Females in Combat Units - Page 2

--

May 21st, 2016  
BritinAfrica

The Soviets used women tank crews, fighter pilots as well as snipers among other tasks. Apparently they were very good.

On the units I have been on, women have caused major problems among the men.
May 21st, 2016  
Remington 1858

The Soviets were fighting for their national survival and for the survival of the Communist system. From that standpoint, there are no measures too extreme. You draft kids as young as fourteen. You drive refugees over minefields. You use criminals in penal battalions as assault troops.
The Soviets did all that.
The use of women in combat units when there is no shortage of males is social engineering, not military necessity.
May 21st, 2016  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 1858
The Soviets were fighting for their national survival and for the survival of the Communist system. From that standpoint, there are no measures too extreme. You draft kids as young as fourteen. You drive refugees over minefields. You use criminals in penal battalions as assault troops.
The Soviets did all that.
The use of women in combat units when there is no shortage of males is social engineering, not military necessity.
The point is, the Soviets used women in combat units successfully whether or not its social engineering or military necessity. Its putting boots, male or female where they are required.

Israels IDF use females if I remember correctly as tank crews.
--
May 21st, 2016  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 1858
It's entirely a social issue, it makes no sense for a military standpoint. Females have generally been excluded from combat from the beginning of history and this is proof that they are not needed. If a tribe or nation is struggling at the survival level, that's one thing; then you arm children!
There is no shortage of volunteers males in the U.S. forces. In fact at this point they can pick and choose. The is the politicians giving in to the feminists!
What next? Gays, transexuals --Oh wait!

Women should be spared the horrors and tragedies of direct combat as long as we have enough men to serve. In support roles they should receive every accolade they deserve.
May 21st, 2016  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
The point is, the Soviets used women in combat units successfully whether or not its social engineering or military necessity. Its putting boots, male or female where they are required.

Israels IDF use females if I remember correctly as tank crews.

Both the Israeli's and the former Red Army used women in combat roles. All that was said about the Soviets was true and more. They were fighting for a war of racial extinction. The alternative was slavery and death, Hitler had no future plans for a S.U. with Slav's. Much the same with Israeli "at least early on". The Arabs would have driven them into the sea. They needed every resource they could muster.
You are right Brit the IRDF did and does use women in tank crews.
May 21st, 2016  
I3BrigPvSk

I have quite recently read about SOE operations and there were several women serving in the SOE during the war and successfully so. Hence, women can play a vital role during armed conflicts, even if the SOE operatives weren't military per se. They did a pretty good job and it was dangerous too.
May 21st, 2016  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
The Soviets used women tank crews, fighter pilots as well as snipers among other tasks. Apparently they were very good.

On the units I have been on, women have caused major problems among the men.
The RAF currently has a number of female fighter pilots that are operationally deployed.
May 22nd, 2016  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I have quite recently read about SOE operations and there were several women serving in the SOE during the war and successfully so. Hence, women can play a vital role during armed conflicts, even if the SOE operatives weren't military per se. They did a pretty good job and it was dangerous too.
Quite Right and sadly many paid with their lives.

Here is a list of women who served in the SOE:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_SOE_agents

As an aside, when I left school I worked for the GPO, my office was at Electra House in London which apparently was an SOE establishment. Electra House was 6 floor high with a number of floors underground. It was a massive building.
May 22nd, 2016  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Frogman
The RAF currently has a number of female fighter pilots that are operationally deployed.
I know, I've seen them on TV'.
May 22nd, 2016  
Remington 1858

Guys, spies, radio operators. support personnel; that is not combat. Combat is offensive or defensive operations by organized forces to destroy the enemy and/or occupy territory by means of firepower, maneuver and close combat.
The Combat Arms are : the infantry, field artillery, anti-aircraft artillery, armor, aviation and sometimes; special forces. You decide whether females belong in any or all of those arms.
Combat Support - These are organizations within the combat zone , but not directly involved in combat operations. They are; the combat engineers, signal, medical, intelligence and sometimes military police. Females are already found in those units.
Combat Service Support are those in the area behind the combat zone; transport, ordnance, supply, maintenance. No problem with females here!
In the modern battlefield, any of these units could, conceivably encounter hostile forces, even in a rear area. That's why everyone needs basic combat training.
But generally, only combat units will face daily, 24 hour threat of death and the hardship of living in a hole or in an armored vehicle with others, in the same clothes for long periods of time. Only combat arms units will be required to take the fight to the enemy and the enemy will fight back!
I don't imagine that there will be large numbers of volunteers for front line duty. This is someone's vision of a utopian world.