Difference between Infantry and Artillery? - Page 5

--

November 25th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC88mm
actually, the chinese 155mm GUn-HOWtizer is both direct fire and indirect, its very capable of kiling a tank if directed and aimed wiht a laser range finder

btw, the chinese has a couple thousand of these toys planned for thenext 5 years[/img]
155mm with different AT ammunitions is enough to penetrate and gives a hard punch without penetration but think about which one is going to win, a modern MBT or an immobile arty piece? Howitzer may shoot once and due to immobility stays on field as a sitting duck. When spotted, it will be an easy target for a modern MBT. Howitzers are also quite bad to take punishment from enemy indirect fire. Guns agains tanks belong to times of WW1 and 2.

Of course if you got guns enough, just put them all line and engage incoming tanks. Don't care about casualties because gun is only a gun purchased with money and the crew is only a few pieces of meat easily replaced.
November 25th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Excellent. Go ahead and use it on somebody then.

Quote:
actually, the chinese 155mm GUn-HOWtizer is both direct fire and indirect, its very capable of kiling a tank if directed and aimed wiht a laser range finder

btw, the chinese has a couple thousand of these toys planned for thenext 5 years[/img]
November 26th, 2004  
MadeInChina

off cource, the chinese will never have a huge no-man's land in a war, that is learned from the soviets when fighting a superior quality army( nowadays, will change in the future) If the frontlines are kept only a hundred meters from the us troops, then the chinese will ahve a huge advantage as the us are afraid to use their weapons on their own troops

the 155mm could fire 20 miles ot, a range no us tank could match, and if spotted by chinese inf, they will point a laser sight on the tank and the 155 will fire a gujided missile
--
November 26th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

It can direct-fire 20 miles?? I'm impressed!!

Along those lines, take a Paladin or foreign equivalent self-propelled artillery. In a direct fire match, the round from the Paladin is throwing a much larger projectile. Still, I wouldn't advise anything like that being the battlefield norm. Artillery's role of hammering an enemy area before advancing will remain essential on the battlefield for a long time to come.
November 26th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
off cource, the chinese will never have a huge no-man's land in a war, that is learned from the soviets when fighting a superior quality army( nowadays, will change in the future) If the frontlines are kept only a hundred meters from the us troops, then the chinese will ahve a huge advantage as the us are afraid to use their weapons on their own troops

the 155mm could fire 20 miles ot, a range no us tank could match, and if spotted by chinese inf, they will point a laser sight on the tank and the 155 will fire a gujided missile

"If the frontlines are kept only a hundred meters from the us troops, then the chinese will ahve a huge advantage as the us are afraid to use their weapons on their own troops"

If i understod correctly, you mean the used security range between target area and the nearest own unit and the range depends on the firing artillery unit? Security range with light mortars less, 155mm more. Certainly it is possible to care a **** about security ranges if needed and it is up to forward observer's skills, just adjust arty fire more accurate not to hit own troops and so give no advantage of close range for enemy.

"It can direct-fire 20 miles?? I'm impressed!!"

So am i. Ammunition must be somekind of anti-material. Alien technology 8)
November 26th, 2004  
A Can of Man

With a touch of propaganda, the local pig raised by hard working, pure hearted farmers can outrun a porsche.

Anyways, artillery is just more practical being indirect fire weapons. There's too much limitations on how a direct fire artillery piece can be used.
November 27th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

I see some people have had questions about the capabilities of Artillery. Since I am an Forward Observer, I will spill what I know.

US ARMY

60mm mortars
range: 3400m
burst radius: 25m
Ammo: HE (high explosive), WP (white phosphorus)

81mm Mortars
range: 5400m
burst radius: 30m
Ammo: HE, WP, RP (red phosphorus), illumination

105mm Artillery
range: 19,500m
burst radius: 35m
Ammo: HE QUICK, HE DELAY, HE CP (CONCRETE PIERCING), WP, RP, HE TIME, HE VT (Variable time), ICM (improved conventional munitions), Illumination, FASCAM (mines)

155mm Artillery
range: 30,000m
burst radius: 50m
Ammo: same as 105

Ammo types

HE QUICK: high explosive round that explodes on impact
HE DELAY: high explosive round that explodes .005 seconds after impact
HE CP: high explosive round that explodes .25 seconds after impact
HE VT: high explosive round that explodes 20m above target area
HE TIME: high explosive round that explodes above the target, set by time of flight
ICM: like a cluster bomb. Bomblets leave round in the air, land on the ground and explode.
Illum: lights the night for 2 minutes or more
WP, RP: phosphorus rounds
RAAMS: remote anti armor mine system
ADAM: areal denial artillery munitions (anti personnel)

USES

HE QUICK: troops in the open, prone, light armor, vehicles
HE DELAY: troops in the tree line, light earthworks, heavy armor
HE CP: bunkers, buildings
HE TIME/VT: troops in trenches, foxholes, trucks, open, prone
WP, RP: fuel points, vehicles, equipment
the rest should be self explainitory

that should be everything. The range of the 155mm ARTY has changed since I got in. I am not too sure of the exact range of it. If anyone needs anything explained more, just ask

SGT Doody
November 27th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

So Doody, what 155mm artillery round is a direct fire with 20 mile range?
November 27th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

what is your definition of direct fire. THat has been debated on this thread and I am not which definition to use
November 27th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Shooting relatively straight, similar to a tank round or a bullet.