Favorite Battle? - Page 2

--
Boots

March 7th, 2004  
Animal Mother

Verdun.

Would also say the battle of Poitiers, where the moslem advance north finally where halted by Charles Martel and the Franks. Who knows what would have happened if they had lost. Europe might have been looking very different.
March 7th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: Valley of tears.

Valley of Tears, 1973. One IDF armored betallion stops the entire syrian northern effort.
March 15th, 2004  
Jamoni

Toss up between gettysburg and the Normandy landings.
Gettysburg is so great because of the piecemeal way it formed. You had a bunch of troops milling about, and heres this central junction, and it just... happened. A few shots here, a few there, and the armies just kind of formed up as they arrived. Which led directly to Chamberlains triumph, because if the union left had been properly secured, he never would have been in danger. His quick thinking and the discipline of his troops truly won that battle.
Sherman's march is also up there, just cause he was such a cold S.O.B.
--
Boots
March 15th, 2004  
Popeye

Agreed about Col. Chamberlain, one of my favorites I must say!!
March 16th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Bulge
March 17th, 2004  
Steel On Target

I'd say General Hood's Atlanta and Tennessee Campaigns...very desperate struggles which displayed much bravery, especially on the Rebel side, from field commanders on down.
March 17th, 2004  
Janie

Most interested in Operation Delaware, begun 19 April 1968.
March 19th, 2004  
BunYap

Battle of Midway the truning point of WW2
March 27th, 2004  
acilius

Well I'd have to say its Äyräpää and Vuosalmi 1944. Without the victory there I'd be a russian now. My intrest in medieval warfare makes me also nominate Bouvines (1214).
March 31st, 2004  
Ace_22

battle of the bulge...Patton ruled...but then Rommel is cool as well...