"even if we did, we'd never ship to Iraq..."

13th, no apology needed. Candor and rants are the domain of soldiers but less frequently officers. Gator is right... I'm hoping your chain of command's english is less up to speed than yours or they're not internet savvy bruv... but then again you're short and its not like they could give you more of a hardship assignment. :)

My guess is that you could probably find true examples where US soldiers and their Coalition partners are without needed or desired equipment. I was aware of some issues when I was in a position to know first hand.

However Team Infidel is quite right about cases where the equipment is in fact supplied but soldiers turn their noses up at it and look for better stuff locally or O/S and pool money together from the section or platoon and order it in privately - sometimes from approved funds up the C of C.

Either way, I would want to know why SGT HESS placed the order, and if it was another case of wanting better stuff rather than not having the stuff, BEFORE I turned into a Left-Wing Troll taking a huge dunk on the President of the United States. The soldiers have my sympathy having had to sleep in not nice places for months on end myself but I never contemplated sending poison letters to PM's Howard or Blair or Mr. Bush.

I feel that this is a storm in a teacup (Little weeny coffee cup for you Americans). I can't for the life of me imagine any business owner deliberately committing business suicide in such a manner considering the current situation. Pakistani-Americans may be many things, but I'm sure that they still try to operate their businesses at a profit.

I would think that it is far more likely the action of a single disgruntled employee.

I agree, any assumption that this is not the actions of an employee are more racially based than anything else I would suggest. Given the social climate I seriously doubt anyone would destroy their business and put their family in physical danger over mats.

Well, I do not see the "Left-Wing Troll's" (whoever they are) pushing the Story, and I doubt I will.

We're ALWAYS looking for deals on stuff while deployed. Just because you go and search the civilian market doesn't mean you're lacking in equiptment. Most of the conventional units I've seen over here have some pretty nice creature comforts, stuff we didn't have back at the start of the war and stuff we didn't see because we didn't spend hardly any time in the FOBs.

If you've ever served in the military, you know there is ALWAYS something better to replace issued stuff with so when you get the opportunity, you go for it. Doesn't mean you're lacking in what you need.

As Infidel and Padre said, we're always looking to upgrade when we can and have the time and money to do so.

Their site is down... http://discount-mats.com/

Good for them. I hope they never get another customer and they go back to Pakistan.

That's the spirit, Pakistan, where he can get pissed off, pick up a Gun, and fight the United States Military in Afghanistan (and yell "Go back to America" while hes doing it) and then have the DoJ charge him with Treason, because he is an American Citizen.

Someone with such disregard for the people who provide him with the freedom to disrespect those same brave men and woman does not deserve to live here.

Hey, I can see myself going along with putting people up against a wall and killing them (after a quick trial of course) for not having at least my level of Patriotism and disagreeing with my view of Nationalism.
I'm just never put in charge of Agencies or Departments which would in the end deal with such things.

My guess is that you could probably find true examples where US soldiers and their Coalition partners are without needed or desired equipment. I was aware of some issues when I was in a position to know first hand.

However Team Infidel is quite right about cases where the equipment is in fact supplied but soldiers turn their noses up at it and look for better stuff locally or O/S and pool money together from the section or platoon and order it in privately - sometimes from approved funds up the C of C.

Either way, I would want to know why SGT HESS placed the order, and if it was another case of wanting better stuff rather than not having the stuff, BEFORE I turned into a Left-Wing Troll taking a huge dunk on the President of the United States. The soldiers have my sympathy having had to sleep in not nice places for months on end myself but I never contemplated sending poison letters to PM's Howard or Blair or Mr. Bush.

You make such great sense however I feel it went over some heads ;)

Their site is down... http://discount-mats.com/

Good for them. I hope they never get another customer and they go back to Pakistan.

Well this response is further indication that people simply don't read a post they merely skim it for parts they want to believe and ignore the rest.

So do any of those who prattle on about this being some anti-American immigrant attacking the nation that "gave him freedom" and I use that term loosely as according to some of the posters here he wouldn't have the freedom to oppose a war have any proof, evidence or indication that a Pakistani sent the email.

Seriously can any of you offer anything to indicate (not I am not asking for proof just an indication) that the owners version of what happened is not correct, I realise that this probably will interrupt the flow of flag waving rhetoric for a few seconds but who knows actually getting some fact into a discussion might be a welcome change.

Gator said:
Well, I do not see the "Left-Wing Troll's" (whoever they are) pushing the Story, and I doubt I will.

"Left Wing Troll" I suspect is a term a far right orientated person uses when they want to pretend to be centrist and is arguing with someone who doesn't share their views.

Last edited:
I dont blame that Sgt at all. For all we know he is a squared away team leader lookin out for his guys. NCO's like that build morale and inspire confidence in the people below them. Take care of your soldiers and they will take care of you.

Back