Disgrace of a Congressman and Fighter Pilot

Indeed...

One thing I would like to bring up to bring this back on target is that one should not completely write this gentleman and accomplished fighter pilot off for a lapse in judgement. Hero worship is a dangerous zero sum game and should be avoided in my humble opinion. Yes he made a mistake, a major mistake but then who hasn't? Its all too easy to sit behind a keyboard and sit in judgement of someone else. Judge not lest ye be judged seems to ring a bell.

Well anyway you may be right , bulldogg, because tonight Jay Leno made a few jokes about Cunningham on the Tonight Show. If that is any indication of anything, it seems that some people can to some extent forgive his failings.

Sorry guys, for sliding off topic. But I'm not used to being compared to a anti-semite yet. But I forgot that all Dutch are anti-semites... :D , actually aren't all Europeans... ah never mind; it's off topic again!!

Actually where are we regarding the topic? I lost it out of site.....

west-showtime.jpg

Boyne_PIC_MiG.jpg

I take some exception to some of the above postings

I really don't mean to rock the boat, but war experience - military service- civilian service, etc means absolutely nothing in the discussion of the violation of the public trust in Mr Cunninghams case.

He could have been the greatest pilot in history and outscored every pilot that ever flew - the skills of a warrior are NOT the true measure of the trustworthiness of an individual.

We don't know (and never will know) just how honest and trustworthy Mr Cunningham has been during his lifetime. Let's face it, Benedict Arnold was trusted enough that Washington assigned him one of the key positions in our Army and look what happened. It was only by accident that we found out how untrustworthy and despicable Arnold really was.

I WOULD like to believe that this character flaw was a late development in Mr Cunningham's life that was caused by unimaginable pressure to 'take take take' that is so prevalent in Washington DC.

As veterans, we have had many opportunities to water the tree of liberty with our blood. It absolutely saddens me that someone with Mr Cunninghams military service and record could fall so far.

Chief Bones said:
I take some exception to some of the above postings
I agree with you, and based on what you said I am real glad to have you as one of our newer members. I look forward to seeing more from you.
:D

Chief, you have more eloquently laid out what I was trying to say about the dangers of hero worship.

Back