Falkland island defence force pre 1982

Anton96

I've been reading about the falkland war recently. I have few questions related to the defence force and the equipment they used.

1- what small arms did they have? I've herd that they where using lee enfield mk4s and sterlings and Brens...

2- what pattern of webbing where they using?

3- does anyone have some good photos of the falkland island defence force?

Falklands War initial stage

The initial defense didn't amounted to too much since the population at the time was only slightly higher than 2K. The Argentinians basically just landed and took control after some minor skirmishes with the locals.

The initial defense didn't amounted to too much since the population at the time was only slightly higher than 2K. The Argentinians basically just landed and took control after some minor skirmishes with the locals.

Um no.
The Falkland Islands were defended by roughly 70 Royal Marines which was more than usual as they were in the middle of a unit rotation when the invasion occurred.
As I recall the number of troops available though was lower, around 50 as 2 detachments were sent with HMS Endurance to monitor Argentine movements.

stand corrected

Um no.
The Falkland Islands were defended by roughly 70 Royal Marines which was more than usual as they were in the middle of a unit rotation when the invasion occurred.
As I recall the number of troops available though was lower, around 50 as 2 detachments were sent with HMS Endurance to monitor Argentine movements.

Apologies I stand corrected, I thought the Islands had a nominal defense force similar to a militia. I didn't know Britain keep a small task force on board.

Apologies I stand corrected, I thought the Islands had a nominal defense force similar to a militia. I didn't know Britain keep a small task force on board.

The Falkland Islands Defence Force was a militia type unit of about 120 islanders but as I understand it they were not fully mobilised prior to the invasion and only about 20 of them took part in the invasion.

The only pictures I have seen of the FIDF at the time showed them in a mixture of clothing and unarmed.
Apparently this is 8 members of the FIDF surrendering but I am not all that certain...
falklands.jpg

The FIDF does have a web page though and they may be able to provide information...

http://www.fig.gov.fk/fidf/

Last edited:
Weapons

I've heard from a few sources that the FIDF wasn't very well equipped. Is it true they where still using MK4 lee enfields ?

I've heard from a few sources that the FIDF wasn't very well equipped. Is it true they where still using MK4 lee enfields ?

With regards to their uniforms in 1952 the FIDF adopted Royal Marine drill, trained with the Marines, and adopted a dress uniform similar to that of the Marines.

As for weapons all I know is that they had a LMG section and a 51mm light mortar section I have yet to find anything on their personal weapons.

The only picture I have found is a very grainy black and white of them in dress uniform with L1A1 rifles.

I like to see the Argies try and take it again, they'll find the place a lot heavier guarded this time round, I done a 4 month detachment there back in 1991 ;)

Back