Favorite Battle? - Page 5

--
Boots

September 9th, 2004  
Trevor

Vimy ridge in WWI. It let the world know that Canadians were a tough fighting force.
September 10th, 2004  
Six

The Battle of Ia Drang, Vietnam. One of the few battles of that war that was done right.
September 20th, 2004  
sunb!

Topic: Khe Sahn

The battle of Khe Sahn and Da Nang and the campaign in Northern Norway when allied forces stopped and forced the German battlegroup on retreat in and around the city of Narvik.
--
Boots
March 23rd, 2005  
behemoth79

i love the battle of kursk. tank warefare rules.
March 24th, 2005  
Charge 7

For me it's Guadalcanal. In the earliest part it was the Marines alone against the Japanese land forces and naval forces. The Marines didn't even have the US Navy to support them as the US Naval commander had taken the ships all out of the area after the disaster of Savo Island.

I asked my father once when he was most afraid in WWII. He said it was watching the Navy ships steam away and leaving the Marines without even finishing unloading their supplies. He and his buddy sat down on a sea chest and cried their eyes out - they were both just 18 years old. They gave themselves just a few minutes of that and then they were back up and into the fight 'til the finish. US Marines have always stood tall, but never more so than when they stood alone.
March 24th, 2005  
Kilgore

Anything WW2 Eastern front for me. Stalingrad, Kursk, Kharkov, Fall of Berlin always interested me.
September 24th, 2005  
Padre

Rorke's Drift 1879

Honour on both sides. 11 VC's won by heros among the British

Brave Zulu's paid tribute to those who they could not defeat despite vastly superior numbers (5,000 Zulu's vs 145 British infantry & engineers)
September 24th, 2005  
Springfield

I liked the whole Operation Overlord. It's very interesting. I escpecially like the first part of Operation Overlord at the landings of the 5 beaches. Particularly Omaha Beach, of course.
December 15th, 2005  
Claymore

Hmmm...
This is a hard one for me to answer with just one. Or two... or three...

I guess if I were to have a gun to my head I would have to say

Gettysburg, The Cowpens (ARW), Bannockburn, or Waterloo

Sorry, can't narrow it down any more than that...
December 17th, 2005  
AussieNick

The Seige of Badajoz in the Peninsula War, or Buna Gona