Females in Combat Units

--

May 11th, 2016  
Remington 1858

Topic: Females in Combat Units

Alrighty then; this should start a lively discussion.
How do you feel about women in combat units? Obviously this is going to be opinion only unless you have some scientific data to support an argument. When I was in military service, women were barred from combat units, so I had no contact under those circumstances.
When I first entered law enforcement, same thing. Women didn't go hands - on with criminals. When women were first admitted the old timers said " they will ruin everything", I thought they were just a bunch of dinosaurs. Experience proved them at least partially right. Women didn't ruin everything, but they ruined enough that I was glad to get out of the job.
Females can do some jobs superbly in law enforcement, just not some of the ones you need done. With very few exceptions, they don't want to get in somebody's face or go hands-on. They made good investigators and moderately good administrators. They are great at pushing paper and everything they run is neat and tidy. They just don't want to go kick some scumbags ass! And that really, really needs to be done sometimes. There are exceptions, but that's what they are, rare exceptions
I think ( here we go, opinion) that they lack the aggressiveness and risk taking attitude it takes to win. They are risk adverse. That doesn't mean they are cowardly. It means they are afraid to make a mistake and afraid to lose. That is practically a guarantee of losing.
And all of this is over and above the sexual politics, which is a major problem in and of itself.
So, lets hear what you have to say. No flaming please, just some moderately polite, intelligent commentary. Citing actual experience would be helpful.
May 12th, 2016  
MontyB

I suspect you have never met the average Kiwi woman, they are for the most part bigger and angrier than the Kiwi male, I suspect if we dropped about 10 of them on Syria ISIS would be converting to Judaism in a week.

I don't have any issues with women entering combat units (but it is easy to have that opinion when you arent in one) but like yourself my experience of them in certain workplaces is not positive and combat may be one however I am not qualified to make that call.
May 12th, 2016  
I3BrigPvSk

I don't have any experience of having women in the military. We didn't have any when I was in the service (army, infantry) There were women in the Swedish military at that time, but they were in the navy or in the air force. There are women in all branches now and I don't have anything negative to say about that. What I disagree with is, if the requirements for a specific duty are lowered to get women into these positions. The requirements are there for a reason. Although, if a woman fulfills these requirements, I don't mind it. I don't like the concept of having lesser qualified police officers, fire fighters, military personnel, para-rescue, and others. The people qualifying to fill the positions shall have an equal chance regardless gender, but not lowering the requirements.
--
May 13th, 2016  
Remington 1858

The United States Marine Corp is doing all that is possible to keep this from happening. They have submitted all sorts of studies and test results to show that gender integration will degrade performance, but if the Marines think they can stop this, they are dreaming.
In the Politically Correct States of America it is already a done deal. And when President Hillary Clinton takes over, there will be gender neutral restrooms. or latrines or as the Marines call then " heads" anywhere there are Marines.
What would John Wayne say?
The Duke must be spinning in his grave.
May 13th, 2016  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I don't have any experience of having women in the military. We didn't have any when I was in the service (army, infantry) There were women in the Swedish military at that time, but they were in the navy or in the air force. There are women in all branches now and I don't have anything negative to say about that. What I disagree with is, if the requirements for a specific duty are lowered to get women into these positions. The requirements are there for a reason. Although, if a woman fulfills these requirements, I don't mind it. I don't like the concept of having lesser qualified police officers, fire fighters, military personnel, para-rescue, and others. The people qualifying to fill the positions shall have an equal chance regardless gender, but not lowering the requirements.
This I agree with, if there was a unversal standard that everyone was required to meet (and I know there is) both pysically and mentally then what does gender matter.
The hard part is structuring it so that it isn't lowered for special interest groups in order to meet some politically expedient quota.

I think it worth noting at this stage that women have been in combat units throughout history and it is only the more prudish Christian ideals of the last 1000 years that has removed them from Western forces so lets not assume that women are not capable of operating within that environment.
May 13th, 2016  
I3BrigPvSk

When the topic of having women in the military emerged. We discussed the risk for them if they became POWs. It can be rough for males being POWs, but it might be even worse for women.

This discussion is about the ground forces, but if we expand the topic to include the navy and the air force. They are fighting too, I guess. There are many duties in the military when the gender doesn't matter much. The crew of a love boat....I mean a submarine or any other naval vessel. Many of the duties there are watching a screen and females and males can do that.
May 14th, 2016  
Sara

QUOTE=Remington 1858;703402]Alrighty then; this should start a lively discussion.
How do you feel about women in combat units? Obviously this is going to be opinion only unless you have some scientific data to support an argument. When I was in military service, women were barred from combat units, so I had no contact under those circumstances.
When I first entered law enforcement, same thing. Women didn't go hands - on with criminals. When women were first admitted the old timers said " they will ruin everything", I thought they were just a bunch of dinosaurs. Experience proved them at least partially right. Women didn't ruin everything, but they ruined enough that I was glad to get out of the job.
Females can do some jobs superbly in law enforcement, just not some of the ones you need done. With very few exceptions, they don't want to get in somebody's face or go hands-on. They made good investigators and moderately good administrators. They are great at pushing paper everything they run is neat and tidy. They just don't want to go kick some scumbags ass! And that really, really needs to be done sometimes. There are exceptions, but that's what they are, rare exceptions
I think ( here we go, opinion) that they lack the aggressiveness and risk taking attitude it takes to win. They are risk adverse. That doesn't mean they are cowardly. It means they are afraid to make a mistake and afraid to lose. That is practically a guarantee of losing.
And all of this is over and above the sexual politics, which is a major problem in and of itself.
So, lets hear what you have to say. No flaming please, just some moderately polite, intelligent commentary. Citing actual experience would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

I'd LOVE to kick some scumbag's ass.

IMO.. a woman who joins the military is taking an aggressive step and is showing up front that she isn't afraid. If she IS afraid then she's courageous enough to get past that. To me.. that's a winner.

And if you think all women are neat and tidy.. you should see my desk.
May 20th, 2016  
Capt Frogman

We don't put females in ground combat roles in the UK, but that's changing from next year.

My view is that if they can pass the exact same selection tests as men, then they should be free to serve in frontline infantry combat roles. However, I do believe that they will struggle to pass the physical requirements simply due to physical differences in the female body.

I've had female medics, translators, military intelligence etc join my troop out on patrol and they got stuck in just like everyone else. We were however more protective of them during any contacts, but that's simply human nature. Males will always be protective of females and that could be an issue on the frontline.

I'm all for it, but I don't see it working. The female body is complex, and issues such as being able to urinate when you're on a 4 day patrol, will a woman want to squat and urinate in front of 12 males? It would be a degrading experience for both sexes. Then there's the female menstrual cycle. Can they deal with periods when out in the middle of know where, living out of a hole in the sand for several days. Then there's the issue of sex, which will happen given the environment you're working in.
May 20th, 2016  
Remington 1858

It's entirely a social issue, it makes no sense for a military standpoint. Females have generally been excluded from combat from the beginning of history and this is proof that they are not needed. If a tribe or nation is struggling at the survival level, that's one thing; then you arm children!
There is no shortage of volunteers males in the U.S. forces. In fact at this point they can pick and choose. The is the politicians giving in to the feminists!
What next? Gays, transexuals --Oh wait!
May 20th, 2016  
-- Dusty

Well, women feel they are supposed to have equal "everything", I suppose that might as well include the same horrors and nightmares. I wonder if they can handle PTSD the same way.