Difference between Infantry and Artillery? - Page 3

--

November 23rd, 2004  
WannabeRanger

Topic: reply

good one Swordfish
November 23rd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

One of the most important functions of any single category of the military is to make fun of all of the others. Not sure why?
November 23rd, 2004  
Hegario

Well everyone has pride in their own branch of service, and also because in most cases they don't have the slightest idea what the other branches do.

Somebody should come up with a list that also has AA-forces listed in it. I basically consider myself a "tubef****r" anyway.
--
November 23rd, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
One of the most important functions of any single category of the military is to make fun of all of the others. Not sure why?
To feel own unit the best and feel proud of to belong that. Purpose is to raise the spirit of the unit stronger.
November 24th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike
The difference between infantry and artillery is that the infantry's purpose is to be fighting unit holding areas and do the dirty work. Mortar's and Artillery's purpose is to support infantry's job with indirect fire spotted by artillery spotter squads wich are hanging around with infantry.
you're talking about me, the Forward Observer and my FIST (Fire Support Team) 8)

Basically things go like this. If a weapon's primary roll is direct fire, meaning seeing the enemy before you shoot, then it is not artillery. There are times when tanks have been used as artillery. Sadam use to have his tanks dive up on angled berms to act as artillery against Iran. On the flip side, if a weapon's primary roll is to shoot at a target that cannot be seen, then it is artillery. As an FO, I tell the Artillery where to shoot and adjust the rounds on to the target

DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!!!

sorry for the outburst. artillery can shoot directly at targets. This is called direct lay. If an artillery unit is shooting direct lay, the of factor is definitely in effect.
November 24th, 2004  
MadeInChina

artillery is a very powerful piecein warafare.. during world war two the soviets called their artiller: god of war...

in the battle for poland, the russians concentgrated 400-500 heavy artillery pieces every mile, giving the soviets a huge punch in which the artillery barage of sommes during WWI pales in comparison

but if ur dealing with teh big league here, the uss iowa and missouri and various other ships of the same class has gun turrets that seriously own in an marine operation... 16 inchers, enough to launch a fatass through
November 24th, 2004  
sunb!

And then we have light artillery, heavy artillery, the big and really devistating naval artillery, light mortar fire, medium mortar fire, heavy mortar fire....

Infantry; well, there is light infantry, mechanized infantry and the Norwegian crazy head Storm infantry; read more on http://www.haaland.info/norway/storm/index.html

The list goes on and on and on...

November 24th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Some day in the distant future, there will be a "Orbital Heavy Bombardment" division of Artillery.
November 24th, 2004  
Redleg

The FIRE is Everything, the rest Nothing...

ULTIMA RATIO REGUM

http://www.military-quotes.com/artillery%20quotes.htm
November 24th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike
The difference between infantry and artillery is that the infantry's purpose is to be fighting unit holding areas and do the dirty work. Mortar's and Artillery's purpose is to support infantry's job with indirect fire spotted by artillery spotter squads wich are hanging around with infantry.
you're talking about me, the Forward Observer and my FIST (Fire Support Team) 8)

Basically things go like this. If a weapon's primary roll is direct fire, meaning seeing the enemy before you shoot, then it is not artillery. There are times when tanks have been used as artillery. Sadam use to have his tanks dive up on angled berms to act as artillery against Iran. On the flip side, if a weapon's primary roll is to shoot at a target that cannot be seen, then it is artillery. As an FO, I tell the Artillery where to shoot and adjust the rounds on to the target

DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!!!

sorry for the outburst. artillery can shoot directly at targets. This is called direct lay. If an artillery unit is shooting direct lay, the of factor is definitely in effect.
Forward observer was the right term in "London language" that i had forgotten! If artillery is in a situation where to shoot direct lay, someone has screwed up very badly If wasn't purposed to get artillery to front to support infantry with direct lay fire.