you will have the Rotweiller as Queen- yucks!
My German Shepherd Molly is prettier then his missus, and I'm not kidding. I did read somewhere that if Charles did become King, she wouldn't be granted the title of Queen. Possibly "Keeper of the Royal kennels," she'd be right at home there.
May 23rd, 2012  
MontyB

Replace keeper with occupant and I would agree.
May 23rd, 2012  
42RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
I agree about Prince Andrew.
He showed his worth during the Falklands conflict, flying close in to rescue people after the Sir Gallahad was hit.
A lot of people especially the press forget that when they're giving him a hard time.
He is a great guy. Have met him a few times.

Prince Edward....!
Well. "Proof that you can turn a frog into a Prince, but you can't turn a Prince into a Royal Marine"
May 23rd, 2012  
viper2007

Quote:
My German Shepherd Molly is prettier then his missus, and I'm not kidding. I did read somewhere that if Charles did become King, she wouldn't be granted the title of Queen. Possibly "Keeper of the Royal kennels," she'd be right at home there.
I wanted to suggest that the title of "Keeper" be changed to "Occupant", but I see that Monty has beaten me to it.

The only reason that I can think of that Charlie wanted to have Carmilla is probably he was not allowed to keep a British Bulldog as a pet!...
May 23rd, 2012  
viper2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
He is a great guy. Have met him a few times.

Prince Edward....!
Well. "Proof that you can turn a frog into a Prince, but you can't turn a Prince into a Royal Marine"
RM42, you know something we don't...? You mind sharing...