Does the media over report?

Does the media over report?

• Yes, they beat the dead horse again and again and...

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No, the media coverage is sufficient.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • who cares!!!

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

A few days after 9/11, I basically did not watch the news anymore because the media was basically reporting the same thing over and over and over. When I got back from Iraq, I was excited to hear regular news for a change. That excitement was met with disappointment. My first few days back in the states was listening to 24 hour coverage of the blackout that gripped NYC and the Northeast. A week ago I could not find anything else on the news networks for they were all covering the mysterious gas odor in NYC. Now I am very irratated to continuously be reminded of the 2 kidnapped boys that have been rescued in Missouri.

I think the media over reports. They leave me wanting for variety. I have gone as far as to watch local news since they do not spend hours on one story. Anyone else feel this way?

A few days after 9/11, I basically did not watch the news anymore because the media was basically reporting the same thing over and over and over. When I got back from Iraq, I was excited to hear regular news for a change. That excitement was met with disappointment. My first few days back in the states was listening to 24 hour coverage of the blackout that gripped NYC and the Northeast. A week ago I could not find anything else on the news networks for they were all covering the mysterious gas odor in NYC. Now I am very irratated to continuously be reminded of the 2 kidnapped boys that have been rescued in Missouri.

I think the media over reports. They leave me wanting for variety. I have gone as far as to watch local news since they do not spend hours on one story. Anyone else feel this way?

Just look at the coverage of that so-called murderer of Jon Bennet Ramsey or mine explosion in east coast or whatever.

They have nothing worthy to cover therefore they keep repeating BS over and over again and then once they run out of ideas or news, they keep repeating some thing similar again. Thats why I don't watch major news networks any more. It's pathetic...

I am glad internet is around.

you have no idea. if it bleeds it leads. they will just over report stuff the arab world could care less about.

I wish they would just shut UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like BBC World News for an overview of what's going on, I also like when G. Gordon Liddy reads me the news, and I like NPR.
I try to stay away from the 24 hour News people, as they just stick with whatever is bright on the radar screen, even after everyone knows about it, even if there are no updates to the story.

the only newspaper i like to read in the Christian Science Monitor.

G. Gordon Liddy will read the paper for you Major, he likes the Times, Washington Times that is. He views the Washington Post as Fish Wrap or something along those lines.

They don't over report Doody, they MIS-report and they lead the public's attention away from critical issues by rambling on about inane bullcrap like Brittney Spears third nipple or some bullcrap "human interest" story when they should be investing time and resources into time sensitive issues that they public in a responsible democracy need to be informed about in a clear and UNBIASED fashion with accurate information... oh :cen:ing well, pardon me if I don't hold my breath and wait for this to happen as Jefferson laid out in his discourses on the fourth pillar of democracy.

Rant over.

Like any other company they are out to make a profit, telling the truth is not high up on their list of priorities.

Like any other company they are out to make a profit, telling the truth is not high up on their list of priorities.

I disagree, the truth is very high on their list of priorities they report their version of the truth just the same as everyone else, are they guilty of over reporting and exageration sure they are but who isn't.

Unfortunately people tend to look at news that doesnt suit them as poor reporting, bias or lies which is one of the reasons you end up with factions supporting different new organisations ie the right love Fox and the left NYT when in reality they both report the same story just from a different angle and neither are necessarily lying.

I think what people tend to over look though is that they are in the business of making money and if the methods they use were not acceptable to the majority of their audience they wouldnt make money so in the end you get what you pay for.

In President Jefferson's own words;

“[T]he artillery of the press has been leveled against us, charged with whatsoever its licentiousness could devise or dare. These abuses of an institution so important to freedom and science are deeply to be regretted...” —Thomas Jefferson

In President Jefferson's own words;

“[T]he artillery of the press has been leveled against us, charged with whatsoever its licentiousness could devise or dare. These abuses of an institution so important to freedom and science are deeply to be regretted...” —Thomas Jefferson

Actually its a fairly typical statement when an issue is looked at with one eye closed and probably one of his poorer quotes because it automatically through its wording creates and "us and them" environment and then assumes that the "us" side is the right one. When in reality the "truth" of an argument lies somewhere on a line between the two parties rarely in the middle and never solely at one end.

The concept of Freedom of the Press, and Freedom of Speech were not carved in stone within the Bill of Rights to protect the Press and Population when the Press and Population are Reporting and or saying things the Federal Government wants to hear, but rather to protect the Press and Population from the Government while in the process of saying things the Federal Government may not or does not wish to hear at the time.

One would think someone as, at least purportedly, intelligent and who was well versed in the Bill of Rights, as President Jefferson was would not have to have all that explained to him.

I will point out though that untruths are not covered items as far as Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Speech, but Truths, not protected by National Security issues, are covered items.
As such it is perfectly legal to yell "Fire" in a crowded Theater, as long as there is in fact a Fire in said Theater, even if the action of yelling "Fire" causes someone to be hurt because of any evacutation en masse.

Monty, when was the last time you heard anyting positive about Iraq? Exactly. I win.

So in your opinion Iraq is the only thing happening in world?

Just because the media doesn't report "positively" on Iraq doesn't actually make it wrong now I am aware that you want positives on Iraq because you believe that is your "reality" but I would bet pretty much anything that if they also posted "positives" about Iran, Syria or Cuba on the same page you and the rest of ideologues on this board would be declaring it lies and liberal mumbo jumbo. So please spare me the "media is out to get us" nonsense and realise that sometimes you are not always going to be on the popular side.

So in your opinion Iraq is the only thing happening in world?

Just because the media doesn't report "positively" on Iraq doesn't actually make it wrong now I am aware that you want positives on Iraq because you believe that is your "reality" but I would bet pretty much anything that if they also posted "positives" about Iran, Syria or Cuba on the same page you and the rest of ideologues on this board would be declaring it lies and liberal mumbo jumbo. So please spare me the "media is out to get us" nonsense and realise that sometimes you are not always going to be on the popular side.

Within the 2 concepts of the Press and Speech, there is only a Right in Law covering the Right of the Press to Report, and the Right for People to Speak freely, there is no such right to have ones message heard, read, or disseminated.
And there in lies the confusion, as some people wish a Right in Law to have there own message heard, and heard by all, while at the same time have any message they happen to disagree with stifled.

I'm saying news should be proportional to what is actually happening. Reporters should cover both sides of the stories, rather than calling our troops unjust occupiers of a foreign land and talking about what a handful of Marines did four months ago they should also talk about the number of hospitals and schools that have been built or improved. (In the latter example, there have been over 10,000 schools and hospitals built/rebuilt since 2003 yet nothing has been said in the media.) And every minute the media spends talking about a murder in some small rural community and saying "if it can happen here it can happen to you!" the should spend ten minutes talking about the number of non-fatal traffic accidents in America since violent crimes are vastly outnumbered by accidents such as those yet unless there are 200 cars (like in France a couple weeks ago) it never sees the light of day. Or here's a gream example, Beckam coming to America, who the hell cares? Americans don't, it's just soccer, so why is it that everytime I turn on the news for the last week I hear that it is the biggest thing to happen since individually wrapped cheese slices? It's the number 16 sport in America behind NASCAR, NFL, MLB, college football, high school football, NBA, men's college basketball, PGA, NHL, men's college hockey, men's college baseball, women's college basketball, women's college hockey, women's college softball, and curling.

Truth of the matter is life is not near so bleak as the press will have you think, but good news doesn't capture the audience and it doesn't bring in the advertisement dollars.

Back