Favorite unit from history.............

--

April 17th, 2004  
panzer

Topic: Favorite unit from history.............

OK I was sitting here reading some information on WW2 and was wondering what everyones favorite unit from any era was.......divison, army group, brigade, regiment you get the idea. OK people lets see some posts.

Oh yeah if you want you can post some information on why you chose this particular unit from history.

Waffen-SS Wiking Division:
They were mostly nordic vol. and fought on the Eastern front their entire existence. I can not read enough on this unit.

Plus Steiner was a very able commander.
April 17th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Maybe I've been watching too much Band of Brothers, but the bravery and superiority of Easy Company (506 PIR) is beyond comprehension.
April 17th, 2004  
panzer

Good movie and nice choice.
--
April 17th, 2004  
Sapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureRANGER
Maybe I've been watching too much Band of Brothers, but the bravery and superiority of Easy Company (506 PIR) is beyond comprehension.
Currahee! I agree. The 101 Airborne is my favourite unit of the war. It was the first airborne war attempt ever done - I think - and those men had to be very brave to volunteer to that.
April 17th, 2004  
Jamoni

20th Maine, baby.
Or maybe the Spartan 300.
OR the Zulu army as a whole.
(I'm going to stop now, cause we could be here a while if I don't).
April 17th, 2004  
panzer

I should have seen the 20th Maine coming, but I know what you mean about too many to list.
April 17th, 2004  
Mark Conley

The entire crew of the USS Laffey during the battle for Okinawa...the ship that fought back.

http://www.state.sc.us/patpt/laffey1.htm heres the link to this ships story

it aint alway the land that produces good unit coheisivness guys
April 17th, 2004  
Redneck

Roger's Rangers, baby. Probably one of the first Special Operations units, and with a name like "Roger's Rangers" what other reason do you need?
April 18th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: Ok.

Ok, there are allot, but since the american ones are covered by their guys, ill go with the
77th OZ Armored Regiment of the 7th Armored Brigade,IDF.
April 20th, 2004  
acilius

OK, this is a hard choise.

Since it is impossible to decide a single unit from the 1939-1940 war, I'll propably have to go with 7th finnish infantry regiment (1941-1944). The stuff they did at Tyrjä, Siiranmäki and Äyräpää were nothing short of amazing.