June 28th, 2004  
Uncle_Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman
Well i dunno its better than italian........i guess
That's for sure.
August 1st, 2004  
sorcino

Mod Edit: Try your post again, in English this time. Only after you read the forum rules and report to the Welcoming Center to post your introduction
--
Boots
August 26th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Sorcino you should read the rules first ... why don't you post it in English now? I apologize for Italy this time.
January 28th, 2005  
gingerbeard

Genghis Khan, Subadai, kublai Khan, Sun Tze, Napolean, Saladin, Guderian, Mao tse tung (invention of effective gorilla warfare, extensively used by the vietnamese based on mao's tactics), Bismark, Ferdrick the Great.
January 28th, 2005  
03USMC

Meritt Edson

Lewis Puller

Alexander Vandergrift

and Terry Allen
January 28th, 2005  
Charge 7

Good choices 03USMC. My dad always spoke highly of Vandergrift in particular.

My pics are:

At Gettysburg:

Col. Joshua Chamberlain (he made Maj. Gen. eventually, GuyontheRight)

Brig. Gen. George Judson Stannard - commanded the 8th Vermont at Gettysburg. It was their cannons that stopped Pickett's Charge and so turned the tide of the battle that turned the tide of the whole Civil War. I can be forgiven for being biased - he's a relative by marriage he he.

WWI:

General Hunter Liggett - I Corps Commander and the best strategist the Americans fielded in the Great War. It was his master stroke that saved Major Whittlesy and the "Lost Battalion" among many other well played actions.

WWII:

Vice Admiral (later Fleet Admiral) William F. Halsey - Much has been said both pro and con about his abilities, but he's my favorite for the simple fact that if not for him, my dad would've died and I would never have been born. When my dad was severely wounded he was among the three Marines Halsey had loaded into his personal airplane and evacuated. He barely made it in time.
January 31st, 2005  
Vitaly

Definetely the CSA commanders Thomas J. Jackson and Robert E. Lee. I also like Guderian and Col. Charlie Beckwith
February 3rd, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic_means
According to the audio essay attached to the movie as a special feature in the dvd version Patton's troops covered more ground, and inflicted more enemy casualties in less time than any other general in the history of the world. WOOOHOOO! You gotta love Patton!
Patton was very good, but he did that against sub-standard German troops who had very little air support whilst enjoying air supremacy himself. That must be taken into consideration. If Patton had achieved that against good German units like Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler or Grossdeutschland then it would have been most impressive indeed!

My favourite commander is Heinz Guderian, the father of Blitzkrieg and the German panzerwaffen. He was *the* master of armoured warfare in WW2.

I have to say while I think Rommel was a good commander, he is one of the most overrated in history.
February 7th, 2005  
Vitaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic_means
According to the audio essay attached to the movie as a special feature in the dvd version Patton's troops covered more ground, and inflicted more enemy casualties in less time than any other general in the history of the world. WOOOHOOO! You gotta love Patton!
Patton was very good, but he did that against sub-standard German troops who had very little air support whilst enjoying air supremacy himself. That must be taken into consideration. If Patton had achieved that against good German units like Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler or Grossdeutschland then it would have been most impressive indeed!

My favourite commander is Heinz Guderian, the father of Blitzkrieg and the German panzerwaffen. He was *the* master of armoured warfare in WW2.

I have to say while I think Rommel was a good commander, he is one of the most overrated in history.
Yes, Guderian is the master of all armor and is underrated too.