Difference between Infantry and Artillery?

--

November 23rd, 2004  
Italian Guy

Topic: Difference between Infantry and Artillery?

Can anyone explain me what the difference between Artillery and Infantry is? Thanks.
does this vary from country to country?

Yours,
Tiffany
November 23rd, 2004  
dougal

Personality!1

Big time
November 23rd, 2004  
AussieNick

Quote:
Personality!1

Big time
This I don't understand

But as for the difference between artillery and infantry, artillery fire big guns from a long distance and provide support on the battlefield. Infantry close with and eliminate the enemy in close contact. That is as simple as I can think to put it.
--
November 23rd, 2004  
soulja

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
Quote:
Personality!1

Big time
This I don't understand

But as for the difference between artillery and infantry, artillery fire big guns from a long distance and provide support on the battlefield. Infantry close with and eliminate the enemy in close contact. That is as simple as I can think to put it.
Pretty much it, before Infantry close on their target the artillery will bomb the hell out of the place to make the infantries job a bit easier.
November 23rd, 2004  
AussieNick

Or when the infantry get themselves in too deep, the artillery lay it on thick to help them out.
November 23rd, 2004  
sunb!

Another important thing is to locate and counter fire enemy artillery units.

Oh and their personality.... I won't draw parallells
November 23rd, 2004  
Italian Guy

thanks guys. Because I thought air force bombed a target before infantry did its job. So by artillery you mean tanks and small range rockets? By infantry you just mean soldiers on feet or jeep?
November 23rd, 2004  
soulja

Not exactly tanks i dont think, i dont exactly know what they are but these big cannon-type things. They are air lifted from place to place is my idea of artillery but I dont think a tank is classed as artillery.
And yes Infantry as in men (they arent just in jeeps and on foot though, they come in planes, armoured vehicles, choppers everything!)
November 23rd, 2004  
03USMC

ARTILLERY Consists of Towed howitzers like the M198 155 mm, Self propelled Howitzers in 8 inch and 155mm. The Marines also field a towed 105mm howitzer.

MLRS is considered Rocket Artillery

Naval Gunfire while different in trajectory is considered Naval Artillery.
November 23rd, 2004  
EuroSpike

The difference between infantry and artillery is that the infantry's purpose is to be fighting unit holding areas and do the dirty work. Mortar's and Artillery's purpose is to support infantry's job with indirect fire spotted by artillery spotter squads wich are hanging around with infantry.

Artillery is the best friend and the worst enemy of the infantry. For example useful in softing enemy before assault, defend against attackin enemy units and to temporarly close some area which enemy is not wished to use.

"Another important thing is to locate and counter fire enemy artillery units. "

As important is to knock out enemy arty spotters or another way to disable their ability to act. For artillery important is also to change position quick after rounds have been fired before enemy is up to spot and start counterfire.