enlisted to officer... any success stories?

TRIGO

I'm an enlisted Air Force guy who would like to go officer... currently, I'm working on an engineering degree. anyone make the leap from enlisted to officer? if so, any advise/encouragement?

I went over to the dark side as an E-7 .. now a current serving 0-6. It is a different world, so make certain you understand the politics of it all. If you feel you can better serve your country, the military and the Air Force as an officer, go for it.

RnderSafe said:
I went over to the dark side as an E-7 .. now a current serving 0-6. It is a different world, so make certain you understand the politics of it all. If you feel you can better serve your country, the military and the Air Force as an officer, go for it.

I've got one up on you...not only did I go from Enlisted to Officer, but I changed services (Coast Guard to Army) to do it! (Don't ask... :? )

Koldun said:
I've got one up on you...not only did I go from Enlisted to Officer, but I changed services (Coast Guard to Army) to do it! (Don't ask... :? )

I started Army .. finishing Marines.

Rndr, no offense...

but holy crap! I didn't realize you were so high ranking and old! err...sir! :shock: :shock:

RnderSafe said:
SHERMAN said:
Rnder, dident you start in a whole diffrent country....?

Yes, Ireland. Unfortunately, rank doesn't carry over from one country's military to another. :lol:

What exactly does it take to be "transferred" from one country to another?
I'm a Dane and I'm dying to join the Army. (Wich I can't before I'm 18) But my biggest dream is to join the Marine Corps in the great big US of A. ^_^

The only soldiers transferred from Denmark to USA that I know of is;
B.S. Christiansen and Sepp Piontek (Abit famous in Denmark)

So my question is, is it something you volunteer to, or is it something you're selected to?

Sorry if I seem over-excited, but it's my greatest dream ever! ^_^

ENRG said:
What exactly does it take to be "transferred" from one country to another?
I'm a Dane and I'm dying to join the Army. (Wich I can't before I'm 18) But my biggest dream is to join the Marine Corps in the great big US of A.

So my question is, is it something you volunteer to, or is it something you're selected to?

You don't transfer services, you immigrate to the US, start an entirely new life, become a legal alien (or get your citizenship) and then sign up for Uncle Sam's military. It can be an easy or difficult process depending on your financial situation and if the red tape isn't so thick that month.

Rndrsafe wrote:
Yes, Ireland. Unfortunately, rank doesn't carry over from one country's military to another.

Hmm, not today, but my grandfather got to keep his British ranks when he joined the IDF.

My Co actually just retired I belive last month and he went to Gunny, than went to WO and than made it up to Col. We had a mess night for him and he was stacked.

When I saw him, one of the civilians in our building was showing us pics of him when he was in Nam and she said he was PVt Stevens and I was like no way. It's amazing the hard work that he must have put in to become an 0-6. More props to him. It can be done.

TRIGO said:
I'm an enlisted Air Force guy who would like to go officer... currently, I'm working on an engineering degree. anyone make the leap from enlisted to officer? if so, any advise/encouragement?
Retired General Tommy Franks was enlisted and became an officer. Seemed to work out well for him.

I know a good many officers that were former enlisted. In the Air Guard (or at least the PA Air Guard), they actively promote from within. They don't like someone fresh from college to waltz in and expect a commission. They prefer people with enlisted experience.

My last OIC is now a LTC and commands a unit in Western PA. He's slotted for the War College in Carlisle and thinks he can be the first non-rated (non aircrew) officer in the PA Air Guard to make general. I think he has a better than average shot.

Going from enlisted to officer makes for some amusing situations...

When I got my commission, my father (a Master Chief Petty Officer in the Coast Guard) was on hand to give me my first salute...much to my embarrassment and the amusement of many of the military guys present. (He still has the dollar displayed in his shadow box.)

Most of my closest buddies from my Coast Guard days are now Senior and Master Chiefs, and several are stationed within a day or so of where I live. I see them on a regular basis, and not a one of them can salute me without fighting a smile...much to the confusion of their younger subordinates.

In the British Forces, once you've reached chief warrant officer you can become an officer, even without a degree.

Back